UK citizenship for ex-UK colony born people

Hi there,

I'm seeking for a (direct or indirect) testimony or at least some hints about UK naturalisation for Kenyans (or other nationals of ex-UK African countries). There is an official UK government document which stipulates that people born in Kenya between 1949 and 1963 were considered UK & UK colony nationals. The same holds true for other ex-UK colonies up to the date of their independence, Nigeria, Ghana etc.

I just came across it.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s … lonies.pdf

Quote:
"The significance of a territory which came within the UK and Colonies was, of
course, that by virtue of a connection with such a territory a person could become a
CUKC." <sic> (citizen of the UK and colonies).

I've read on a website for naturalisations that people born in the former colonies can apply for UK citizenship based on this old law without having to have any direct relation to UK ancestors.

My wife is Kenyan, born in the UK Colony of Kenya in 1962, so she should qualify. I'm wondering if it is worth applying and how complicated and fast the process is. Any hint is appreciated.

(I am Swiss btw, so no direct help from myself ;))
Cheers

My wife was born in Kenya in 1962.  We had to apply  through the usual channels for her to gain British citizenship, based on our marriage.  The UK authorities didn't make it very easy either and that was about 15 years ago.

I understand that the status of 'CUKC' doesn't give you the right to live in the UK.  To the best of my knowledge its now very difficult to gain naturalisation from this status.

I found this:

"Birth in the Kenya Protectorate

If a person was born in the Kenya Protectorate BEFORE Independence, then they automatically became a British Protected Person (a BPP). On Independence Day, the Kenyan Constitution dictated who became Kenyan citizens and who did not. If neither parent was born in an area that made up modern-day Kenya, then that person did NOT get Kenyan Citizenship on Independence. Likewise, if that person's father OR Paternal Grandfather was born anywhere which remained a UK Colony, Protectorate or Protected State AFTER Independence (with the exception of Northern Rhodesia), then that person would also NOT become a Kenyan Citizen. Finally, if that person's father or Paternal Grandfather was Naturalised or Registered in a place that remained part of the UK & Colonies on Independence, then that person would also NOT get Kenyan Citizenship.

In these circumstances, this person would become a British Protected Person (BPP). It is possible under some circumstances to upgrade a BPP into full British Citizenship."