Close
Follow all our news on Facebook!

New members of the Mexico forum, introduce yourselves here – June to December 2017

Hi all,

Newbie on the Mexico forum? Don’t know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Mexico if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

PD : The thread New members of the Mexico forum, introduce yourselves here – 1st quarter of 2017 continues below!

Hola! My name is Angela. My husband and I and our 5yr old daughter are getting ready to move to San Miguel de Allende. We are planning to arrive in July. We want to get out of the states. We all speak Spanish. We are looking for a 1-2 bedrooms, furnished somewhat. We plan on staying for a few months. My husband is heading down a few weeks before my daughter and I arrive to look for a place. Any information and guidance would be highly appreciated

Hi my name is Melina
Me and my fiancé moved to San Luis Potosí few month ago . I love the country and the city I live in. It's a very happy country I thinks. The  only thing is that I can't find much English speaking people around and because my Spanish is not as good that I can communicate easily I feel alone . My fiancé is always at work and it's a bit hard to get around with my level of Spanish. Plus I want to work here but I'm on tourist visa for now I'm getting my temporary staying permit after my marriage. But I don't know if Im allowed to work with that or not :( but the important thing is I'm getting depressed without anyone who speaks my language :(

Hi There,

Glad to be part of this group!  I live in Cancun and always open to meeting new people.

If you’re thinking about moving here, here’s some food for thought:

Cancun has the best airport in Latin America (even above Mexico City), connected to 24 destinations within Mexico and more than 100 international destinations being Canada and USA the two countries with more connecting flights. 

Cancun is a city of ‘migrants’, most people living here were born elsewhere and most come from Mexico City.  English is commonly used by many residents and the city has a significant international community, mainly from Canada, the USA and Europe.

You can find properties (both for sale and for rent) at a great price.  Utilities are inexpensive; although electricity expenses can skyrocket during the summer due to the hot weather.  Regarding services such as internet, telephone and cable TV, providers offer packages you can choose from depending on your needs and preferences.

Almost no traffic (except for peak hours) and definitely little to no pollution; weather is a sunny and warm 28° to 32°C /82° to 90°F year round.   

Security is a top priority for Cancun, but as anywhere in the world, you need to be aware of where you are going. There are many gated communities where you can live.

Tourism and services (hotels, spas, restaurants, bars, nightclubs, etc.), construction and trade are the main activities that drive the economy of Cancun. 
Finding a well-paid job in Cancun is VERY difficult… make sure you have enough money to back your living costs…

Hope the info helps.

Hello my name is AL.

I lived once in Cancun with my mum for 3 years. Now I am thinking about living in Cancun, but really don't want to work for anyone in Mexico as hours and expectations are high and the paychecks are low, based on other people's experiences and self-conducted research on glassdoor.

I wanted to know from someone from Germany or Europe, if there is a possibility to work for a company in Germany or Europe, with the idea of getting the European salary and live comfortable in Cancun, as German  wages are higher than the Mexican ones, if compare two financial analysts, by doing it online through the help of the computer and internet.

I am currently struggling to find the right job in Germany or Europe, and do not know how to approach my search effectively

In general, I want to live in Cancun, but work online for a company located in Germany or Europe, with the idea of receiving the paychecks and benefits, that German/European money goes to Mexican home.

Let me know if there are any issues or if there is anything that I might need to know about.

What about the work-life balance, the salary and the work conditions for someone with Bachelors degree and above.

My husband and I first visited Cancun in 1991 on our honeymoon and fell in love with the area. Since then we have spent most of our vacations in Cancun and Playa. We want to get solid plans on finally being able make a permanent move in about a year. We have researched a lot over the years but aren't really sure where to start and what processes we should undergo first. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you need help  4doghouse, I think we would need more information.

Meanwhile while you explore, I would suggest you read previous posts listed by topic. I'm sure you will find a lot of things of interest. It usually is overwhelming at first, and the previous posts will give you something to think about and learn from..

One of our main questions is about residency. Should we start the process by applying for temporary or permanent residency?  Next is a place to live. I was thinking about renting for about 6 months before we purchased a place. Do you think that is a good idea?

4doghouse :

One of our main questions is about residency. Should we start the process by applying for temporary or permanent residency?  Next is a place to live. I was thinking about renting for about 6 months before we purchased a place. Do you think that is a good idea?

