Best cities/areas for a single woman in her 30s

I'm thinking of moving to the Dominican Republic, but I am a single woman and am a little worried about safety in certain areas of the DR.  I loved Santo Domingo when I was there 5 years ago, but I've heard it's gotten much more dangerous since I was last there. 

Ideally, I would like to find an area that has good internet connections available and a relatively low cost of living.  Thanks in advance for any advice or info!

Your two basics can be met in many areas!  Safety is a funtion of.many things.  The capital is safe in some.areas and much less so in others.

Tell us more Bout the experience  you are looking for. Big city? Small town? Beach? Mountains? Countryside? Shopping? Other activities?

Thanks for your response!  I do love the beach, but I prefer places that aren't quite as "touristy" as Punta Cana (the only city in the DR I've spent time in other than Santo Domingo).  My main hobby is dancing (salsa, bachata, and other latin dance styles), so if there is a dance scene somewhere that would be great!  It seems like there are, of course, the most options in Santo Domingo, but I'm not sure how affordable it would be to live in one of the safer areas... :/

Dancing is available pretty much everywhere!

For me Punta Cana is too much like any other beach with big hotels.

Santo domingo is too big and congested. If beaches are not a big deal then take a look at Santiago.  Its large enough with all the services, lots of culture, not a lot of tourists!  Many inexpensuve decent places to live!

Start looking at the north coast.

Bob K

Thank you!  Yes, I totally agree with you about Punta Cana!  Of course, it is beautiful, and the shows were entertaining, but I didn't even feel like I was out of the country there lol.  I've been leaning toward Santiago, so it's good to hear your recommendation!  :D

Do any of you know anything about the cost of living in Santiago vs. the cost of living in Las Terrenas?  It's hard to find solid info - especially for Las Terrenas - so any comparative data/prices would be very helpful!

Sorry I cannot help with that.

That's OK.  Santiago it is! :D

Awesome!!! Santiago is an interesting city, full of culture. And about an hour from the beach!!!

I. Have been living in Santiago, it is a very good place. Cost of things is lower there.