Degree Attestation and Mode of Study

Hello;

Here is the situation:

I am an ESL teacher from Canada who is currently living abroad in Thailand. I have recently accepted a fantastic university teaching position in Saudi Arabia however I have been experiencing some unforeseen problems regarding degree attestation.

I have both a BA and an MA degree issued from Thompson Rivers University and Athabasca University respectively. My BA was partially completed through distance education since I finished somewhat later in my life and had to continue working while finishing it. My MA was entirely acquired on-line via distance education. However that said, It should be noted that Athabasca University is an internationally accredited university and AU is a publicly funded post-secondary institution, one of four public comprehensive universities in the Province of Alberta, Canada. In other words, It's reputation is not under question.

Now, I'm aware that the Saudi Cultural Bureau is one of two locations I must send my degree for attestation if I am to acquire the Saudi Arabian employment visa. However, I wrote to them directly and asked about the state of my Athabasca degree and I was sure to mention the accreditation of the university in my note.

However, this is what they had to say;

''Dear Jessica,

Thank you for contacting the Saudi Arabian Cultural Bureau.

We regret to inform you that due to the mode of study, your degree from Athabasca University will not be attested by the Cultural Bureau. If you have obtained other degrees from other Canadian  Institutions with a Full time, on campus mode of study you are welcome to submit them for attestation.

Should you require further assistance do not hesitate to contact me.
Thank you for your understanding."

Needless to say I am very dismayed by this turn of invents. I am alarmed that the Saudi Bureau remains unwilling to consider the specifics of the granting universities and that I am being clearly penalized for the mode of study alone! This would never knowing be allowed in Canada and yet this is a Canadian KSA Bureau making such a statement. Can they even do this legally? If the degree is a valid degree from a valid institution; aren't they obligated to attest it provided all documents are submitted? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is not just my problem but a potential problem for anyone with a degree which includes any online credits. Thanks in advance.

Hey Jessica,

That is unfortunate indeed. Saudi Cultural bureau attests degrees which are approved by MOHE (I believe) Ministry of Higher Education or just MOE. So unfortunately the university which you listed is not part of it.

There are very few distant education degrees that KSA approves of, such as from Leicester.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I don't know about MOHE (or MOE) is this just a UK, or an Indian group (I ask this because when I typed it into the computer that's what came up first)? I am not sure if we have the same in Canada. However my university (Athabasca) is:

accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104. (267-284-5000). The Middle States Commission on Higher Education is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. Plus it is a publicly funded post-secondary institution, one of four public comprehensive universities in the Province of Alberta, Canada.

But my current issue is that (at least in Canada) they seem to be blanket denying the university based on mode of learning rather than looking at the specifics of any individual institution.

lol @ MOHE / MOE being indian, perhaps if you entered Saudi Arabia after those it would come up, but again all those websites are mostly in Arabic.

If MOHE/MOE Saudi Arabia feels that it's not accredited, then Saudi Cultural Bureau will not attest it regardless of the distinction. (Welcome to Saudi Arabia)

I suffered the same as I was pursuing my MBA from a well recognized university in UK.

The idea that brick-and-mortar institutions are automatically superior to their online counterparts is ludicrous; more and more education is being completed online every year. But the authorities who have thwarted you won't discuss or modify their views: there is nothing you can do about that. I suggest either remaining in Thailand or seeking a position in another country.

To hamudi:

Thanks again for the feedback. After receiving your note, I checked and found MOHE through SACB in the USA which also lists Canadian schools (I guess we are too small of a nation to have our own MOHE). Even though it is in Arabic I found a way to check the names of schools there and you are correct that Athabasca was not among them. However Thompson Rivers University is and I have now resorted to attempting attestation of my BA from there. This means a significant pay cut since my school pays more for those with MA degrees however the salary increase from Thailand is still worth it. However, I still have several courses (though certainly less than half) from my BA which were obtained online. My current issue seems to be whether or not I can this degree approved because of the mode of study for part of the degree or specifically what percentage of online credits are allowed for the degree to still be considered an in-class vs. distance degree. My questions are pending with a contact at the Saudi Cultural Bureau in Ottawa.

To Maestro67

I agree with you on the ridiculousness of the entire situation. I'm not giving up hope yet though. I am now attempting to get my BA attested but it also has some online courses associated with it. So we'll see. Maybe I will just go back to Canada and get a MA TESOL in class (it only takes about a year). I don't have any real interest in staying in Thailand though but perhaps another nation if this doesn't work out. Cheers. J.

jessiesilver wrote:

To hamudi:

Thanks again for the feedback. After receiving your note, I checked and found MOHE through SACB in the USA which also lists Canadian schools (I guess we are too small of a nation to have our own MOHE). Even though it is in Arabic I found a way to check the names of schools there and you are correct that Athabasca was not among them. However Thompson Rivers University is and I have now resorted to attempting attestation of my BA from there. This means a significant pay cut since my school pays more for those with MA degrees however the salary increase from Thailand is still worth it. However, I still have several courses (though certainly less than half) from my BA which were obtained online. My current issue seems to be whether or not I can this degree approved because of the mode of study for part of the degree or specifically what percentage of online credits are allowed for the degree to still be considered an in-class vs. distance degree. My questions are pending with a contact at the Saudi Cultural Bureau in Ottawa.

Great, glad you found a way.

All the best.

Hi Jessie,

I have noticed in the tread that you were trying to get the Canada degree (distance learning) attestation. Can you please advise whether you manage to get the attestation for Saudi or not. Currently, I am in the same situation. Please share your experience. Thanks in advance.

@hamudi Dear Hamudi,

Are you stating that KSA would accept MSc distance learning degrees from the University of Leicester?

I am in the final stages of the above mentioned and seeking clarity on this matter as I have heard similar in the past, but unfortunately can't find the same in writing anywhere.

Many Thanks for any assistance,

Dear John,

Welcome to expat.com!

Unfortunately, this discussion has remained inactive since 2020. Due to less visibility, it is highly unlikely that you will receive any response there.

I invite you to create a new discussion on the Riyadh forum.

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team