Good basic plans. Explore and decide where you would like to be. You have 180 days on a visitor visa before you have to cross a border to renew (3 days- to a week, then cross and get another 180 days). We spent 2 years going back and forth before we had a concrete plan . It is actually better if you have a plan in place before trying for longer visas or buying anything..

When you figure out where you want to be,you can apply for a more permanent visa by going to a Mx. counsel on the U.S. side.

Having some place that you are renting will give you an address and paperwork, like electric bills. They want to see that you are serious. Spend time seeing how you feel actually living in Mexico. Then you can apply for a temporary or permanent visa. Which you will get,  depends on your income.

Many of us remain flexible by not buying property here. You need an address, but you don't have to do all of the paperwork, and learning about a totally different country all at once.

Make establishing yourself first.

Thanks so much for your responses. We know we want to live somewhere between Cancun and Playa. Do you live in Cancun?

Cost of living in Cancun can be quite inexpensive compared to the USA or Europe, but then again, you can also spend a lot of money for the finer things in life... it really depends on your lifestyle.

It always amuses me when I come across expats that assume everything in Mexico is cheap. Recently an American woman got annoyed and thought she was getting swindled when told a semi-furnished apartment – no utilities included went for $1,200 USD a month.  She insisted in ‘negotiating it down’ to $600 USD a month, with utilities included of course!  It seems she couldn’t grasp the concept that when renting/buying property, location is king.
Of course you can find rental properties for $150 USD a month or buy a house for $25K; and if you do so, you’ll get to experience the real Cancun and have as neighbors people that earn less than $300 USD a month and struggle day in - day out to make ends meet…

Salaries are very low in Cancun, just do a quick search on indeed.com.  A BS degree will get you on average $10,000 MXP a month.  Being an expat and knowing several languages may or may not be something you can use to your advantage.  You need to come here with a job or good connections to grab the executive/manager level jobs, otherwise you’ll be doomed to selling yourself short. 
This isn’t happening only in Mexico though, there’s a trend not to value employees contributions and figure out ways to pay them the least amount possible… if you don’t want the job, someone else will since unemployment is so high everywhere, I don’t care what governments publish as the ‘official’ unemployment rate.

In any case, if you are of an entrepreneurial mindset, perhaps the best option is to start your own business…

4doghouse :

Thanks so much for your responses. We know we want to live somewhere between Cancun and Playa. Do you live in Cancun?

No, I crave tranquility, so I live north of there in Campeche. I do visit once or twice a year, in fact I will be there in August. It's just that it's more expensive, and lots of tourists are not my cup of tea. I prefer a more native connection, but I do like visiting . Sort of like one of several Mexican  Vacation Disneylands. :D  One of several. Playa del C, baja,  and  Matzlan would be 3 more. Great places to vacation for a couple of weeks.

I live in historically rich Campeche.

I decided it would be a shame to just stop in one place and not see Mexico. So I have been many places at least once, and still have many more to see. ;)

Our lifestyle is quite simple compared to most. We don't require that much. The last few times we vacationed in these areas we intentionally lived more like locals. Rented an inexpensive place to stay for a few weeks, cooked most of our meals at the apartment. We used  public transportation to food shop at the markets and go to the beach.We checked out prices for daily necessities and feel that we would enjoy living life that way. We enjoy a meal out and drinks with friends but we prefer the smaller local places. We have found places to rent that seem to fit our budget and be in areas that we are interested in living. We are planning a trip very soon to do more investigating. As far as work, we don't really have to but since my husband and I are both entrepreneurs and like to have something to do ,we are exploring a couple of ideas.

Good for you. Sounds like you have had quite an interesting time in Mexico. We may end up further south ourselves for just those reasons. We both love the beautiful beaches and the water that the Caribbean has to offer. My husband also loves fishing there. We are from Alabama and the weather is very similar minus the cold winters. Humidity is something we are used to and just seems normal. Hoping to take another extended trip very soon to do more investigating.

True , you can usually find cheaper everywhere, but that is not what the tourists who are thinking of moving want. I pay more than many but that is because I 'm a couple of blocks from the bay, and a few more blocks from the historic center of the city.

There were much cheaper places, like the tiny house close to one of the universities. $600 pesos a month water cost included. But the electric could be very expensive because of A/C. Cancun is hot also during part of the year Tulum and Playa are even hotter.

