New members of the Puerto Rico forum, introduce yourselves here – June to December 2017

Hi all,

Newbie on the Puerto Rico forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Puerto Rico if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

PD : The thread New members of the Puerto Rico forum, introduce yourselves here – 1st quarter of 2017 continues below!

Hello! I am new to expat.com and still figuring out the technical side of it... I had posted earlier, but think it went to the wrong page... (?)

I am a certified yoga instructor and bartender. Currently, I live in Asheville, NC and work at the Biltmore Winery. I also teach private yoga lessons.

My pup and I are considering moving to Vieques for the work season (October-March). Absolutely any advice as far as housing, employment, vehicle and overall logistics would be much appreciated! My goal is a lucrative, adventurous experience.

Thank you for starting this thread 🌻

Hi YogaFlow,
Welcome to the forum.
Have you worked in Vieques before?
Unemployment is very high in PR and higher in Vieques. Competition for jobs is insane.

What sort of Pup you talking about? All mixes of Pit bull are not allowed to be transported to the island.

Welcome to the forum!

As Rey mentioned, jobs are hard to come by, specially in Vieques or Culebra. I will really think hard and plan ahead before making the trip without a secure job offer. Are you bilingual? Do you have enough savings to carry you until you find a job? Plan B even C?

I don't want to be negative but been prepare will save you lots of headaches in the long run.

Maybe you could find a resort or an established organization to work with. I am in the Asheville area and have been  living in Puerto part time for 13 years. I do know some Yoga instructors in Asheville. If you want to meet to discuss living in Puerto Rico in detail just send me a personal message.

Hello ReyP,

I have not worked in PR previously. I am trying to stay flexible and consider other parts of the US Virgin Islands as well. Any recommendations?

He is a German Shepherd mix and will have his rabies and paperwork prepared 😊 Thank you for the tip!

Adlin20,

Not negative at all! I appreciate your realistic stance on the matter. I speak a touch of Spanish  and am continuing to learn (wish me luck!!!).

I have an aquantince or two on the island that went without secured employment, which gave me the idea. I am able to sustain myself financially without, but am looking for an opportunity where I can save more than spend.

I am not opposed to looking into other areas, if you have any suggestions!

Thank you!!!

Thank you!! I will send you a message 😊

YogaFlow wrote:

Adlin20,

Not negative at all! I appreciate your realistic stance on the matter. I speak a touch of Spanish  and am continuing to learn (wish me luck!!!).

I have an aquantince or two on the island that went without secured employment, which gave me the idea. I am able to sustain myself financially without, but am looking for an opportunity where I can save more than spend.

I am not opposed to looking into other areas, if you have any suggestions!

Thank you!!!

I will suggest the Rincón area, more expatriates in that area plus lots of business caters towards English speaking folks. That will be easier to find a job while you polish you spanish. If you stay away from the tourist areas, housing is inexpensive. Check out "friends from Rincón " group in FB. Some folks post apartment and houses for rent in the area. Away from the metro and tourist area, the housing and cost of living in relatively low ( example: rent for an apartment 1/1 in SG can go for as low as $200/m). Take into consideration, most rentals do not bring any appliances. So keep that in mind.

Here is some information:

Se rentan apartamentos en Rincon Barrio Puntas de 1 o 2 cuartos, equipados en excelente ubicación área privada a precio económico se rentan por dias,semanas y mensual. llama para más información al teléfono 787-719-0231 o al 787-410-5274 con Miguel Muñiz

For Rent one or two bedroom apartment with furniture , great area with ocean view and beach at walking distance. Situated at the west of the Island ,walking distance for big waves area for surfing . Very good prices by days, weeks or monthly. Please call for information 787-719-0231 or 787-410-5274 ask for Miguel Muñiz

YogaFlow wrote:

Hello ReyP,

I have not worked in PR previously. I am trying to stay flexible and consider other parts of the US Virgin Islands as well. Any recommendations?

He is a German Shepherd mix and will have his rabies and paperwork prepared 😊 Thank you for the tip!

Rincon, Dorado, Fajardo, Metro San Juan around Condado. These have English And tourist so a chance at a job.
Your dog sounds fine

Vieques can be a problem, you have to take a boat, those that live there compete hard for jobs, any emergency you need to be moved by boat or plane.

Here are s another one; 
1 cuarto dormitorio sala,cocina,balcon, espacio 2 carros. 1 persona ó pareja Aguadilla carretera#2. Sito tranquilo y todo cerca Mas Inf. 787-602-7962

This one they're asking $350/m.

