Insurance requires EU driver licence

Hi,
as Turkish citizen, non EU member,
I recently tried to buy car, buy car dealer ask for car insurance which requires EU driver licence.
They dont accept Turkish/International driver licence as valid.
Insurance companies asking for getting EU driver licence.
As it sounds silly as application, I have to wait one year to get driver licence and get insurance then I can buy car !!!
is there a solution for this.

This is what the Malta transport say....

Exchanging your foreign Driving Licence

Any person holding a licence issued outside Malta and the European Union shall be entitled to drive in Malta for a period not exceeding twelve months from the date of his last entry into Malta.

Try another insurance company.

Terry

it is more complicated then topic actually,
I bough a car, paid deposit, to register car you need car insurance required, which I saw on papers.
to get insurance, only eu driver licence required as I have been to couple of big insurance guys and been to small brokers all rejected, reason get a eu driver licence.
I am stuck with problem, eu driver licence takes more than 2months in malta bureaucracy conditions.

keremsah,

Can you insure the car under a girlfriend/friend of anyone who is an EU national, then you can drive the car?  Maybe you can be put on as a driver, in which case i dont think it matters which license you have as long as its valid (12 months like tearnet said)?

Thats an option?  Or rent a car for 12 months until you get your own driving license?

thanks, we applying for Malta / EU driver licence in this mean time to take right steps.