New members of the Dominican Republic forum, introduce yourselves here – June to December 2017

You are very welcome!   We like to help!

We will be out there in September to look around for a potential place to relocate.  Would you recommend that we rent a car out there or is there reliable and safe driving companies that we should consider?  I read that the driving out there can be kind of crazy lol.

Honey would you mind putting this in a thread you open? We try to keep this one for welcoming people.

Thanks!!!

Yes mam! Do I just click on a thread to do that? Sorry new to the forum world. Don't know how to create a thread. Thanks

On the page of threads there is a button to start a new thread honey!

Ok thanks

Greetings. My name is Brian and I will be in the Moca area from 22 Sep to 16 Oct. As a retired military guy, I certainly would appreciate knowing how retirees manage their pensions, CPP and OAS from Canada to DR - that is likely one of the most burning questions I have right now. I will be investigating everything under the sun and it would certainly be great to meet with anyone currently living in DR. Face to face is far better than on these darn computer/internet sites. Like many, I have questions galore. I also have friends that live in Moca - locals. I met their daughter who lives and works in Red Deer. Hope to hear from folks and certainly would be pleased to meet up once down there. Cheers..

Welcome to the forums.  deposit pension in your bank acct there. Use atm card here or wire to your local account. simple!

I was wondering about the cheapest and easiest way to get my money. I think I may eventually open a bank account there as well......will look into the wiring of money as well - thanks very much.....

You are welcome. All banks charge fees on both ends. I tend to only wire once a month or every two months. Avoid wires of over 10,000 US as that slows everything down.

Good afternoon All,

And thank you very much for sharing so many stuff in the different forums.

I am a professional in hospitality industry and I am considering to moving to RD (Punta Cana).
I love the island life (already got remote resorts working experience) and I speak Spanish fluently so I am sure I will love every second of the life in RD.

My question would be more for my wife. She is Malaysian (English and Chinese mother tongue). Can understand and speak a bit of Italian and French but no Spanish at all.
Is there a big expat community in RD which speaks English? She is also a professional in the industry with a lot of resorts experience. Would it be complicate for her to work there without Spanish?

Please share your thoughts and if everything goes well I might meet you very soon in RD!

Many thanks for your help in advance

Hi everyone,
I briefly lived in the Dominican Republic in 2001 on the Eastern side ( Higuey) to be exact, and have visited many times. I'd like to make my move permanent soonythan later. I'd love any advice anyone has, and I literally drove most of the southern part of the island, so I may be able to answer some questions too. I drove from Higuey to Port au Prince (Haiti).  I love to be adventurous!!

Jordax welcome. There is lots of good info here on this forum to read and lots of good folks to answer your questions.
Have  you been here before?  Living is different that visiting here. 
Spanish certainly will help your transition.  Remember to work here legally you need your residency and cedula (lots of info on getting this done can be found here on the forum).
There is a large expat community with larger concentrations on the north coast not as many in the PC area as this area is more geared to the tourist that the EXpat who wants to live here.  Come visit and explore the  country some.

Bob K

Dominican Lover welcome.  Lots of good info here to read. What kind of advice are you looking for?

Bob K

I second Bob's welcome to you both.

Resort jobs start looking while offshore. For some positions resorts will start the work visa process depending on your qualifications and experience.  Be warned - this is not common. Dont expect this.

I would like to start a small preschool out of my home teaching English. Does anyone know how I would go about doing so?

Hi Everyone! Planning a move down in the next 5 years. Right now is the planning, research, more planning, more research, then buying our retirement home! We have our eye on a nice place in Cabrera, but  have not had good luck finding out what issues it may have as far as clear title etc. Glad we found this site, and look forward to reading all the forums on here!~~~ Erika and John in the US.

I'd like to start a small English speaking preschool out of my home, as well as a small store, that sells hot food. One or possibly both. It didn't seem like there were any ordinances when I lived in Higuey in 2001. Does anyone know if that has changed? Any business would be on the small side.

Erika and John welcome. Get a good.land lawyer to tesearch your title. I can recommend a good one in Sosua.

DL - any business you kwn and work in you will need residencia and likely a license. You can operate both without a corporation using your cedula number. Yes things have changed somewhat since 2001.

Erika and John welcome.  Do a  through research on any property you are considering and do have a good lawyer (sometimes hard to find) research the title.  We have one we use as well.
Before you buy anything make sure you come and spend some time here before making the leap.
Lots of good info here so do read the multiple threads.
Again welcome

Bob K

Thank you very much Bob.

