House Insurance

Hi everyone!
Can anyone advice a good, read honest, insurance company?   The insurance is for our house and its contents.   We have an insurance with a well known company, but are not satisfied. 
To make a long story short: we had a serious water problem because of broken pipes due to frost.   This item is part of our contract with them.   We sent them per registered mail pictures of the damage and the repair, a report written by the company who did the repair, a list of the costs, a copy of our title deed, copies of the invoices for the construction materials.  Since after weeks we had not heard any reply - positive or negative - we contacted them again.  Apparently the employee who had been working on our case left the company and the documents were lost!   So, we sent everything again, only to receive a mail yesterday asking for the papers, pictures etc which in fact we have sent already two times.
Thanks for your inputs.

Lezzi

Insurance companies have to give you a settlement figure within 14 days that's the law

As I found out about this as my insurance company took 12 months to pay and once I mentioned the 14 day law payment was made.

Also don't expect full payment either!!!

We had a brand new leather sofa (£3000)  home flooded sofa was ruined, insurance payment was 1200 lev and for me to get it repaired etc so be warned sadly

Kosarka

I think house insurance here is like the car insurance - not worth the paper its written on :)

Many kinds of insurance are fraudulent. The industry is well known for corruption. It might be interesting to see how much you've paid them over the course of twelve months compared to the cost of your damages. Also remember that incidents like the one you've just gone through tend not to happen very often.

Thanks  a lot Kosarka. We do not expect full payment, but the info about the 14 days is new to us and we will definitely use that.  Thanks for your help.

lewisannie wrote:

I think house insurance here is like the car insurance - not worth the paper its written on :)

Whats wrong with the bg car insurance?

I'm guessing the insurance industry in bg is not as regulated and organised as in the UK (which also costs a lot more)?

Is house/home (and contents) insurance in bg mandatory or optional for home owners?
Is it a lot cheaper than in the uk?