From the US to Norway (lengthy post!)

Hello everyone, I'd posted here some time ago seeking helpful information on moving to Norway from the US. Its been a while since my post, and I am nearing a time when I would like to start the processes of getting my residency. Heres a few details on my situation.

I'm about to be 24, I live in Michigan in the USA. I plan to move in with my boyfriend, who lives in Bergen. We would like to be married when I am living there.

Some of the problems we have faced..

For one, neither of us very much understand the legal jargon and mumbo jumbo all over the UDI and similar webpages. A lot of it seems really confusing, or without an answer we can make clear sense of. Its been difficult to plot a clear path for our future plans.

We are unable to immediately apply for any kind of fiance permit, because he and I have too little income to qualify (as far as we know). I have a relatively low paying job here in the US, and in Norway he is on a fixed income. (full disability income, <200 000 NOK)

Its been suggested that I will be able to seek a job in order to obtain residency in Bergen. Is this still a possibility?

It seems like it is a little hard to move from the US to Norway, most documents I can find don't actually include any information specific to the US as they do with other countries.

I plan to purchase my round trip ticket for a stay of the maximum 90 days I am allowed without residency. Beforehand, I would like to do some job searching so that I will be less crunched for time while I am there, and hopefully in that 90 days, I will be able to obtain some kind of employment to take to the police station for approval. Is this a feasible plan?

Any help, info, stories, suggestion, and comments are all welcome!

Thanks for reading my excessively long post!

Hi Static.

UDI requires that your fiancee be able to provide for you during your intial residency period in Norway.  I'm not sure that your income would impact that or not.  This is true for spouses as well.  I'd already been married to my husband for ten years before we moved, but we still had to provide a financial solvency letter when we arrived.  My BIL wrote a letter stating that my husband had a job available to him for 400 NOK/annual, the day we landed.  My husband never took the job, but it was available and that seemed to satisfy UDI.

You might be able to find employment washing houses and offices (unless you happen to be fluent in Norwegian), and companies like that generally can help you with your work application permit through the local police station.  Be warned though that some of the cleaning companies do this to take advantage of new immigrants and often times the job might not even be counted as a 'contracted position' according to the norwegian government.

I would be more inclined to look for solutions from your fiancee's extended family.  That will likely be your best bet for legitimate work and the ability to satisfy UDI.

If I was to advice anything to make your move and your legal status easier on you, it would be to learn the langauge as fast as possible.  Despite the fact that Norway is largely bilingual...the work force is looking for you to assimilate.

It's a big time jump from America to here.  I've been here three years and am still getting my feet under me.  Best of luck and congrats on your upcoming marriage.

Sarah

Sarah

Thank you for your information! I will check more into the situation as far as him being able to provide for me.

Language is my #1 priority while I am here, saving money for the trip. I have the Pimsleur lessons to work with, and some very basic skills in the language. I have done a bit of looking on finn.no and language I can see will be key in everything.

Thank you again!

Hi Static,

I was in your situation not too long ago.  I moved to Norway in October of '10 and was struggling with what kind of residency permit to apply for because of all the complications with understanding the system.  Here's a question for you: Do you by chance have a university college degree or hold a craft certificate?  In my case, becuase I had a college degree, I was classified as a "skilled worker," and that opened up the option or me to apply for a study permit solely for the purpose of studying Norwegian for a whole year.  I applied for this permit within the 90 days I was here as a tourist, and after I submitted the application and all of the forms that went with it, I was then (and now currently) able to stay in Norway until I hear back my answer.  I have since started taking Norwegian language courses in Gjøvik where we are staying now and it's been great.  If you use a language course through the government it is quite affordable and free after you're married typically.

I would recommend checking into that, and no one else needed to "guarantee funds" for me financially.

Here is the link for this study permit, if you haven't already viewed the option:
http://www.udi.no/Norwegian-Directorate … d-workers/

Good luck!
-K-

The only kind of college degree I have is an Associates of General Studies, with focus in Photography and Graphic Design. I've looked into Study permits, but again - it was all very confusing. I'm not sure where to turn for that, and some of the things I found stated qualifications that were beyond what I currently have. Like, a certain kind of degree to qualify.

So, do you mean that while you were there in your 90 days, you submitted your official application, you are able to stay while waiting for the answer, even if it takes longer than 90 days?