The stove and A/C were iffy, the "garage" was not actually a garage, and there was nothing at all to look at. The bay would have been a 1/2 mile walk and el centro a few blocks. 
It's just a matter of what you really want Basically, don't expect a beach a couple of blocks away or malls close by if you need to go very cheap. It doesn't happen here and it happens even less in the Cancun area.  Even if you don't believe in climate change , you should think what if in areas like Cancun.  :unsure

The bay was two to three block away in the past and we have had a couple of high tide days  on the street  last year.  Looks like the bay is working on returning to it's past position. Good thing I didn't buy a house or bring lot's of furniture.

I am a single, old retired woman who is looking to move out of the US.  I intend to do online research and read everything I can find on this site as well as others.  Feel free to email me if you have questions and especially if you want to share advice/experiences.  Thank you.

BeverlySnow :

I am a single, old retired woman who is looking to move out of the US.  I intend to do online research and read everything I can find on this site as well as others.  Feel free to email me if you have questions and especially if you want to share advice/experiences.  Thank you.

Hi BeverlySnow,

Welcome ,We don't privately email. We are a working group, so you tell us what you have questions about and we try to help answer your questions.

Where is the best place for someone of my age to live?  I am alone and have no family.  I don't care about beaches so the coast is not important.  I would value walkability and
good WIFI.  My Spanish is limited but I am good at learning.  In college I spoke Spanish well so it wouldn't be that difficult to relearn.  Any recommendations will be welcome.

BeverlySnow :

Where is the best place for someone of my age to live?  I am alone and have no family.  I don't care about beaches so the coast is not important.  I would value walkability and
good WIFI.  My Spanish is limited but I am good at learning.  In college I spoke Spanish well so it wouldn't be that difficult to relearn.  Any recommendations will be welcome.

Hi, may I suggest you to visit other forums to get information or create a new one.
Regarding were to live, you could check out the following forum "best cities to live in Mexico".

Buena suerte en su proyecto, GyC.

mexicogc :
BeverlySnow :

Hi, may I suggest you to visit other forums to get information or create a new one.
Regarding were to live, you could check out the following forum "best cities to live in Mexico".

Buena suerte en su proyecto, GyC.

So, let me suggest you read the previous posts on this forum.
They are all under headings so you can just pick out the topic of choice. The responses are coming from real people, many of whom already live here so they are well experienced.
I noted , you already are looking at other sites and you just want to know what we have to offer.

We will be glad to help after we learn what you  need. Do you have a particular climate preference. ?

I have no particular climate preference.  Beaches don't matter. Mountains are OK.  I like deserts.

BeverlySnow :

I have no particular climate preference.  Beaches don't matter. Mountains are OK.  I like deserts.

Okay so then it seems you priorities would be mainly comfortable and safe . Would you prefer to be closer to the border so you can easily cross over ? That would mean somewhere near Tijuana. Unfortunately the cartels like the deserts also so I think beach areas would be better.

What has been your experience with Mexico , and how did you feel about it ? Would you be flying or traveling by car ?

Hi!
I have the same issue with the language barrier living here in Mexico City:) Immersion has not delivered the promised Spanish language skills. I went to a website recommended by my cousin called MeetUp and looked for groups of people wanting to practice their English skills. I have met several wonderful people this way. Hopefully, you will find a similar group in your city. I wish you the best!
Pat

I gather that the best way to sample Mexico is to rent a place from AirB+B and fly down there.   If anyone has a similar plan or experience from utilizing such a plan,   let me know.

In the profile section, there doesn't seem to be an option to say you're from USA, or America, or North America.  So I just put Australia.  Anyone know how I can say I'm from U.S.?

nikbus99 :

In the profile section, there doesn't seem to be an option to say you're from USA, or America, or North America.  So I just put Australia.  Anyone know how I can say I'm from U.S.?

You should be able to click on your image and select edit. Perhaps just say you are American in a separate line near the top of your self description, like I did..

Hi!  Thanks for the welcome.
   My husband and myself are looking to retire in Mexico.  Likely the Yuctan area as I love the ocean.  I am retired after 25yrs working front desk at an animal hospital and my husband still has a year or so to retire from teaching 6th grade for many years.  We are actually now in Tulum renting a little casa. Will be here only another couple weeks. Getting used to the area to see how we like it.  Feel it may be a bit small for us.  What do you all think about Playa de Carmen?  Anyone in the Tulum area-or Playa we could meet for lunch or something while still here?  So many questions!  Being from NE we are looking forward to no snow and are hoping to find somewhere to live on our social security. 
  I have contacted a few realtors in Playa but have not heard back from them.  (Without mentioning we are really looking at a year or so still. ) Any idea why?  Also doing a "tour trip" this weekend with the TAO group.  Anyone have opinions on them?   
  Look forward to hearing from someone.  Thanks  Jan

I also had that problem and put off joining awhile back.  This time I found the USA under U.S.  try that.  good luck  Jan

I don't know exactly where the link to introduce yourself is.  Is this the area?

thanks,

connie

I would love to hear more about your experience.

nikbus99 :

I don't know exactly where the link to introduce yourself is.  Is this the area?

thanks,

connie

This is the section but to often new members are asking questions. That is a problem so if you are looking for more information on various subjects do a search under forum or create a new one. Adios y buen dia, GyC.

