ATM withdrawal amount

For those that are interested in larger then an average 2 million withdrawal amount, try MB Bank at 26 Phan Dinh Phung street. Was able to withdraw 5 million

Hi Vikingjeger i can get no response from that HCMC number you suggested. Have you found rental accommodation in Dalat?

None yet..still looking..some are either too far away ..or very expensive..will check if there are any other contact numbers..try to search  Thuy trang on fb..i have never met her..keep on trying the number..maybe on Monday

DongA bank and Sacom allow 3m and. Nice to here about MB bank though.

Diazo wrote:

DongA bank and Sacom allow 3m and. Nice to here about MB bank though.

As of last year, a change in the law allows all banks to give 3 million per withdrawal on ATM cards from other banks.

Well they sure maybe allowed to, but they don't. In fact I tried to get the 5M mentioned form MB and it said I was not authorized. But I can show you oodles of ATM's that will not give you 3m

Reread my post. I said they are allowed to, I didn't say they do.

Was not disagreeing with you at. Just making the point they can, but don't. Might be an economic thing. I really do not understand it all because ANZ use to allow 10m and at a whack and that was several years ago.

Hi Vikingjegar,

Military Bank ATM, Dalat gives you 5 mil. Good.

1) are you using an overseas card?
2) this is very important,  " what is the withdrawal fee, charged by the MB ATM?

Thanks,
Randall

I used an US issued card twice and was only able to get 3 m

Vietcom bank only allows 1.5 m from a US card but their fees are cheaper than Sacom

I can get 3m at DongA or SaCom. Never pay attention to the fees at either. But I have yet to find any bank in DaLat that allows more than 3m. Wish there were some.

vikingjeger wrote:

For those that are interested in larger then an average 2 million withdrawal amount, try MB Bank at 26 Phan Dinh Phung street. Was able to withdraw 5 million

Vikingjeger,

I have been in Dalat for a week now.  Still 2 weeks to go.
I just today, 8/6/2017 at 2.15pm local time went into the Phan Dinh Phung office to enquire after reading your post.
The counter girl speaks English and understand what I asked,
" hello, I am a tourist and I have an Australian Visa card.  Can you please tell me what is the biggest amount your ATM will give (dispense), one time (per withdrawal) and what it the withdrawal fee, one time?

Her answer :
The maximum ( her word, while I used biggest ) amount for tourist is 2mil VND and 30,000 per withdrawal fee.  I asked what about 5,000,000?
The 5,000,000 is for MB card members and other Vietnam banks alliance network, eg. BIDV, Donga, etc., or unless you have a Vietnam bank account.

I am not doubting you having got the 5 mill, otherwise you wouldn't have posted your message.
The MB ATM outside the bank, do have a 5mill touch button.  Also " other amount " button. I have not withdraw yet.  Also, different banks have different withdrawal fee.

I did HSBC in Danang for 5mill and there was a 100,000 dong fee on the screen, " do you want to proceed with this transaction? ". I tapped yes.  I need the cash.

The MB phone number in Dalat, 26 Phan Ding Phung st is 063.626.8999.
Anyone , currently in Dalat want to try dialling and confirmed that?

I will report back when I do some legwork on the other banks.

Cheers
Randall

Not found one where you can get more than 2 million VND yet in HCMC, using a English bank card, not sure how much of a difference that makes?

The Citi bank ATM in front entrance to Ben Thanh market allow 8m. ANZ use to do 10m but they stopped that long ago

With a foreign card?

As far as I know, the max. withdrawal amount of BIDV ATM is 5 million VND for each turn.  You'd better try it.

1312j wrote:

Not found one where you can get more than 2 million VND yet in HCMC, using a English bank card, not sure how much of a difference that makes?

Almost all give 3 million now with my US card--the law changed 6 or so months ago allowing the increase from 2 million at the discretion of the bank.

I was in Saigon last week. All of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia ATMs (yellow diamond logo) in the Backpacker District that used to give 9 or 10 million per transaction are either replaced with ACB or unplugged.

Ocean Bank's ATM on Pham Ngu Lao Street gives only 2 million per transaction BUT there is no ATM fee. I used it 3 days in a row and not one dong in fees for a total of 30 million withdrawn.

Yeah I haven't had any issues in Saigon at all regarding fees with the ATM's, it's just an almighty pain when you need more than 2 million. Will take a look at the ones above and see what's what.

Yes. With a foreign card. Only kind of card I have.

Do not know about any law changes, and I keep being told there are law changes. But I withdraw 8 m all the time.

It may be obvious to most, but not to all, as it wasn't to me.

