NIE application

can you apply for your national identidad extranjero from the UK,  if you're going to live on spain?
or, do you have to go personally to the town?
can a lawer do this for you?

NIE is the foreigner's I D number  (Número Identificación Extranjeros)

If you are moving to Spain them you need to register on the EU Citizens Register,   That must be done personally in Spain, at the National Police station for the area where you are living/staying at the time. 

It should be done more or less immediately when you arrive i.e. the 3month / 183 day rules do not apply.

When you register, if you do not already have an NIE, the number you will get on the certificate is just that.

ok thanks for your reply. 
it's just that I thought my wife,  who's venezolana , has to apply for a visa before going.  she needs the NIE to get the visa. I was told you could give power of attorney to someone in Spain and hey could apply for you. the consul in Edinburgh won't reply to my emails querying this. they still have my wifes passport, so we will need to get it back for the NIE.

My wife Is Filipino so I do know, 

You do not need an NIE to obtain a visa to visit Spain.   

That also applies even of that person intends to apply to RESIDENCIA (i.e. as a non EU citizen) when they get here.

NB  My post was in relation to you MOVING TO SPAIN,  Your position would be different if you just coming to Spain just for a short period and not working, say to buy a holiday home

thanks for the info.
we are buying a house in Spain and going to live there.
We are in process of getting visa for residencia in Spain for my wife and the consul in Edinburgh needs NIE. also HIV test and chest xray for her med certificate, even though we've lived in Scotland for 2 years now.

I can only assumed you have misunderstood what the consul told you,

You do not need an NIE to apply for a visa but you would have been told that to buy a property in Spain one will need an NIE. 

AS I understand:    You will need to be resident in Spain in order for you wife to apply for Residencia under the rules of reunificación de familia.    You will need to research how that will work.

In my case I had been resident in Spain 20 years when my wife made the application for Residencia. 

I believe you would have to establish your permanent status as a resident before your wife can make the application to join you.  As I said you will need to research that.

So if you both come to Spain, your wife as a  visitor on a Schengen visa,  to buy a property, you can both apply for an NIE when here.  But if YOU come with the intention of living here permanently then you will need or Register on the EU Citizens Register immediately. 

As I understand, your wife would of course have to leave at the end of her permission to stay, as granted by the Schengen visa  But research it

ok thanks again. I will investigate this some more.  it would help if the consul wasn't so busy and would answer the phone.

New topic

Expatriate health insurance in Spain

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Spain

Moving to Spain

Find tips from professionals about moving to Spain

Travel insurance in Spain

Enjoy stress-free travel to Spain

Flights to Spain

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Spain