Moving to veliko tarnovo; any advice?

Thank you for your replies everybody. They are very much appreciated.

I have just returned from another trip to Bulgaria and although I had a wonderful time on the Black Sea Coast south of Burgas, I am pretty sure that the Veliko Tarnovo area is the one for me.

So I'm going back again in September to do some more intensified searching.

The whole property buying exercise seems to be such a minefield. I suppose it is in any country but when you don't know the language it causes anxiety and bewilderment.

So may I draw on your knowledge again please?

I have heard that to own the land on which a house I might purchase is built I need to form a company. Other people have told me that this is no longer necessary since Bulgaria joined the European Union. So which is true?

It has been suggested to me that I will find a better house if I pick a location and approach the town mayor who will help me find a property and pull a few strings for a smaller 'gift' than an estate agent would charge. I have also been told that estate agents have a lot of hidden costs such as viewing fees. However, I am going to Bulgaria to get away from the hassle of living in Britain and I suspect an estate agent might be the easiest route to buying a house that is ready to move in to. Any suggestions?

It isn't normal for me to ask the advice of others as I am usually a fairly decisive and confident person when it comes to making changes to my life but this time I feel I need to tread with caution. So please tell me anything I need to know, either good or bad.

:/

Terry,,you don,t need to form a company,final,,if you view property,,i have a local builder who will help you,he is very honest,,lot of expats use him,,in return for a coffee & sandwich :)

That's good to know Eddie. I'd gladly buy anybody in Bulgaria a coffee and a sandwich but even more so in exchange for sound advice. Trustworthy friends are priceless. Nearer the time I'll ask you for his contact details ... in return for a coffee and a sandwich, of course.

:D

Hi guys! Bought a big old house in a beautiful village called Kilifarvo, just some 10min drive south of VT. More or less finished the renovation and now working on my apartment in the old part of VT. Amazing 180 stunning views with a large terrace.
My mother, in her seventies, would like to know if there are any expats in the area she could meet up with?

Glad to hear you've made the move settling in. I'll go for a cuppa with anybody but I'm not in my seventies yet, in fact I'm still a few months short of my sixties.

Terry  :)

Haven't moved yet. Actually live in Melbourne. My places in Europe are more like vacation homes. I'm 51, just in between you and my mums age :).
Like it in Bulgaria?

I love it here. My only regret is that I didn't come here sooner.

Are you from Melbourne in England or in Australia?

Born in Uganda, then Hong Kong, Sweden, Israel, Holland, Sweden (again) then Australia. Built a place in Fiji some ten years ago but it blew down when cyclone Windton decided to pass by...
Visit Europe three months a year, your summer of course;)

Melbourne Australia. What is it you like so much with living in Bulgaria?

My idea is to invite native English speakers in the virtual classroom for the conversational lessons. If you like the idea, I would invite you, the sessions are on Wednesday and  Thursday, 19,30 - 20.15 Bulgarian time.

I've never done a vertual class,how does it work?

I'm already having Bulgarian lessons but thanks for your invitation. I wish you good luck.

Terry.

Hello,
Virtual classrooms are in online schools.I want to invite you in our online conversational English lesson for Bulgarians and you can learn Bulgarian words this way. *
Plamena

Moderated by Christine 7 years ago
Reason : please do not post your contact details on the forum. Thank you

Hi,
Is this done via Skype, and what is the charge?

Thanks

The conversational course is not held via skype, it is on a virtual platform.

Plamena Ivancheva wrote:

The conversational course is not held via skype, it is on a virtual platform.

Could you use the PM system for off topic chat please.  Thanks kindly.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team