How to make friends in Taipei

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in Taipei :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Taipei??

Thanks in advance for your participation

Well for one, I signed up on this site so I can meet English speaking people who live in Taipei. Also to get advice, find out about job opportunities if possible. I only hope to learn as much as my brain can handle to help prepare me for a great time living in Taiwan!

I am a member of a sports club in Taipei, which is for both locals and expats, separate mens and ladies teams, all nationalities, and all sports levels from beginners and up.

It's a great way to meet some new friends, and definitely a good idea to get involved in some sports when you move to Taiwan; because working life here can be hectic. Also it's a good opportunity to be able to just sit down for a few beers once in a while :)

website is here:TaiwanCelts website

And you can email the club here to be put on the mailing list for the monthly newsletter... Club Email

:)

Take a Mandarin course is a good way to meet up with both locals and expats. You are likely to find some of your classmaes are English speaking people. Besides, your teacher will likely be local and you probably meet other locals who are there to attend other language courses.

NTNU and NTU language center are two famous places for lanugage learning.

I think the best way to make friends in Taipei (as a foreigner) would be to study Chinese in a class.

2. approach other foreigners - most are not tourists and probably others are lonely and ask where they go out.

3. Tealit.org for personals. easy to make taiwanese friends and then network through facebook.

4. Facebook, Taiwanese culture says its OK to find and make new friends on Facebook - but be aware of language barriers with the  locals.