General info living in Mexico

My husband and I are just starting to explore retiring as expats. I have heard good things about Mexico. My husband is not thrilled with the idea of living in Mexico because of the negative image crime and drugs has placed in the consciousness of most Americans. I am looking for down to earth info about livingin Mexico. Prefer the beach and sun and warm weather. Is there such a thing as mild humidity?  Grew up in Houston, TX which is too humid and currently live in CO and it is too dry. Happy medium?  Definitely altitude below 2200 feet.

Definitely want to be a part of the culture and community where we retire.  Want to be included in expat community but want to be integrated in the local community.   Need internet and reasonable airfare for kids and grand kids to afford to come visit   Need a yarn shop, coffee shop, fun restaurants, festivals, slow paced existence. Must have Skype.

We also need to learn Spanish. Any suggestion for the linguistically challenged.

Time line 5 years. have to start planning now to be able get through the next 5 years. Love my job but ready to step down the rat race now.

Gracias (one of about ten words I know in Spanish 🙁

We are in the same boat, but our time line is a little shorter (2 yrs).  We picked Rosarito and have purchased a condo at the La Jolla community just south of the main commercial area. 

It's not a short topic, but my main reason was the close proximity to San Diego.  We have grandkids scattered all over the US (LA-TX-NorCal) and figured Rosarito was a good choice for us to drive over and them to drive/fly close by.  Rosarito is only 30 min south of the border via a really nice toll road.   

My research has seemed to indicate that Baja (and the further south you go) is almost an island unto itself.  We have been to Rosarito a few times and never felt uncomfortable.  But then again we aren't out at 2:00 AM and stay well aware of our surroundings.

Hi, we are not experts but my wife and I travelled many years in Mexico before finally decided to move permanently in Mexico next October.

We took 10 years of RVing and  four years of renting condo, house and bungalow apartment before deciding on renting an apartment  (2 bedrooms) in La Peñita de Jaltemba, Nayarit.

So, since your timeline is 5 years, we suggest you travel in various areas within Mexico, rent only, visit, ask questions then decide  (rent, buy, fly, drive and select area).

We have friends in various areas within Mexico, it's a matter of individual taste.

Adios y buena suerte para su proyecto, GyC.