New members of the Dominican Republic forum, introduce yourselves here – June to December 2017

Let me add my welcome.  I too am from New Jersey and grew up in Morris County.
Now for the past 11+ years living here on the north coast.

Bob K

Bob,

Looks like my timing will be spot on. Santo Domingo , and President Festival will be going on. Than of for some wind surfing and jazz on the beach Cabarete. Maybe look for some amber.
  Santiago couple days, hit Davidoff and La Aurora, maybe seek out couple amber mines. Than Hit the North river for some white water rafting. Water should moving enough for a nice trip.
  Back for some excursions Barahona, and La Romana.

Thanks

Cheers

Sounds like a great trip

Bob K

Wow sounds very full!!!  Welcome and enjoy!

always open to suggestion from boots on the ground.

Let me know when you are in Santo Domingo, we can have a coffee or a drink!

Hi I am new here and looking to move to Samana Bay Peninsula. What can you tell me about this area?

Welcome to the forums.  There is lots of info within the threads. Read some of the general ones then do a search for Samana.   If you dont find what you are looking for, start a thread!

Welcome.  Like Planner said lots of information here.  Read, read and read some more then come back with specific questions.
Why not tell us a bit about you and why are you moving here?

Bob K

Hi, I am from Vancouver Washington. I have sailed the Caribbean on many occasions and visited many of the Islands. I am hoping to buying an ocean front property on the Samana Bay peninsula to retire. There is a main house and 2 casitas that I plan to rent out especially during whale season. I hope to buy a catamaran and island hop as well.
I will be bringing my 26 year old son with me and my 3 old english sheepdogs.

Welcome to the forums!!! Sounds like you have a plan!!! Good for you. Keep us posted.

Welcome and do keep us posted

Bob K

Hey Everyone!

My name is Ruben and I've been living with my wife and 3yr old and in Santiago for almost a year now. Working in online marketing. Hoping to meet more expats from around here.

Welcome.  Lots of good folks here
Bob K

Welcome to the forums. We look forward to hearing more about your experiences!

Hello everyone,
I retired in November 2016 and I'm considering relocating to the DR. I was in Santo Domingo and Cabarete in June for 2 weeks. I will be back in December. I have not chosen a city yet to move to yet, but I really liked Cabarete. Thanks for the great information that is posted on this blog. This is a tremendous resource!

Welcome to the forums. Glad we are able to help!

Coachkt welcome.  There is lots of good information to read here feel free to ask questions you may have.
We relocated to the north coast between Sosua and Cabarete  over 11 years ago.
Bob K

Hi Greg,

Congratulations on choosing the Dominican Republic to retire in! It's a fascinating country with so much to offer! I work in Real Estate and live in the beautiful North Coast area of Cabrera/Playa Grande. There are great opportunities now if you are looking to purchase either on the coast or ocean view properties. Rentals are also very moderate as you still get a lot for your dollar in this fabulous area of the Dominican Republic.

All the best,
Arielah

Arielah, welcome to the forums.  This thread is a welcome thread. I invite you to post in the various threads as appropriate and remind you not to blatantly advertise your services.  Please go to the classified and business services and post.  Thanks.

Arielah  I second Planner's welcome and yes please contribute as to your experiences and thoughts on living here and do go to the classifieds for posting your business.

Bob K

HI
We currently live in Red Deer Alberta. My wife travels to DR for business and we are considering moving to Punta Cana. We are coming there at the end of November to check things out. Any information that would be helpful would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Warren and Jen

Have you seen much of the Island yet? What attracts you about Punta Cana?  This country ranges from near desert to tropical rain forest, from very high moutains to flat coastal plains. Rolling hills, waterfalls to rivers & lakes. Big cities to tiny villiages, modern highways to hidden dirt roads & everything in between. You are welcome here. Explore life & take a  bite out of it. If you think that you might miss the snow, Mt. Duarte sometimes is snow capped. ( over 10,000 ft. high).  I moved to Sosua in 2002  am happy here. Have explored the island by auto & on my V-Star motorcycle.  The 3 L's apply: Look, Listen. Learn.    There are great people on this site willing to help in any way that they can. Just ask.

