From US, getting married in Vietnam

Hello,

I am new to this forum, and I appreciate any help you can give.

I am interested in getting married in Vietnam. I live in America and I plan to marry a citizen of Vietnam. I am just getting into the myriad of paperwork and gathering info and I have a few questions right off the bat.

My friend has informed me that we can have a wedding ceremony in Vietnam before turning in the paperwork in Vietnam. Is that correct?

I realize that I could give my fiancé Power of Attorney and have her hand in the paperwork before the ceremony. We will be marrying in the city of Hue. Is it possible to have the paperwork processed in Hue? Or, do we have to go to another city such as Hanoi?

Also, is there still an interview process in Vietnam? I read where that may have been eliminated. It seems there is at least an interview that has to be done here in America.

Again, I appreciate any help and am trying to research this as much as possible.

Thanks,
John

Good luck and hope others can help you on here. Im sure your country fellowmen have married Vietnamese women and would know the 'know hows' and advise you.

Best to the both of you  :)

Thank you. I hope so. Fingers crossed. :)

Hi TourdeViet,  I can give you my experiences (privately), but we got legally married in the US, not Vietnam.  First, I am curious why get legally married in Vietnam with all the paperwork, red tape and potential bribes?  Are you planning to live in Vietnam or the USA?  If you are moving to Vietnam and live there, then you should get married in Vietnam, but realize that it will be difficult to get a USA visa for your spouse as long as you 2 are living outside the USA.

My recommendation is to have the ring ceremony, marriage ceremony (the formal one with the family, ancestors etc., not the legal marriage).  Then apply for a fiance visa.  PM to discuss further.