A language class is a definite must, and I hear there are some great classes available in Bergen. I'll be looking into it when I am there.

Thank you!

That very well may be the case in terms of the type of education/degree you have, but it's worth checking into since it's higher than high school education.  But I am glad to hear that the language course in Bergen seems like a good program and that you are serious about that as a priority - that was the case for me too and it's very exciting getting more into the culture in that way!  Enjoy it.

And as for your question, yes, I was able to submit my official application in Norway, before my 90 had expired, and then stay here legally after the 90 days expired.  I actually submitted it maybe a week before, since I had come to Norway to visit last summer before coming here for good so that consumed a lot of days.  The rule is that once your application is turned in and being processed, you have a right to stay in the country until you receive an answer.  Definite plus :)

Another suggestion if you haven't already done so is to not just look on the UDI website, but for either you or your boyfriend to call UDI Oslo offices and speak with a rep there to ask a bunch of questions - they are a pretty solid resource.  Their number is +47 23 35 16 00.  And I recommend calling multiple times & speaking with a few different rep's just to double check your questions, because I had some instances where I was told different information from different people!  Will avoid some frustrations in the long term :)

Hope you find more answers soon!
-K-

Hello static! I lived for 3 years in Norway and I can assure you it's not the friendliest country with the foreigners. I wish you good luck, really! The country is clean and civilized, medical assistance is good and free, but be careful of the other side of Norwegian behaviour: many of them simply believe that if you are not Norwegian...you are nothing! PS. I am European and I worked legally in Norway. Cannot blame the country itself, but some people are really disgusting.

Hi Static (Soon to be dynamic).
What drives me nuts about posts and responses is people often speak in generalities and don't give you specific details for what you need to do.  So here's the best information I can give you from my experience.
1.  Try and find a job before you get over here.  Because of your background you may consider trying to teach at an international school where english is a main language.  I don't know if there are any in Bergen but I will follow up with more info on that.
2.  You need to apply for a family reunion.  I don't know if this applies to your status since you are not married yet.  The family reunion requires that someone guarantee your stay here.  In other words, you're not going to come over here and just get on unemployment and take advantage of the system.
From what I have been told at UDI, your fiance needs to make 240kroners a year for the last four years in order to financially guarantee your stay here. 
What you do is go to UDI, and get a form for Family Reunion, (like I said, I don't know if this applies to you since you're technically not family yet).  After that, there are a list of forms that you must gather.  Once you have all those forms, you make an appointment with UDI to go over those forms.  Your fiance will go with you and you don't sign the forms until you're at the appointment.  They'll cover everything with you during the appointment, and if everything works out, it can take up to 6 months to get approved.  You may even need your tax statements from the US for the last four years.  This helps to show you actually made some money back at home.  Considere also having a CV that you can take to UDI to show them your work history.
3.  If your fiance doesn't qaulify financially, your fiance's parents can guarantee you if they qualify.
4.  When you buy your plane ticket, I recommend not purchasing an e-ticket.  Get a paper ticket that allows you to change your return date.  When you're here, you can apply for a 3 month extension (I don't know what the details are of this, again, this is something I have heard but have not substantiated, but if you're looking for a job you can stay here up to 6 months).
Just a note.  I always wondered what immigrants in the US go through to get in the country.  They have to wait 5 years some time just to get a visa.  Norway is a bit frienlier in those terms but as Americans, we want things now.  You'll have to learn to be patient. 
And also, stock up on Mexican food before you come over here.  I can barely find anything.  :)

Thank you everyone for your information! And thank you for your detailed post, Migpics. You are so right when you say that as Americans, we want things NOW. I have no idea what it is like to try and move into the US, but from how it seems with the amount of people moving at least in my area) it might not be too hard to be allowed to stay.

I'm particularly interested in this part of your post:
"3.  If your fiance doesn't qaulify financially, your fiance's parents can guarantee you if they qualify."

I know that he does not make even 200K NOK a year, and i don't know if his family does so we will have to check into this info.

I plan on bringing a lot of peanutbutter and jelly with me!

Greeting to one and all :)

I just joint on a few minutes ago with the hope of obtaining clear information on the process and experiences that others had or are having, from the transition of moving to Norway from the USA. Just wanted to introduce meself.

Greeting to all :D  I will post me question in due time !

Welcome on board SteadEddie ;)