Green Card

Anyone obtain a U.S. Green Card for a Brazilian spouse while in Brazil ?
I am a U.S. Citizen with permanent residency here in Brazil ( I have been a resident for 30 months). We were married in the U.S. Three years ago.
I would like to get a green card for my wife. Anyone been through the process ? Care to share your experience? Offer advice ?

We are currently in the process. It starts with I 130 from you. If you go to the site of Us Embassy you can find the required documents and procedures.

Jim

Petition for Alien Relative and Affidavit of Support while residing in Brasil.
Unless mistaken it is my understanding the form I-130 and supporting documents must be mailed to the Chicago lokbox.
What about the Affidavit of Support  ? Is it mailed with the I-130 or do I wait for it to be requested by the US Consulate in RJ ?

I don't remember for sure but the instructions tell you what is required. I know you do everything in steps. The instructions are pretty straight forward.
https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/fil … 0instr.pdf

Jim

Not for certain, but don't you need to be a permanent resident of US for green card?

A green card (now pink) is identification of permanent residence in the United States. I am a US citizen by birth trying to move back to the US with my Brazilian wife. Therefore,the green card will be for her. We have been married over 5 years, she is eligible for a 10 year green card. After three years of residency 18 months of which must be continuous she may apply for citizenship, US passport, Social Security widow benefits, etc.
Then we can go live somewhere along the Rosarito/Ensenada coast for about the same cost as we do here in Cabo Frio while having accessibility  to day trips to San Diego and Los Angeles.
(Navy Hospital Balboa, grandkids, children, siblings, first world).

Good news:  under the new Social Security treaty between the US and Brazil, your wife probably already qualifies for Social Security survivor benefits.  You can confirm by emailing the FBU (Federal Benefits Unit) at the US Embassy in Lisbon, which handles Social Security issues for all US citizens and other beneficiaries who live in Portuguese-speaking countries, including Brazil.

Sorry, misread the post. True.
Had wife get  ITIN while in US last trip. (Needed for tax filing married) Would not accept green card app due to my house is a lease/purchase and my mail is a global forwarding company, so they said no because of my address.
Thanks for your service. We have something in common. 6 years USMC CH-46's squadron's. Left due to going to the V-22 planes and phase out the 46. 2 tours SE Asia, and many cruises on your ships. Last station Quantico.

Tex,
How did your wife get an ITIN on your last trip back to the States?  We went into an IRS office on our last trip back, and they told us that they couldn't issue one there, it had to be by mail when we filed our taxes.

When my wife got hers it was with the tax filing. It's only good for four years.

ab
Went to IRS office while in Las Vegas to file amended return and mentioned I also needed ITIN for her since I wanted to file married next year. Lady said " you know you are at IRS and we can do that?" DUh...filled out and signed right there, assigned a # and had the card in BR a few days after we got back. Had to wait for a extra hour there ( no gambling and drinking, boo hoo), but well worth the trip to get all done.

3,000 + hrs SH60B SEAHAWK  (Naval Aircrewman) last duty station MCBH Kaneohe Bay (2003). Semper Fi !

Well HI would be nice, but expensive. Speaking of which can not believe it costs less to live in US (and CA) than here. I came here because so cheap. then married. I can live under my SS and VA disability goes in saving every month.
Got my little 3000 hour congrats photo while on 2nd tour in VN. Did not get many hours on the Med and other cruises. When I got out thought of doing the shuttle back and forth to oil rigs, dang I had less hours than 90% of applicants!

Used to call 46s FROGS. I remember they could do some radical side flare maneuvers during VERTREP. Thank you for your service.

We were the frogs, CO was Boeing Vertol test pilot and did 360's down the tarmac. I was amazed and almost chunked!
Great CO/ Yep from Medivac to SAR. Kind of feeling the old wounds now. Still amazed at landing on carriers. At lest we could hover and wait till ship settle down. Jets cannot auto rotate, so I was in.
Peach bBsh medivacs.  (Thunder chickens)