Hello im Frank looking towards relicating from ontario California to Sayulita.
My wifes mom lives in Guadalajara and it would be closer for her to visit. When we move we want the beach coastal environment not big city Inland. I retire full in 2 years and i purpose to get everything in order before we make the move.
I've read permanent visa is better than temporary visa.
Or should i apply for dual citizenship?
Advice ideas comments experience is welcomed.
Frank...shalom

It's easier to get Mexican citizenship once you have Permante.  Show them the money you have and you can get permanente, that simple.  Mazel tov! Ronnie

thanks for your reply.
permanent is through mexican consulate here in san bernardino, California?
i guess you mean to apply for permanent residence in mexico? apply here first?
How does that affect my usa citizenship?
I'm born here. my wife born in mexico but has dual citizenship.
whats best for us?
frank

Hi we arrived in ajijic ( lake Chapala area ) around 2 months ago . Perfect weather, large xpat community, safe,  beautiful. The prices for Mexico are higher but good place to start and take spainish classes . Look for rental way ahead due to high season, snow birds, November thru February.

panchile :

My wifes mom lives in Guadalajara and it would be closer for her to visit. When we move we want the beach coastal environment not big city Inland. I retire full in 2 years and i purpose to get everything in order before we make the move.
Frank...shalom

it's a good Idea to prepare Frank. Have you taken a few exploratory trips ? I imagine you may have with your wife's mother being in Guadalajara. Does your wife have Mexican citizenship? There is a different direction to go if she does.

As for citizenship, I personally feel residente permanente is easier to get , and that citizenship is much harder. I don't see any real advantage to citizenship other than voting, because you can have almost all of the same things as a permanent resident. The visa you get depends on your income.

panchile :

thanks for your reply.
whats best for us?
frank

Yes frank,
You go to the counsel for Mexico close to you.  First check on their website for the current paperwork needed. You might want to give them a call and ask how you should proceed given your wife is a citizen of Mexico. No you do not have to give up your citizenship in the U.S. to get a visa.

It is not difficult it just consists of 2 passport type photos, and some paperwork which will include financial proof. You will get all of those details from them, or their web site. I'm not sure if your wife would require much, if anything. As a citizen , she already has the cards and information required to enter Mexico. I would suspect it's just you that would require sorting out.

panchile :

Frank...shalom

Hello Frank.

You have 3 options when applying for residence status. At a Mexican Consulate in the US or at your local Immigration office in Mexico where you will be living for a Residente Temporal under the "vinculo familiar" [family bond] law being married to a Mexican National or a Residente Temporal under the "vinculo familiar" law in the US or a Residente Permanente in the US showing financial solvency of about $2,000 USD per month deposits for 6 to 12 months or an investement account of about $100,000 USD balance for 12 months.  Citizenship is not an option for you at this time. I suggest you post in the Mexico fórum your questions not here in the introduce yourself to get answers to your questions.

travellight :
panchile :

thanks for your reply.
whats best for us?
frank

Yes frank,
You go to the counsel for Mexico close to you.  First check on their website for the current paperwork needed. You might want to give them a call and ask how you should proceed given your wife is a citizen of Mexico. No you do not have to give up your citizenship in the U.S. to get a visa.

It is not difficult it just consists of 2 passport type photos, and some paperwork which will include financial proof. You will get all of those details from them, or their web site. I'm not sure if your wife would require much, if anything. As a citizen , she already has the cards and information required to enter Mexico. I would suspect it's just you that would require sorting out.

Hi Frank, I am not an expert but my understanding is that the only document requirement would be a valid mexican passport. Adios, GyC.

Expatriate health insurance in Mexico

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Mexico

Moving to Mexico

Find tips from professionals about moving to Mexico

Travel insurance in Mexico

Enjoy stress-free travel to Mexico

Flights to Mexico

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Mexico