Very helpful reply.
I am reading a lot on the forum and yes, loads of info are available which is great!

Thank you very much again.

Hello!  I am Canadian living in Toronto and I am looking into moving to DR. I will be visiting Punta Cana in November to visit a friend and look at properties and gather more info. Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.
I'm also interested to learn of some beaches etc I can visit while there as I won't be staying at a resort.

Erika1965, I recommend Sebastian at drcoastalproperties. He and his father have a long working history with the community...and know Cabrera well.

brodies123, thanks for pointing that website out - some very interesting properties on there.

No problem...although I need to talk to Sebastian about some referral fees...paid in Presidentes! :D

Hello all,  I've been looking at transitioning to the DR for a year or so.  Semi retiring from medicine until my daughter finishes high school.  We have friends that live there already (Santo Domingo I believe) and the slower lifestyle really appeals to me.  We need to come and visit to spend some time.  Seems like life in Santo Domingo is quite different than the north side.  From what I've read I do like the idea of Puerto Plata or maybe even a place in the mountains (Jarabacoa) and one near a beach?  I look forward to lurking and asking a number of questions as I get closer.   Everyone on this site seems genuinely helpful and enthusiastic about transitioning to the DR.  Thanks in advance.

Welcome.  Lots of good info and good folks here.  Read the multiple threads and please come back and ask questions.  A visit for a period of time off the resorts will be helpful in your decisions.   It is a big country with lots to offer in various places.
We settled here on the north coast between Sosua and Cabarete over 11 years ago.

Bob K

Thanks Tex, please read all you can and ask your questions.  We do genuinely like to help.

Hey MrD&MissyC,

When it comes to relocating anywhere in Latin America, the name of the game is to base everything on solid research.  I have seen too many people moving to one place, because it was recommended or because they "fell in love" with it.  First, I would write down what is important in your life - from the important (kids, health concerns) to the seemingly mundane (playing baseball, tasting beer).  Once you have such a list, compare the items when you come down to the DR with the equivalent options there.  Be very meticulous about it.  The first impression is often very misleading when faced with new geography, climate, and culture.  Whatever great experience you will have, always evaluate it asking yourself the following question, "Can I do this every week?"  If you cannot or if don't want to, you should discount that experience.  Hope it helps.

Yup this is what we preach! Do your homework based on YOUR needs.

Hi all, I am new to this forum, but not to DR! I am planning on moving to the DR very soon with my son and boyfriend (who is Dominican born). I have not applied for a visa because my boyfriend owns a colmado and I will be working with him and online. Does anyone know the legal requirements (how long we can stay in the country for without a Cedula/VISA) I will eventually apply but I want to be sure that it is there I want to live.

Welcome to the forums.  Come down and give it a try. When you know you want to stay, go home get your paperwork in order and then  come apply for residencia.   Understand you will overstay your tourist visa and will pay an overstay fee when you leave.

Hi, I am new to the forums. My husband and I are looking to relocate to DR. Are there any english speak healthcare jobs in the areas of Cap Cana, Puerto Plata or any other area you can suggest.

Welcome to the forums.  To work you need residencia. Are there jobs - maybe but they are fairly low paying.

Read the forums - lots of great info here!!!

Welcome. Yes you need your residency and cedula to work here legally.  Jobs are scarce and pay is low. 
Do read all the info here and come back and ask more questions.
Have you been to the DR before?

Bob K

Will do. Thanks.

Yes.  I am Dominican and my husband is American. He has been in the healthcare field for the last 30 years. I am currently a legal assistant, but have worked in other areas. I will do more homework. Thanks.

Hello! My name is Lindsay! Just joined yesterday! There is definitely a lot of info here and has been a great learning experience so far! Everyone is very friendly and willing to share their thoughts and guidance! Like most people I plan to move to DR, just making a plan and getting things situated! I plan on visiting for the second time in December! First time when I was 18 so it has been a while, but I am very excited! I am blessed to be able to work from home which allows me to live where I want, and the DR is sounding more and more the place I want to be! I know a little conversational Spanish and determined to learn more!

I wish everyone else's journey to be a good one and thank you to those who have been involved in informing me of things thus far! :D

Welcome to the forums - you are doing this the right way, or, the way we recommend. Take tour time, read and ask questions!

Thank you planner!

Closed