After spending days/weeks lloking for atms to withdraw 5 to 8m, I finally realized Sacom will allow me to withdraw 3m three times per day. The fee for each may be 30k.
US issued cards

Wxx3 wrote:

It may be obvious to most, but not to all, as it wasn't to me.

After spending days/weeks lloking for atms to withdraw 5 to 8m, I finally realized Sacom will allow me to withdraw 3m three times per day. The fee for each may be 30k.
US issued cards

The total amount allowed per day is limited by your US bank, usually $500 plus $5 for fees.

The VN bank WILL charge you for each transaction.

Boy the experiences everyone has. Almost like we all live in a different country. I have used Sacom many time and can withdraw their 3m limit all in a row. I have never had to go back 3 times in a day. And for John I have my limits with my US banks and with one I can contact them and raise the limit to any amount...even still some of the banks here limit the amount even from their normal amount. This occurred most often on high demand days. And for those looking to withdraw 8m the CitiBank ATM at Ben Thanh market in Sai Gon allows 8m and 3 st a time. Yes, I am sure you could do it in 3 separate trips if you like to. Happy banking

Stop using a foreign card if you are here longer than a short holiday. I got a Techcombank card here thanks to Yogi's advice. Multiple 10 mill withdrawals from Techcombank ATMS (can't remember the limit) and 5 Mill from BIDV (Took out 20 mill the other day - again can't remember the limit) . When I was using my foreign card I could get 4-5 mill from BidV/AgriBank usually. Edit... it took an hour to set up and I was able to get my card in 4 days.

Really! Good info. Thanks

Diazo wrote:

Really! Good info. Thanks

No probs. Here was the thread I started.

I use the phone App that Techcombank provides a bit also to buy stuff from the city when I'm in far away parts that don't have what I need or pay bills etc. Kiss all those overseas fees goodby. Can also recharge your phone credit in under a minute so forget the need for scratch cards.

My bank refunds all my ATM fees. But still it would be nice to have a card here and be able to withdraw larger amounts. Must you put money on deposit with them or is it connected to your , in my case, American bank?

Initially I just transferred money (Overseas Fund Transfer) from my Australian account as described in the thread I linked to. Now I have a Vietnamese paypal account linked to an online business which is all I need to cover living here.

I see no linking thread. Just a reference to one that did not appear. I thought it was to good to be true. I am not a huge fan of PayPal and have had so many problems. And my bank charges a fee for a wire transfer. But I have no ATM fees with them. So in the end I suppose I am best leaving it as is.

Sorry here is the link: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=704897

Depends on your circumstances I guess, this is just what works well for me :)

Yeah I think so. I knew there was something wrong with Yogi though. He is a darn Ozzie. Perhaps banking is different in Aus. My banks refund my ATM fees. Of Course, I still have the card international fees (Visa). But for me it is small potatoes and just the cost of living in a cheap country. Heck my auto insurance in the USA was many more times the cost of ATM fees or the cost of operating a motorbike here. But if your on a limited budget I can see where it might be needed.

Us Aussies have a great dislike for banks.

Did you know that we have the worlds  highest profit making banks per GDP, and that's in a country that has only 24 million people.

Article:
Australia's banks have been revealed as the most profitable in the world just days after they opted not to pass on the the Reserve Bank's full interest rate cut to borrowers.
An analysis by The Australia Institute showed their profit as share of gross domestic product (GDP) was higher than banks in China, Sweden, Japan and the United States.

I also find some of the charges by VN banks getting high, transferring money internally from bank to bank is not free in VN.

But can you please imagine  if you owned a bank and charged nothing for the labor and time to do transfers to other banks all day long. Just like any business they need to charge for services. They are not charitable organizations that work for free.

Now you have turned it from excessive fees to no fees, troi oi.

Aren't you the same guy who made a post about what a banh mi seller makes a year. So now you are on here defending grubby banks, but took the banh mi seller to task, strange logic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj8mSG7BUAk

Din't Even know what Bha Mi is. So I don't think it was me. But if it is something for sale then I imagine they too would charge for it. Banks make money with the product they provide MONEY. I am sure anyone that wanted to could do the bank transfers themselves. For example if you want to transfer money from you bank in Nha Trang to a bank in HCM just walk down there or take a bus. For me it is just easier to pay the small fee for the service they provide. I transferred $1,800 last week and the charged me 27,000 vnd. Not anything to make me go bankrupt. Not defending anyone. But if I were in business I would like to make a profit off of it. If you do open a free bank I would be the first to sign up and defend you though.

You don't know what bánh mì is, you need to get out a bit more often.