Close

NIE application

can you apply for your national identidad extranjero from the UK,  if you're going to live on spain?
or, do you have to go personally to the town?
can a lawer do this for you?

NIE is the foreigner's I D number  (Número Identificación Extranjeros)

If you are moving to Spain them you need to register on the EU Citizens Register,   That must be done personally in Spain, at the National Police station for the area where you are living/staying at the time. 

It should be done more or less immediately when you arrive i.e. the 3month / 183 day rules do not apply.

When you register, if you do not already have an NIE, the number you will get on the certificate is just that.

ok thanks for your reply. 
it's just that I thought my wife,  who's venezolana , has to apply for a visa before going.  she needs the NIE to get the visa. I was told you could give power of attorney to someone in Spain and hey could apply for you. the consul in Edinburgh won't reply to my emails querying this. they still have my wifes passport, so we will need to get it back for the NIE.

My wife Is Filipino so I do know, 

You do not need an NIE to obtain a visa to visit Spain.   

That also applies even of that person intends to apply to RESIDENCIA (i.e. as a non EU citizen) when they get here.

NB  My post was in relation to you MOVING TO SPAIN,  Your position would be different if you just coming to Spain just for a short period and not working, say to buy a holiday home

thanks for the info.
we are buying a house in Spain and going to live there.
We are in process of getting visa for residencia in Spain for my wife and the consul in Edinburgh needs NIE. also HIV test and chest xray for her med certificate, even though we've lived in Scotland for 2 years now.

I can only assumed you have misunderstood what the consul told you,

You do not need an NIE to apply for a visa but you would have been told that to buy a property in Spain one will need an NIE. 

AS I understand:    You will need to be resident in Spain in order for you wife to apply for Residencia under the rules of reunificación de familia.    You will need to research how that will work.

In my case I had been resident in Spain 20 years when my wife made the application for Residencia. 

I believe you would have to establish your permanent status as a resident before your wife can make the application to join you.  As I said you will need to research that.

So if you both come to Spain, your wife as a  visitor on a Schengen visa,  to buy a property, you can both apply for an NIE when here.  But if YOU come with the intention of living here permanently then you will need or Register on the EU Citizens Register immediately. 

As I understand, your wife would of course have to leave at the end of her permission to stay, as granted by the Schengen visa  But research it

ok thanks again. I will investigate this some more.  it would help if the consul wasn't so busy and would answer the phone.

I thought I needed to apply for NIE, but then looked at my VISA and they automatically assign an NIE number with your VISA. If you apply for a VISA, you don't need another application.

I would be really surprised of you got an NIE with your visa,.  The visa is a Schengen Visa and so not actually connected with the Spanish requirement for an NIE, which applies only to Spain.

My wife got a visa in Philippines with the intention of settling in Spain with me where I lived. She did not get an NIE until she obtained her Residencia in Spain,

In 20 years working with the National Police in Spain (the immigration paperwork authority) I have never heard that before.

I on' have a Schengen VISA. I have a VISA to do my doctorate at a University. The NIE is printed on my VISA.

*don't

Marni,  I have not had experience with Students Visas.

However having now checked I see that your experience as a student to study in Spain is unfortunately of no assistance to those who are not making such an application.

John

ok thanks very much guys, she got through to the consulate in edinburgh finally so we're making some progress! today blood tests. then another appointment at the consulate.

Johncar :

I would be really surprised of you got an NIE with your visa,.  The visa is a Schengen Visa and so not actually connected with the Spanish requirement for an NIE, which applies only to Spain.

My wife got a visa in Philippines with the intention of settling in Spain with me where I lived. She did not get an NIE until she obtained her Residencia in Spain,

In 20 years working with the National Police in Spain (the immigration paperwork authority) I have never heard that before.

Our visas (pasted by the Spanish Consulate in San Francisco) had our NIEs on them.  The number is the same as the one that is on our tarjeta residencias, issued later.  Depending on the type of visa, it's quite regular for the NIE to be issued as part of the visa process.

suds57 :

thanks for the info.
we are buying a house in Spain and going to live there.
We are in process of getting visa for residencia in Spain for my wife and the consul in Edinburgh needs NIE. also HIV test and chest xray for her med certificate, even though we've lived in Scotland for 2 years now.

Suds, they make everyone get the health certificate.  We had to get them for our whole family when we moved from the USA.  They didn't make us do the chest x-ray, though.

You can have someone apply for you to get the NIE ahead of time if you wish. There are gestors and abogados that offer this service online.  Of course, their services cost money and embassy or consulate offices are supposed to also be able to issue you a Spanish NIE, so it is a little bit confusing that your consulate is telling you that you need one prior to applying for the visa.

Finally, as others have mentioned, for some visas part of the application process you'll get the NIE issued directly as part of the visa itself.  On mine, it says "N.I.E. XXXXXXXX" right on the visa.

