Finding a job and accomodation

Hi All,

I am new to this forum.

I am an EU citizen and looking to move to london in the future.

I need some help on the following ;-

1. how is it possible to get a job in london if you cannot attend  an interview ?

2. also which is the cheaper area to rent a studio flat or 1 bedroom flat in croydon or wimbledon ?

Regards
Duncan

Hi Duncan and welcome to the Forum.

At the top of the page is our Handy Tools section; if you select that, then our Expat Guide question, you will have access to several articles that may help in your move.

To answer your questions:

Job without interview - I doubt if you will get any job without a face to face interview; I certainly would not employ anybody without seeing them first.  That said, many agencies/companies conduct the initial interview via Skype or Face Time, then if they think you have potential, invite you to come for a face to face meeting.  My advice would be to check the employment agencies on-line, find something you think is suitable for you, then contact them and take it from there.

Wimbledon/Croydon?  The 2 places are only 8 miles (13 kms) apart; when I lived there, I would have said that Wimbledon was the more expensive, but Croydon has moved up-market recently.  My advice is to check on-line - there are many rental agencies looking after the area.

What kind of job are you looking for?  There is plenty of work in and around London for those with the right skills/qualifications; whether it pays enough to allow you to live there is another matter.

Hope this helps.

Hi Cynic,

Thank you for your comments :)

Do you know who can help me in getting a job or any employment agency ?

Also i currently work as a finance executive with an international company but i am willing to find any work till i settle and start living in london so after i can search and attend interviews personally.

Thanks again
Duncan

Hi Duncan,

You can try the jobs link at the top of this page; alternatively, try using the internet to search for jobs in either place and see what you can come up with.  You say you work as a finance executive; what does that mean as it infers a senior position, but that doesn't fit in with your questions?

Assuming you are not in a senior position, I'm reasonably certain that you could get some kind of job, but as I said previously, it's whether you can afford to live in London on the kind of salary those jobs pay (normally minimum wage).

Unless you have a lot of money already, I very much doubt that you'll find any kind of accommodation that you can afford on minimum wage and social housing is virtually none, especially for single males.  If you're determined to try it, try AirBnB as a first stop, then see if you can get work, then do the sums; one word of advice, make sure you have enough money to get back to Malta if it doesn't work out for you.

What's the fascination with the UK, or London in particular?

Hi Duncan,

Depending on the sort of job you are willing to take on and what sort of pay you are looking for there is other options for instance live in positions which offer free accommodation as with a salary too, my wife and i will be in london next week ourselves taking a new job and may once settled after alittle while also have job offers available so keep in touch if interested

Cheers
Dale & Efie

Hi Cynic,

Thanks again for your reply.

Well my job title in my country is Senior Accounts Executive which is equivalent to Senior Finance Executive or Finance Assistant. I am willing to find any work so after i settle in the uk i can start searching and attend interviews in person.

To find some kind of accommodation is the biggest problem i believe. Do you think that an accommodation  outside central london is affordable on a minimum wage ?

I just love the city and also i have family members living in Wimbledon so if im in some kind of difficulty they can help me out.

Thanks again
Duncan Pisani

Hi Duncan - perhaps try visiting your family for a couple of weeks and see what kind of work you can find.  If you click on this link, it will take you to a Google search page for finance jobs in and around Wimbledon; try going through them, then contact the agencies to see what you can find.

With regards to minimum wage etc, this link will take you to the Gov website which has the current details of how much this is.  As to whether you'll be able to get accommodation; this link will take you to a Google search for accommodation in and around Wimbledon.  There is a website provided by an organisation called Numbeo, it contains details of cost of living in certain towns and cities across the world; the nearest I could find was Croydon, this link will take you to that web-page.

Best of luck in your journey. :)

Hi Cynic,

Thank you very much for all your help.

Regards
Duncan

Croydon is miles cheaper than Wimbledon. Try New Addington/ Selsdon area. Slightly South of Croydon, but on tram line.