Information on Costa Rica

Hi,
My husband and I  are planning to retire overseas and we need to find out how to do it. We are retired and will be living on our Social Security.  We want information finding the right place to rent, buying groceries, paying utilities,  safety, and bringing our two dogs. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Linda

lrugan wrote:

Hi,
My husband and I  are planning to retire overseas and we need to find out how to do it. We are retired and will be living on our Social Security.  We want information finding the right place to rent, buying groceries, paying utilities,  safety, and bringing our two dogs. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Linda

Hola Linda!

Welcome to Expat.com!

I would first recommend that you browse through previous posts by clicking on the Forum section above.  There are many posts on how to move, what to consider, what to look out for, medical coverage, requirements for residency and much more.  Once you've done that, please feel free to ask any questions that are specific to your needs or questions that you just can't find the answers to.  Becoming an expat should be a fun adventure and should not be and does not need to be stressful.

There are discussions in the Forums section on transporting your dogs - I will say that it is relatively easy to do.  I am very much an animal person and have experienced how stressful it can be the first time.  ...the "unknown."  As long as you make sure you have met all the requirements your dogs should enter the country easily. 

If you go to:  https://www.costarica.com/relocation/bringing-pets  there is a article on some of the requirements.  Keep in mind that this article is two years old and the rules have most likely changed. 

There are also pet transport services available; however, be weary of any charging more than a few hundred dollars for this service.  Some charge thousands of dollars and they are absolute thieves.  It is not necessary to use such a service and not required.  You will however need a licensed "customs broker."

Good luck and please do ask whatever questions you can't find answers to.    ☀️🌴

Expat Dave
Expat.com Team Member