How long is visa being processed and how it is living in Oman

Hello everyone,

Last time I posted here I was asking how to look for a job in Oman.Now I got hired by a company in Oman through our local recruitment agency. It is also good as I would be a documented overseas worker rather than going to Oman and finding a job there. How long would it take for Visa to be processed? I have already submitted my medical-fit to work and passport. Also, I would like to know if standards of living in Oman is high..Can anyone give me an idea as to how much is the cost of living there? Food, clothing..how much. how expensive or cheap it is..I embraced Islam just abt a year ago and i want to practise my religion there and how its possible for my spiritual growth... Are there any do's and donts  in Oman..Please give me an idea.

Thanks

Nin hao Shin

I am an ex pat with a company sponsoring me. My visa and residents permit took about 2 months from beginning to end. However I was able to come here as they issue visitor visa on arrival because I have UK passport so it made things a bit quicker. It can take up to 3 months - a lot depends on the size of your sponsors company and how much influence they have with the ministry - relationships matter.

As for living here I find it quite cheap compared to many places. Major cost is housing. Market is soft at the moment so bargain hard! It depends where your work is or where you want to live. For example Ruwi is populous and relatively cheap compared to (say)  Qurum or parts of Al Khuwair. In the other direction - Al Mahwehla it is cheaper but a long way out. Many expats prefer Ruwi and around that area. However if your employer is a long way from Ruwi you need to consider transport - usually shared taxi is cheapest and quite safe and even individual taxi is quite cheap. Food is about the same as elsewhere in the world - retail prices in supermarkets are about 30% cheaper than where I live in Australia, fresh food can be a little dearer. For housing consider a I bedroom at about 150-250 OMR a month and double that in Qurum and AK. Just a guide for you. A car is not too expensive to get you around - insurance is quite cheap and petrol is very cheap!

Oman is safe, the Omanis are lovely, friendly and it is a a pleasure living here. I hope that you find the same.

Hope this helps you.

Kind regards

David

Hello.

Thank you so much for the wonderful advice.For one, I am not a Chinese so, probably a simple Hello would be okay.. :) I'm from the Philippines by the way.. We will see whats in store for me in Oman. I heard that the locals there are very nice people.In general it is a safe and welcoming country. Good luck to me.Hopefully to arrive there by July.

Again, Thanks a lot.

Shin

hi i am from italy i looking for job in Oman..how i can do...i can have only holidays visa
tnk