Farming Land?

Hi all.
We are a couple from Poland and looking for a place (Central-South America) to live.  We are looking for a land say 5-10 hectares (a home is not a must, only land will do).  Land to cultivate plants (fruit, vegetables, herbs) and live on it (selling).  Would we be able to find such a thing in Belize and for what price?  How about the formalities of moving and getting permits?

Any input will be welcomed.

Hello from Belize,

Yes, it is possible to find many suitable properties for your development needs in Belize. Belize is filled with natural resources and cultivable land is one of them. Land prices will vary based on their location, size, natural features such as river/creek frontage, caves, views etc... just to name a few. Who you are dealing with? will also affect greatly the asking/selling price of a property.  Relocating to Belize is quite an easy process but doing your homework, finding proper local assistance to help and guide you through the relocation process and taking your time during all phases of the transition are a MUST DO.

As for obtaining permits, well please do explain what type of permits you had in mind? Are you referring to work permits?

[moderated: no free ads]

Smiles from Cayo,Belize
Alexia

We're looking at moving to Belize as well. We recently came from a visit there.  The best advise I can give you is to RENT FIRST!!  It is absolutely crazy to buy before you have spent at least 6 months there.  The people are so different from area to area and you need to know where you will be comfortable.  Even the cheapest land is no good if you are not happy with where you are.  I personally love the San Ignacio area with frequent visits to the Placencia area for some beach time.  Spanish Lookout is a vital part of any expat's life there.  Most parts can be easily ordered there as well as all kinds of farming help/products.  Hubby is making his 3rd trip there next week.  We have some friends who now are considering making the same move so her husband is going with mine to check it out.  Between the 2 families, we have 12 children.  Room for a garden is a must!

Property (not using an agent) can range from $30,000+ USD but runs some risks.  A good agent will take care of alot of "footwork".  You must be willing to do that work yourself to benefit from the discount.  Finding land for sale that is not listed is not hard.  Making sure you own it after you've paid for it IS!  Renting gives you the ability to meet trustworthy people who will direct you the right ways.  Renting is very easy to do.  Visas cost $25 USD per month th 1st 6 months and $50 USD after that.  Starting a business gets you a much better reaction with the government.  They like people who will provide employment for the locals.  I really like the locals!  You should too if you plan on moving there!

Hi JohnSaga, I tried to reply to your post yesterday and it ended up as a new post under a different name.
So here I'll try to insert my reply again. Hope it works this time.

Hi, I am from Lithuania and have been to Poland many times. At the moment I am in Canada, but at the end of May I will be in Belize.

My goal is to look for and purchase a piece of land either on the beach around Hopkins area or on Ambergris Caye. If I won't find anything there, I will go east to Cayo area (somewhere closer to one of the rivers).

If I could help you to find out some specific information or ask questions, let me know.  I will be happy to share my findings.

If you would prefer to email me privately here is the email: [email protected]

Regards,
Caltu