HI. We are looking at Punta Cana as this is where our business will be based. We also do business in Santo Domingo but would prefer to live in Punta Cana. My wife has been there. We will certainly try explore when we get there. Great site. Thanks

Thinking about bringing my Can-Am Spyder to some riding around. It can take rougher roads better than a motorcycle but certainly takes up more road space. I have seen one new Spyder in Moca so hope there are potentially some mechanics for occasional work if required.

Good luck on finding someone to service exotic motors.

Bob K

About the only thing exotic is the skin covering the motor. Otherwise, it is a regular motor as I have been told by various mechanics. But still.....will likely sell to avoid non-required problems......

Please please please keep this for welcome and introduction.

Discussion needs to take place in the other threads.  Thanks everyone, I appreciate your help on this.

Welcome Warren and Jen. Lots of good info here and people willing to help.

Take a look through the threads for info and ask questions whenever you need. As well, feel free to start your own thread if you dont find what you are looking for!

Hi, let me introduce myself....Mi name is Gianni and I'm a retired Italian Navy Officer. I'm in the Rd since 2014 after I got a residence. Let me tell you, is a great country but with a lot of contradictions.
Actually I'm living in Santo Domingo, but I'm planning to move somewhere else much safer. Because this is the main problem in the capital...Safety! Las Terrenas is ok but I like  much more Samanà. I can't recommend any immigration layer because are all the same...Layer! Before you hire any of them I suggest to get yourself @ the Migration and ask what has to be done...I hope you speak a little bit of spanish, because nobody understand english.

I am planning on moving to Samana. What do you not like about Las Terranas? I visited there and it looked great. Please expand.

Welcome Gianni. Sounds like you are finding your way around. Yes its tough to find a good lawyer. Both Bob and I have had some good experience.

Thank you for introducing yourself. Keep us posted on your journey here. Maybe atart a thread to discuss samana vs las terrenas.

I've nothing against Las Terrenas, it's just a matter of personal taste. No more than that. :cool:

Welcome Gianni
Yes there is a definite learning curve to living here.
If you need a good lawyer let me know as I have a few that we use all the time over the last 12 years.

Bob K

I am from Alaska and I have been around a bit. I enjoy the people of Samana and alas Terrena. I have been in Santo Domingo but am not much of a city girl at this point. Presently I am looking to build a small resort/retreat of tiny houses on some property I recently purchased in Samana. I am a bit stuck there at the moment but it's sometimes part of the experience I guess.

I haven't gotten to that city yet.  I'm still deciding where to live.  I'm leaning towards Costambar area of Puerta plata, but also like Sosua. I'm definitely not into city life anymore. I didn't like Santo Domingo. I'm in a good situation in terms of work.  I work 2 weeks on 2 weeks off throughout the winter months in North Dakota,  and full-time in the summer months,  or hurricane season in the DR.

Sousa is beautiful. As is Puerta Plata! I like the up and coming places. Guess you could call me a bit of a naturalist. Lol

Welcome to you. I first visited  in 1996 & returned to Sosua area many, many times knowing that I would end up living here some day. That day came in march of  2002. Spent a lot of time all along the North shore. it takes WHILE TO ADJUST TO THE WAY OF LIFE HERE. ( a stuck key, I'm not yelling) Sorry; old PC. Read all the threads & ask question, hopefully ones that were never asked before... more fun that way. Tell us what & how you are doing, it will teach us too.

Slowraven welcome.  Good luck on your project.  We have been here full time for nearly 12 years now on the north coast in the Sosau/Cabarete area.
Once I came very close to taking a job in Palmer.

Bob K

Closed