Live and work in canada

Hi everyone
My name is joe. My girlfriend soon to be wife and I would like to move to canada. Im a qualified Metal Fabricator. We would like to get as much information as possible before we commit to moving. If there are any irish people on the forum that live in Canada that might have advice on how to go about this we would much appreciate it.
Thanks

Welcome on Expat.com joeandemma ;)

What kind of information are you seeking. May be the existing threads in the Canada forum can document you a bit about moving to Canada.

Else, you can also contact some Irish via: Irish expatriates in Canada network page.

Regards

Hi joeandemma,

Canada is a big country. Where are you aiming to land?

Metal work is universal, so no problems there. The problem is the hourly rate. It's about 12$ an hour, but you can get 25$ in some places. 45$ if you are in a union like the boiler makers. 2 years formation tough. Cinema Special effect shop use welders fabricators alot. Good money and conditions, plus you get to go out on film sets once in a while which is always nice.

Try an get paid cash if possible. Our government have forgotten that they are servant of the people and think that they are monarchs, and they take half of your money. So try and get paid $$ so they wont touch it. Best way to do that is to start your shop.

It's all English language except in Qc. Even then, you can get by with English and learn some French as you go along. Oui oui.

Do not hesitate should you have more question about metal work, I've been a it for 20 some years :/

also...

- Canada is the trailer behind the truck (usa). Where ever the united states goes, canada fallows.

- Everything here is expensive, and getting worse by the day.

- Hard to afford a house except in the Quebec province.

- Winters are harsh, and it affect the people. Hard to explain.

I cannot understand why someone would want to immigrate here, but hey, you wont be the first one to do so, and there are many other things I don't understand :)

Thanks for giving us that info Nemesis5.  You only ever hear the good things about a place!  I was hoping my experience in the trade would be an advantage as a lot of the jobs I've seen online require little experience.  I've been in stainless 8 years - mostly making Road milk tankers.

Things are just getting worse over here - the Government are a bunch of cowboys who run around in circles - getting nowhere fast........ and interest rates on mortgages are rocketing so many people are choosing to get reposessed now instead of paying the mortgage for another few years, yet to have it taken off them then after wasting more money!  You can buy a house for peanuts over here now (unfortunately we bought ours in the boom!)

I was hoping my experience in the trade would be of an advantage, but I've plenty of research yet to do......wouldn't mind trying to brush up on my French though!

Thanks again for the info.....it's too easy to see things through rose-tinted glasses!

JoeandEmma,

I'm afraid I'm not 'up' on the metal fabricating business, but I do hear all the time in conversations how we are terribly short on skilled trades.

If being somewhere where Irish is important to you, I suggest researching Newfoundland - they are the island that floated away from Ireland, I swear. Many have strong Irish roots (and strange canadian-irish accents), although there are few recent immigrants. Additionally,  NL is doing quite well right now with the oil trade business, I'm not sure if metal fabricating fits in there...

Personally, I prefer to pay the taxes and get on with it. It's what pays for healthcare, roads and schools. Also, as an expat, I never wanted to risk getting on the wrong side of the law (even though taxes in Norway were painful). There are quite a few tradesman who do work under the table but you will get paid less and you'll be subject to poorer working conditions (and of course it's illegal...)

Best of luck.

Sarafima,

Interesting post, and I can't help but comment :)

First let me 'translate' what ''short on skilled trades'' really means here in canada... There are plenty of experienced and skilled workers here, but we really don't want to pay them, so we prefer forming new workers with no experience, so we wont have to pay them alot, pretexting that they have no experience - with the complicity of the state that tries really hard to get young people into the trade schools to form new workers with low wages. Plus, you really can't yell and scream at a mature and experienced worker, and that takes some of the fun away of having sla... heu, employees. There are enormous amounts of skilled workers that do not practice their trade anymore because they simply wont get hired at a descent wage.

Does the healthcare, roads and schools doing well here in canada?
Did you know that taxes only purpose is to pay the interest on the dept? The salaries and infrastructures are paid for with the revenues from natural resources here in canada. Pay attention to the relation between taxes and the dept. Did you ever notice that we pay more and more and getting less and less? Taxes for services is only what they want you to believe, in order for you to continue getting shafted.

Now, lets do some maths here. And I will be generous with our government in this example, because they really take 50% of your income, depending on your revenues...

20$hr pay - 7$hr tax = 13$hr
13$hr pay - 0$hr tax = 13$hr

I guess it all depends on ones situation and frame of mind. I simply refuse to feed the pig, so my choices are easy to make because I know better.