Last one,

Se alquilan apartamentos.
Espacio nuevo!!!
1hab+ 1baño
Incluyen: agua, luz, lavadora secadora y estufa
Amplio estacionamiento
Nunca usado TODO NUEVO!!!
A pasos del colegio de Mayaguez
Área de Balboa

Here is a section 8 one;

Alquiler en Hormigueros
Precio $350 Acepta Plan 8
Requisitos: Deposito y mes de renta, por contrato, Personas serias, responsabes, tranquilas.
Lugar: Urbanizacion La Monserrate, facil acceso a la carr #2, Salida 163 en Hormigueros (area OESTE)
Descripcion: Buenas condiciones, Lugar tranquilo, buenos vecinos, 1 cuarto, 1 baño, cocina, sala/comedor, estacionamiento frente al apartamento, laundry, patio, rejas y ventanas de seguridad, calentador de agua, extintor de fuego para casos de emergencia. Vea las fotos, no incluye agua/luz NO MASCOTAS ni grandes ni pequeñas.
Facilidades de la urbanizacon: cancha de baloncesto, parque de pelota, parque pasivo para niños, pista para caminar/correr
Cerca: 3 a 5 minutos de oficinas medicas, farmacias restaurantes, Supermerado, Banco Popular, Dentista, Panaderia, Tiendas, Liberty (internet), Oficinas de WIC, etc. De 7 -10 minutos de: Mayaguez Mall, escuelas: elemetal, intermedia y superior. A 15 minutos de Hospital de la Concepcion, Surf N Fun Water Park y Shopping de San German.
Interesados LLAMAR al propietario al 787 383 7266, NO comentarios, NO inbox. La razon: NO ES MIO. NO puedo responder sus preguntas porque no puedo tomar desiciones sobre la propiedad. Por tal motivo se les provee la informacion que me brindaron y se les exhorta a que llamen al numero que se provee.

Last one no animal regardless of size

ReyP wrote:

Last one no animal regardless of size

Yup! I just mentioned because it's section 8. You can negotiate with the owners, who knows maybe they deal since you're coming from mainland.

Rey,

I am not sure if the adds are ok with the forum. I mentioned them to give some examples of rental prices around the west part of the island.

I am not related to any of the rental post. The information comes from FB groups I am member of.

The idea is to help the members, I have no issue with them.

I sincerely appreciate you sharing your knowledge of the area! I will undoubtably look into those suggestions and more of those areas. This will be my first time living out of the states for an extended period. So much excitement and so much to learn! Thank you!! If you think of anything else that may be helpful to know, please feel free to inbox me.

Good information on Vieques... exactly why I wanted to join this forum and learn more! Thank you!

The dreamer part of me would love to live in Vieques, the practical part say NO FREAKING way. Storms and outages can also be a problem, needing a medicine that is not on hand at the local pharmacy means a trip to the big island. Huracanes can also be a problem there specially the issue of water. their hill are nowhere the size of the big island mountains, winds are more likely to cause damages.

We have a friend sister that lives in vieques, she tell us local stores close by 3pm and they sell everything more expensive. Most locals have to fight the ferry and on wknds is a nightmare because of tourism. It is basically a retirement place, not much to do other than the beach.

Transportation is a necessary factor unless you are in San Juan. A pup might make it challenging to find a rental. Mass transit is very limited. Just a couple of important things to be aware of.

Hey Folks I'm Leyito born and raised in Puerto Rico, ready to go back home after almost 20 years in the US mainland... Im a widower, I have 4 kids, 3 that I'm raising alone...

Hey Leyito,
Welcome to the Forum and hope you will return to Puerto Rico soon.

Like you I was born in PR and raised there until 20. I been in the US mainland since and will be returning about this time next year. This time I will be retired. Moving to Ceiba, where are you moving to? Are you going to your old folks property or getting a new one?

Well technically I retired yesterday.

How can we help?

Hi, my wife and I are coming to Condado for 5 weeks (starting on 6/12 to do some house hunting). Rent first then maybe buy. Any expat groups that get together in the Condado area to socialize and/or to get involved with the community?

Thanks,

JOHN

Jgolak wrote:

Hi, my wife and I are coming to Condado for 5 weeks (starting on 6/12 to do some house hunting). Rent first then maybe buy. Any expat groups that get together in the Condado area to socialize and/or to get involved with the community?

Thanks,

JOHN

I believe suzanne12345 has the most info about group meets in Condado. Welcome to the forum and to Puerto Rico

Hello everyone. I am a single 29 year old guy currently living in colorado. A friend of mine from college recently moved to Rincon and i am thinking about joining him with my dog. He said work is not hard to come by if you can cater to tourists, and i am a cook by trade. Would appreciate any advice, pros, cons etc.. I am also trying to figure out if it is possible to get there by boat from the U.S so my dog does not have to travel in the cargo hold of a plane. She is a dachshund/beagle mix.
Thank you

Hi coelement777,
Welcome to the forum.
It is possible to use a boat or a cruise, but I do not think (could be wrong) that animals are allowed on a cruise. I would recommend you use a plane.

