New member, wanted to say hi and after advice really!

Hi everybody, I'm Dan, new member here, I have been anticipating buying a house in Bulgaria for around 4-5 years really however with brexit coming up and the possible implications it may cause doing so, I'm sort of thinking it's now or never really!

I Very much like the thought of moving there in the future, however I'd like to save for a big move, I'm still fairly young at 27 and have a partner and two children under 3 so I think going over for 3-4 months of the year for a start, and see where it takes us!

I wanted to know where the best places in Bulgaria for being semi out the way but within a resonable drive of the airport, I quite like riding trails or a scrambler so I'd like to pick up ideally somewhere that's not going to cost the earth, nice sized house that needs renovation work and has a nice bit of land.

Is it best to come out and look for the best deal in person or are the prices on the net resonable as I hate the thought of paying well over top of i don't need too!

Cheers
Dan

Hi Dan,

there are great areas in Bulgaria for different type of people and experiences. If you want to be very close to the most lively area you should buy a house around Sofia or Plovdiv and you will also be close to the airports, good hospitals, a lot of english speaking people, shopping centres and almost everything you are used to normally. There are also good job opportunities for a lot of foreigners and good schools. There are properties with reasonable prices in the Svoge area near Sofia, I can't advice for Plovdiv unfortunately.

If you are looking for more relaxed and more outdoor lifestyle with a nice town closely, the Veliko Tyrnovo area is one of the best for expats. There are really a lot of foreigners, the  town is also a tourist location, no heavy industry around and the prices in the villages around are quite cheap. You only need to be careful about the village you choose(stay away from villages full of gypsies for sure) and the location(we get a lot of snow in winter). Nearest airports are on a 3 hour drive and there aren't any plans for a closer one unfortunately, I'm not sure whether this is ok for you.

I spend my time between Sofia and Veliko Tyrnovo and if you are not interested in job opportunities, good schools and hospitals and 3 hour drive is acceptable, then the Veliko Tyrnovo area is the better choice.

It is always best to come and see the property and the village in person, as online ads may be misleading, but you can get a good idea on the prices from the online offers, most of the properties are listed(you can send me a message, if you want to list for you some of the top local real estate websites, as I'm not sure whether it is allowed to add them here), but I strongly advise you to come and feel the location and the village before you buy a house and also talk to some other expats in the area to get their opinion on the location.

Good luck!

I would definitely caution to see the house in person. We were looking at one ad for a beautiful place- looked impeccable for 85,000 euro... we drove past it one day (we are renting currently) and the place was in disrepair and there was a tree through the roof- they had used photos from just after it was completed, which was over a decade ago. Two years later, they are still listing that house at that price, obviously waiting for foreigners to buy it without checking it.

I would suggest if you can come for 3-4 months this year, then rent in an area you might like and check out the surrounding areas.

We live in Gabrovo and I like it, but honestly if I had a do-over I might choose Plovdiv. It is a more artsy/liberal area of Bulgaria. It is also close to the rhadopes for rock climbing, mountain biking etc.

The Vratsa area has some good areas for rock climbing and is fairly close to sofia, but the infrastructure is rather poor. 

I don't like the seaside because in my experience there were too many people waiting to take advantage of foreigners since there are so many tourists. I always felt on guard when I lived in Varna.

But it is really what you want/need. For us, Gabrovo checks all of the boxes for things we need while living full-time with two kids (3 years and 4 months) but its hospital is pitiful. Unless it is a life and death emergency we drive to Tryavna or Veliko Turnovo for hospital care.

Anyway- definitely try to come long-term and check out a few areas.

I agree with the 2 last posts, I bought 2 properties about 4 or 5 years ago both from just online pictures I looked at the costs and hoped the risk was quite low, it is not exactly something I'd advise or encourage to anyone, but I got lucky with 1 house I kept it and renovated the house it is kind of ongoing, but its a nice sized family house with land, and countryside views a little bit out in the sticks but that appealed to me, but the other house I had I cancelled being too small, in the wrong area for me etc....both sale's was through agents both on monthly payments so it was quite easy, and although I lost the deposit and 3 months payments I was not left with an unwanted house.
I learnt from this that it was important to look at the area and options available to you and your family, I am near to a city in Ruse have a house in the country and can get to the coast in 90 minutes obviously there are many areas that will appeal, over the years I have holidayed and visited various parts of the country liking some more than others.
The bigger picture would be a safe area, with potential for regular work for you/partner and a mix of places to socialize, cafes, bars etc... you don't want to be too isolated, look at future schools for your children, by staying in the country for 4 months you should get a decent idea of the day to day culture and potential way of life etc....
Then it is up to to decide,
I wish you well in your search and hope you find something that you can enjoy for the future with your family.
(feel free to personal message me for any other info?)
Cheers Steve.

Hi all,
thanks for all your replys and will certainly message you for advice, I have seen, and Steve I have seen the same sort of deal that you describe you pay a deposit and pay the monthly payments then once all paid it gets signed over,- that is the sort of deal I will go for as we will pay for it with surplus wages and save, however thanks to your replies I will be a more dubious and check it out first, I have seen a property in polski senovets (I don't know if you chaps have any knowledge on the area?) that's quite pleasing on the eye but I think I'd like to go over and explore the area as well as some other areas!
Cheers
Dan

I had to look up the area on the map ha-ha I am not too far from there, there's a forum member who comes from Gabrovo I expect they'll know this area better and will offer some more advice for you..
I am visiting Bulgaria in August and stayed in the neighboring town of Lovech and will be staying again for 4 days there. (At least in this location you have Veliko Tarnovo sought after and popular with ex-pats too, which will also offer future job prospects, plenty to see and do there etc....)
I did the payment scheme over 36 months and honestly thought on the 35 month it'd go pear shaped but that's just my own suspicious mind, all was good, renovations went along with the monthly payments like yourself from any spare money from my wages, good luck with it all.
Regards Steve.

Cheers for the advice Steve, I'm glad that somebody else has gone down that route, and yes I bet as I think I will more than likely feel the same on the last payment, I'm glad that it's all worked out well it's give me even more fire in my belly!
I just know now that for the first time in my life I need to refrain and don't just jump in head first with the first thing I see!
Cheers
Dan

Hey no worries, I like the fire in your belly too, whenever I drive to the house from the airport I hit a corner about 5 mile from the house that overlooks farm land, fields and natural beauty I'm always so happy to see it, I never tire from this view, it always feels like I'm coming home. (3 years of paying a house in Bulgaria now mortgage free v another 20+ years of my UK mortgage) it's a no brain'er well to me it is, not everyone shares my enthusiasm!  :unsure
So get out there have a good luck around, the weathers going to be very nice, sunny with a slight wind is always a welcome, cheap lager and fantastic food even better haha!! (Sundays are slower than you'll imagine in village life, even towns get a little sleepy, as you've not yet experienced this it'll be quite a surprise, just one of many but have a look about and importantly enjoy it.)
But my life's better for experiencing Bulgaria!  :one

Morning Appsfamily / everyone

Im so glad to read postings like this....as i am on the verge of getting serious about buying in Bulgaria too. im a 49yr old nurse looking forward to retirement in about 5yrs, and with a small pot of cash opened up to me it allows me to begin to take small steps in pursuit of what will initially be a holiday home for us, and eventual permanent home.
ive never been over to Bg yet, but hoping i can get time off work in september to come over for a week, maybe view some houses, meet some expats and work out who the best agents and builders are. to say im getting excited is an understatement, but like yourself, i want to be very cautious and not buy before i have seen. i was also considering maybe a buy monthly option and glad to see others have done this.