Ex pat experience in Cambodia

OK you asked for it so here goes! After I received my divorce settlement. On my bucket list for the last 10 years was to see & explore Angkor Watt Temple. So in the course of my jurney through Thailand, Cambodia & Vietnam I did just that and was amazed by the experience as I presume most people are. BUT,,,, what amazed me most, was and still does after nearly three years is the people of Cambodia!! If you've been here you'll know what I mean and if you haven't been here, comes for yourselves. I became a volunteer English teacher after meeting my now adopted son, Sophach & his fiancée by chance at a small local diner 200 meters from my hotel. He was and still is the Educational directory of a English free school & NGO (none Government organisation) named, My Happy Village Cambodia. (Myhappyvillagecambodia.org) My first stay here was a learning curve, I was teaching English in a small village named Svey Chento in Prey Cherook Province during the day and sleeping on the floor of the very, very basic traditional Cambodian house on stilts @ night under a mozzy net and with a fan powered by a car battery using a splash shower, squat toilet and all our water coming from a large pond in the garden! I returned to England to my one bedroomed flat in Cornwall and immediately missed the life I had been leading in Beautiful Cambodia. I booked my return flight the next day, flying out six weeks later to stay this time for three months. I Had so missed the very polite, cour'teous, and very respectful students who were so willing to learn my language. As for the water!!!! We had to do something. So we built a water tower & plumbed in a shower. I bought 42 water purifiers and dished them out to 41 families in our village. I also bought 3 Solar panels that supplied 6 houses with enough power so that the batteries became redundant but still so much to do, where do I stop. Anyway my 3 months flew in. I met Sophachs's fiancée's family who are now my family and went back reluctantly to England. I missed their wedding but was back again I hope for good 3 months later with a 12 month visa. I built a house for the 3 of us and moved to Siemens Reap where I met and fell in love with my beautiful Khmer wife Ly Na or Nasa as she prefers. We are now building our own place on her own land and can't wait to move in. There is so very much I have left out but I think you would have to experience living here to a precise it all. I now at 66 years old have a new life, a new wife a car a dog & a new house on the way and I am in heaven.

What an amazing story. It looks like your journey is just beginning.  Sorry, my name is John. I also fell in love with Cambodia last year. I started off in the Phillipines,  then Vietnam,  Laos and Cambodia. I did this trip with partner Josh. I am coming over again with my dear friend of 25 years in October for 2 months. I will also meet up with Josh again.  I really fell in love with the country and people.  We are thinking of setting up a Marigold hotel so other retired people can experience Cambodia as well. Good luck to you. My journey is just beginning also. It would be great to have a chat at some point.

A good read and a lovely story with the necessary positive attitude. Thanks for sharing.

Beautiful journey and lovely story...
:heart: God bless all wish to have a similar challenge, sounds very nice.
Good luck dear lots of love and hapiness.  :heart: