Advice for lonely kiwi

Hi. I moved to Sydney on Monday from a small town in the Waikato. I'm trying to restart my career so have taken on a minimum 6 month contract. My husband stayed with me for the first week but is leaving first thing tomorrow. I'm feeling an overwhelming panic of being in another country scared and alone. I have no family or friends and am homesick already especially missing my two older children. The next six months seem like a lifetime away. Any advice on how to *harden up* and enjoy my time here?

Dont think of it in terms of "Hardening up"  You dont have to miss your kids, you can use Whats App or Facebook video and have contact with them every day.  If you think of it more as an adventure, where to go, what to do, who to meet, whats around the next corner etc etc it will be much more bearable.

The six months will fly by if you dont regret every day of being there.  Join some social events or clubs for whatever takes your interest, once you make some new friends - which is the hardest part - everything will become much more bearable.

At least you all know and planned this time away from each other - that is still much better than other options that could be happening (prison, death, illness etc).

You have freedom you can go where you want - enjoy, appreciate and hopefully be happy.

If you stay indoors and do nothing you will always be lonely.  Even just join some local facebook groups, ask your work colleagues for information on what to do and where to go.  Its all there so long as you just go and look.

Hope it all works out for you.

Thank you. That's really helpful. 😊

Hi Michbill,

I'm in the same situation. I've messaged you! Hope to hear from you soon :)

>>hi dont worry never alone  in sydney. not like cairns though...

I'm so sorry, that must be a really tough situation. It definitely hurts at first, but I know you will start to make friends and connections in Sydney. Why does your husband have to go away?