Likewise, I also needed to do blood work for HIV, Hep B, Rabies, etc. and a chest X-ray...I moved to Spain from Canada.  So this seems to be common.  And, as mentioned above, my NIE was issued on my Visa.  I had wished someone had told me that it would be, as I was in the process of applying for my NIE  and then noticed I had one.  It would have reduced stress for sure.  Once noticing my NIE, I was able to get a bank account and install services (internet, mobile phone, cable & utilities) at my condo in a matter of 2 days.
Also, note that, when installing services, if you mention that your preferred language is English, when you call the company, they will put you in the queue for an English speaking Customer Service Representative...but you must request this.

Papa   they make everyone get the health certificate.

Just for general info

When my filipina wife applied for a 90 day tourist visa in Manila, to enable her to travel to Spain where she could apply for Residencia status, she was not required to provide any health information.

In her case, just as with any tourist visa application, she did not need to have an NIE when she applied.  When she was subsequently granted Residencia status in Spain, of course the Residencia card bore an NIE

But it maybe that the requirements have changed.

Marni  Also, note that, when installing services, if you mention that your preferred language is English, when you call the company, they will put you in the queue for an English speaking Customer Service Representative...but you must request this.

Although customer attention services are increasingly providing assistance in English that is not universally so.  Hence the reason that for 20 years I have been providing a voluntary assistance service in English at a National Police station. There is a similar service at a nearby Guardia Civil office which I also set up 20 years ago,  but I am not aware of any other police stations where such a service is provided. That is of course not saying that no such service provide at any other police station.  ( But, one swallow does not a summer make).

To be more specific, the CSRs at Movistar advised me that I'm in an English speaking queue, when I requested it. The agents at Movistar advised me to request this for utility services as well, which is what I did. (By services, I meant utilities, cable, internet, etc., I can even do my online banking in English).

Movistar provides telecommunications services, such as: mobile phone, land line, cable TV and Internet. While I cannot speak for all Telcos, the businesses typically provide comparable services. Even when I worked for a Telco in Western Canada 20 years ago, there were queues with bilingual agents in over 30 languages.

After I call in to the business, I will receive a voice automated call back also in English asking me to rate my experience.  While most of the technicians speak Spanish, there is a note on the file advising them this is an English speaking customer.

Marni. I am pleased you were able to find an English speaking service with one company, but, as I said, readers shouldn’t expect to find such a service at most places in Spain.
Albeit that shops and restaurants staff often have enough vocabulary to get by with non-Spanish  speaking customers.

As an  example: I have spent several hours this morning at my local town hall, which is in a busy tourist area where many properties are foreign owned, however, I was obliged to carry out all the conversations, in several offices, in Spanish as no one spoke enough English to carry out a reasonable comprehensible conversation
Moral:   Do not expect to find English speakers,  just be appreciative when you do

Yes, I understand. My point was specific to service companies for utilities etc. I'm in Tarragona and, while I have been studying Spanish, most people in shops address me first in Catalan and they don't speak English. It appears that the language of choice here goes in this order: Catalan, Spanish, French, English, Italian... I can converse well in German, but nobody here seems to speak that either.  So, I'm limited to my broken Spanish in shops.

And, I understand also that Catalan is a region specific language and that most people moving to Spain won't encounter this issue, unless of course they are in the Catalan region. Also, I have found that, in Barcelona, there is a stronger presence of English, but this is more in the tourist area.

Now, I recently found that if I switch my first language in Duolingo (a free site for language learning) from English to Spanish, I have access in this site to learn Catalan. Catalan is not available for English speakers, for whatever reason. Then, if I want to focus on Spanish, I change the first language back to English.  And, of course, both Catalan and Spanish are accessible using the Google translation app, which was useful when I had to register my apartment lease at City Hall.

My comments included utility companies.

Not wishing to be pedantic but an academic referring to ‘Spanish’ when I expect  you mean Castellano, the official language of Spain, might possible lead to some confusion.

May I suggest as a new  comer you might avoid being too ’all embracing’ in your opinions about Spain.   I am still surprised at how little I still know, even having lived here 30 years

I hope you enjoy your studies here.

Thank you John.  I am here complete my doctorate in Applied Linguistics and Digital Language Learning.   No, I was not referring to Castilian Spanish, which is the regional dialect of Spanish in the North East.  I was referring to Catalan, which is a completely different language.  Although it is not the official language of Spain, it is the co-official language of the Catalan region.  Here is the history of the language: http://www.orbilat.com/Languages/Catalan/Catalan.html
This region is so focused on this language, that funding is provided for publications in Catalan. 

If this is confusing to anyone, they are more than welcome to contact me directly.

Cheers!

