Is there a Problem with Pollution in PR

I have traveled throughout South and Central America.  Trash, water and air pollution problems varied from country to country.  Some towns, such as Quito, Ecuador and San Jose, Costa Rica were worse than some countries.  What are some of the cleanest towns (trash, water, air) in PR and what are some of the dirtiest? Are any efforts in effect to clean up and restore clean environments in PR?

There have been bacterial problems, in some water systems; some private homes still leech waste into rivers, and ocean. Last year there were scattered warnings of "dirty beaches", from Cabo Rojo, up to Aguadilla.

I had a recent chore of taking some trash to the local landfill - that was an eye opener.   The Arecibo dump is located right next to an estuary on the Atlantic coast, I was shocked.    I think it is an environmental disaster and I believe it is scheduled for closure??   :mad:

Several landfills on the island have been declared out of compliance with EPA standards; it is a serious problem for the entire island.

Also, there is respiratory problems with the Sahara desert dust clouds.

There's not a lot of environment awareness here on the island. The government doesn't educate and I assume it's the same in schools

The air quality is not good.
Many cars drive around without a (working) catalytic converter. In the yearly inspection this should be checked but a $20 bill gets you your sticker (marbete). Many diesel engines don't have carbon filters and thick black smoke comes out of the exhaust.
We burn low grade high sulfur oil in our electricity plants.
Put anything outside, anywhere on the island and it will be solid black within months.

Landfills are sub-standard, recycling is hardly available.

The drinking water quality is sort of acceptable although the chlorine taste pushes many people to sophisticated filter systems, with or without reverse osmosis. There were some problems with bacteria in the drinking water.

Sewage is a problem, too. When there's a municipal system don't expect it to be working, a lot of wastewater lands (partly) untreated in rivers and the sea.
In rural areas most houses have a septic tank but those are the most simple systems you can imagine. They are made of cinder blocks, two compartments and a concrete lid. I've never seen any activity of emptying/cleaning septic tanks.

Trash collection (still) works amazingly good. They come once a week and take anything you put at the curb. With the plans of municipalities to start charging for trash collection I foresee problems there, too.

Not really positive but that's how it is I'm afraid.

Although I don't know where this site gets the data and if they are reliable but it looks like what I'd expect:

Air quality map Puerto Rico >> http://www.creativemethods.com/airquali … o_rico.htm <<

Gary wrote:

There's not a lot of environment awareness here on the island. The government doesn't educate and I assume it's the same in schools

The air quality is not good.
Many cars drive around without a (working) catalytic converter. In the yearly inspection this should be checked but a $20 bill gets you your sticker (marbete). Many diesel engines don't have carbon filters and thick black smoke comes out of the exhaust.
We burn low grade high sulfur oil in our electricity plants.
Put anything outside, anywhere on the island and it will be solid black within months.

Landfills are sub-standard, recycling is hardly available.

The drinking water quality is sort of acceptable although the chlorine taste pushes many people to sophisticated filter systems, with or without reverse osmosis. There were some problem with bacteria in the drinking water.

Sewage is a problem, too. When there's a municipal system don't expect it to be working, a lot of wastewater lands (partly) untreated in rivers and the sea.
In rural areas most houses have a septic tank but those are the most simple systems you can imagine. They are made of cinder blocks , two compartments and a concrete lid. I've never seen any activity of emptying/cleaning septic tanks.

Trash collection (still) works amazingly good. They come once a week and take anything you put at the curb. With the plans of municipalities to start charging for trash collection I foresee problems there, too.

Not really positive but that's how it is I'm afraid.

Thanks for the unvarnished truth.  Changing the attitude of people takes education, increased awareness and many many years.  Related to the disregard of the environment is how wildlife is treated.  Many countries do not have or do not enforce laws against locals stealing sea turtle eggs, for example, putting great strain on this species.  So sad that the largest risk to their survival is locals stealing the eggs to eat/sell.

A lot has to do with education, lack of using a chancleta when raising the kids and the government throwing away money and ignoring laws and regulations.

If we used the chancleta more, they would be better Citizens

Awareness has to start at the top (in the government). Next, funds have to made available to improve the environment and to educate the people about how to do it.
A lot is on government level though:
- Change to natural gas and wind/solar panel electricity production
- Improve the vehicle inspections. Right now it's only money collection.
- Start obligatory education programs in schools
- Make recycling available and really recycle what can be recycled

Of course (and that's all I'm  going to say about this part) the anti-environment attitude and decrease of EPA funding in DC is not helpful...

Gary has good points
Environmental awareness takes awhile to take hold - local action helps too.   we take grocery bags (and give them to others) when we walk the beach, a grabber stick saves my back, and we usually pick up a bag of trash (mostly plastic stuff, cans and styrofoam ) along the way.

As young people learn and awarness grows, things will improve.

Sitka wrote:

Environmental awareness takes awhile to take hold - local action helps too.

Absolutely!

I like Ukraine approach, take the corrupt politicians and throw them in the dumpster. Get new leaders that do for the people and the environment