Rincon is a possibility for a job since it caters mostly to tourist and expats. Out of tourist season retaining the job may prove a challenge. Still jobs are not a dime a docent, if you depend on a job to live I would still not recommend coming to PR, it has an unemployment of around 15%, some towns have 25% unemployment. US has 4.4% so it is going to be a challenge unless your friend is well connected.
Rey

Welcome to the forum.   Dogs are treated very well on airlines.  I have traveled with mine back and forth to the states and they a happy and healthy. Just check with the veterinarian about the latest vaccination requirements.  Picture you and the dog running along the beach.

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I came across this website while looking for info on moving to Puerto Rico and joined up. In my short time on here it has been a wealth of information! I currently live in NYC and am married with 2 boys ages 2 and 4 years old. My eldest just turned 4 last week and starts pre-k this September. We are a Nuyorican family hoping to move to Puerto Rico by early next year (maybe sooner hopefully!) and am considering the Fajardo area or Barceloneta/Arecibo/Rincon/northwestern part of PR.

Private bilingual schools are a must and we will be pretty much leaving most of our personal possessions behind. I own a small business selling my natural hair care brand through my website and other online venues. What I hope to attain from here are different perspectives and advice on towns, expenses, buying, etc. I've already learned so much in my short amount of time on here  (thanks especially to you, Rey!). This website and the people on here's insight is beyond value. Thanks for taking the time to read my story.

We already spoken a bit but, welcome to the forum and Puerto Rico soon. If you move to Fajardo we will be close

Hi John - welcome to condado! I'd be happy to meet up and chat if you are still around. I've been in condado for almost 3 years now, lots of Americans in the area, newcomers is a great way to meet people too!

Hello all!  My husband and I are considering a move to Puerto Rico next year.  He is a software developer with a successful internet based company.  We are looking at the Dorado area to rent for a few years to see if PR could be home for us.  I am bilingual (Spanish), husband knows no Spanish.   

I am just enjoying reading all the forums and getting as much information as possible.  You guys are a wealth of information!

I have a 10 yr old English Bulldog (about 40 lbs) and a smaller dog (boston terrier) that I could possibly take in an airline cabin with me (under 20 lbs).  My biggest concern is for my dogs since both are brachycephalic type dogs (flat face, short nose, breathing issues).  Any alternate route by boat?  Private charter maybe?  These dogs are like our kids and cost is not a huge issue.

I am heavily into animal rescue (canine primarily) and would be interested in joining one of the local rescues there.   I know the stray situation there is pretty bad.

I will continue to read and ask some questions.  I am very nervous about this move... hubby is excited and can't wait to go.  We are planning to visit for a week at the end of this summer to scout it out.

Any and all advice is appreciated!  Who knows... I may be meeting a lot of you very soon!

Ana Lisa

Welcome to the forum! We are here to help!

Welcome Aharkness      If you move to PR we know some folks in the dog rescue group.  Yes, the stray dog situation here is very bad - many people complain about it.

Aharkness wrote:

Hello all!  My husband and I are considering a move to Puerto Rico next year.  He is a software developer with a successful internet based company.  We are looking at the Dorado area to rent for a few years to see if PR could be home for us.  I am bilingual (Spanish), husband knows no Spanish.   

I am just enjoying reading all the forums and getting as much information as possible.  You guys are a wealth of information!

I have a 10 yr old English Bulldog (about 40 lbs) and a smaller dog (boston terrier) that I could possibly take in an airline cabin with me (under 20 lbs).  My biggest concern is for my dogs since both are brachycephalic type dogs (flat face, short nose, breathing issues).  Any alternate route by boat?  Private charter maybe?  These dogs are like our kids and cost is not a huge issue.

I am heavily into animal rescue (canine primarily) and would be interested in joining one of the local rescues there.   I know the stray situation there is pretty bad.

I will continue to read and ask some questions.  I am very nervous about this move... hubby is excited and can't wait to go.  We are planning to visit for a week at the end of this summer to scout it out.

Any and all advice is appreciated!  Who knows... I may be meeting a lot of you very soon!

Ana Lisa

I have not heard of any dogshaving issues with transportation via airplane. If you are concerned speak with your vet about potential issues and follow that with some questions to the airlines
Welcome to the forum

Thank you!! 

I will talk to my vet.  I was just wondering if there were any options other than air travel for dogs over 20 lbs. 

I'm an overprotective dog mom...  :P

Aharkness wrote:

Thank you!! 

I will talk to my vet.  I was just wondering if there were any options other than air travel for dogs over 20 lbs. 

I'm an overprotective dog mom...  :P

Larger dog will go on a crate, drop off at night, to arrive in PR early morning hours before it gets too hot. After you arrive you have to go pick the dog. Air line will advice you of all details.

Not too practical to do boat travel, dog has to be cared for for several days, sea travel may be more stressful than air and take several days.

Main concern may be an ear infection that may become painful at high altitude, that is why I said check with vet, to ensure there are no health conditions that may be incompatible with air travel.

Closed