Hi Marni,

I was granted a non-lucrative "residencia" visa and the NIE is in the visa sticker. We are now in Spain is there anything we need to do now to get foreign resident ID card for example? Are you familiar with the process? We are going to be living in Salamanca while we are here in Spain.

Thanks,
B

Hi B,

While I'm not specifically familiar with that process, I am in the process of renewing my VISA right now.  I assume this may be similar.  I am to visit the Oficina de Extranjeros in Tarragona with my documents, which is everything I needed for the initial application minus the criminal record check and medical certificate.  I've also had to register my lease at town hall to make it official.  If your town does not have an Oficina de Extranjeros (foreigner's office), my understanding is that you would go to the local police station.

Now, in Canada, they allowed me to submit a few documents in English for my original application, such as my husband's offer letter from his employer.  My understanding is that this needs to be translated to Spanish.  If you need any documents translated, here is the list of all the translators in Spain.  Search by language and by location.  These translators are official translators, so the original documents are legal documents in Spain.  List of Translators

I hope that helps,

Marni

Got it. Will see where this lead will take us. Thank you!

Your link did not work, can you send it to me, thanks

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Portal/es/ … 20T-IJ.pdf

I vaguely remember getting a NIE when I came to Spain for my doctorate degree 22 years ago.  Do not remember the exact process however.

Hi B,

I've spent the past two days working on renewing my VISA and, I'm very glad I scheduled 2 days to do this.  This was my two day journey:

Yesterday morning I went to the Foreigner's Office (the University website had directed me there) to request a VISA renewal.  After going through security and waiting in line, the attendant took my passport and went to another room and brought a superior officer back with her.  They proceeded to tell me I had to go to the police station based on the jurisdiction of where I live and directed me to a website.  When I left the office, I tried to access the website, but it went to an error page. 

So, I walked over to the police station and asked.  They directed me to the National Police Station.  After walking there, I was told to go to the Foreigner's Office, which is where I started.  I had a long discussion with security and told them they advised me to go to the Police Station.  After contacting a supervisor, they found out that, yes, I should be there.  When I finally managed to sit down with an agent, she advised me I needed a form from OMAC (a civic office that verifies I have paid rent to my landlord when registering my lease - I previously had registered my lease at City Hall).  So, I went to the OMAC office.  There I was told I needed to see my real estate agent, because I needed a form from him.  So, I went to my real estate agent office.  We made an appointment for me to retrieve the form this morning.

This morning, I met with my real estate agent and collected the form.  I then went back to the OMAC office and collected the proper form from them.  I went to the National Police Station with the forms.  This time, I was told that my passport photos were too large (they were taken in Canada).  So, I had to go get passport photos taken and go back.  When I returned, they completed the forms and took my fingerprints and then gave me another form to take to the bank, so that I could pay the tax.  I made it to the bank and made the payment and then returned to the National Police Department with that form, so I could be given another form that will allow me to pick up my permanent VISA in one month.

So, great news, this is now complete.  I walked 22,000 steps and 18 km yesterday.  Today, I'm at 15,000 steps and 15 km.  I think I may have also lost 5 kilos in 2 days.

I'm not sure what the confusion is between the foreigner's office and the National Police Station.  I believe different VISA types may need to go to different offices...??

I had taken all my paperwork, as detailed by the University website: information regarding my program of study and duration, income verification and financial information, health insurance with translations, and a photocopy of each page of my passport.  They weren't interested in any of those papers. 

This is what she wanted to see: 1) my original passport and a photocopy of the main page, along with a photocopy of my VISA, 2) The form form OMAC showing the registration of my lease - I'm not sure what OMAC stands for, I think it's another branch of City Hall, 3) 2 small passport photos.

Marni

OMAC  is  Oficina Municipal d'Atenció Ciutadà
Example  here  http://guia.barcelona.cat/es/detall/ofi … 12508.html

And to save people going to the wrong police service. The Policía Nacional are the branch of the government who deal with immigration matters

Thank you John!
After telling my Thesis Supervisor of my journey to renew my NIE, she directed me to a series of videos published by the school on the process, which I thought I would share, as this would have been helpful.
Yes, these are made for University Students on Student Visas, but most of the process will be the same.  The main difference is that NIEs for students expire every year and you have to verify that you're continuing.
Here are the links to the videos.

1) What is the NIE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW94p3H … RuVCoiitIA
2) EU Students applying for NIE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MacaNyp … RuVCoiitIA
3) Non-EU Students with NIE issued on Student Visa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul8yF66 … RuVCoiitIA
4) Non-EU Students without an NIE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jShOSgh … RuVCoiitIA
5) Non-EU Students NIE Renewal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nT8RiH … RuVCoiitIA

Expatriate health insurance in Spain

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Spain

Moving to Spain

Find tips from professionals about moving to Spain

Travel insurance in Spain

Enjoy stress-free travel to Spain