Is the D.R really affordable

My understanding is that the power goes out often..I'm currently living in italy and planing to visit possibly move there in the puerto plata area..is it possible to find a little one bedroom in a nice area where that doesn't happen for 400 to 500 a month ..Thanks in advance for your reply

Good morning welcome to the forums.

Simple answer is YES it is possible and probable. 

In some areas the power goes out often, other areas hardly at all. Making sure your rental has an inverter and battery back up is important!

When are you coming?  I am in Puerto Plata area (5 minutes away) and may be able to help you.

Welcome and yes it is doable.

If you like the north coast look beyond Puerto Plata as well. 

Bob K

Hi planner if all the pieces fall together I'm thinking late August early September..is renting a place there pretty easy..can it be done on a month to month or are you required to sign a contract..being that I'm coming as a tourist signing a contract wouldn't work..also if I plan on staying over the 90 days are there lawyers to help you with that process in that area...thanks

Hi Bob you say that because there are less expensive area's ? How about safety is Puerto Plata relatively safe ..the reason I'm interested in that area is because my plane will land there and being in don't know the country is figured it's a good place to start...thanks.

I was recently checking out Pedernales, and the told me there the power NEVER goes out.

Actually your plane will be landing in Sosua (where we live) and not in Puerto Plata.   Puerto Plata is about a 20 min cab ride to the west. 
There are safe and affordable places all over. 
Sosua and Cabarete are a bit more touristy (but the largest concentration of EXpats in the area) and are beach towns.
Bob K

Safety is very much about specific areas.

Be clear about what you are looking for in your experience here: budget, shopping access, beaches, restaurants, more Dominican experience, schools, churches etc

Each area offers different things!

What is right for one is wrong for the other! Be clear on what you want OR come stay 2 weeks and move to another area for 2 weeks and move again. It would be more touristy accomodations but moght prevent a big mistake!

Thanks bob...my question is 400 to 500 a month for a little one bedroom in a nice area realistic and is your area susceptible to a lot of power outages...I guess living in the US. and Italy you tend to get spoiled where power and water.are never a concern..thanks Bob

Yes you can find a 1BR for what you are wanting in a secure setting. Power outages are common here but most condos and villas have a back up system (Batteries/inverter or generator) so essentially you have 24 hour power.
As to water...drink ONLY bottled water as tap water here is good for cleaning floors and not much else. You certainly cannot drink it
Bob K

Thanks bob for the info...have a good day