No help from employer - hope I can get some here !

Ciao tutti,

After working for one of the biggest Italian Banks for too many years to mention, I've finally decided to relocate to Milan from London.

CODICE FISCALE
I tried to get a codice fiscale from the Italian Consulate but they got it wrong and issued one for someone born in the Ireland and not in UK. This was picked up when I tried to open a bank account. We calculated the correct code and used that and are still waiting for the consulate to correct their mistake and send me a card with the correct CF. It seems that the CF is more important that the NI number here?

I also need one for my wife and daughter but I'm unsure how to proceed as my wife has her passport in her maiden Polish name but uses her married name. She wants to get the passport changed but thats quite complicated. I wonder if she can just apply in London for the CF in the married name and then include the UK marriage certificate?

Residence.

So we'll live here for 8 years and will need a car, house, schooling etc. So far we didn't spend much time in Italy this year but its obvious that we need to apply for residency.

I read from the UK foreign office (FCO) website that the permit to stay is no longer required but that within 3 months I should apply for residency.

Do you think I could just complete the following

comuni.it/autocertificazione/certificati/residenza.htm

And then get it stamped. If so, where in Milan would I take it and do I really need to get there at 7am? Also how much should I pay.

Driving.
Last question (for now at least). Getting my full UK driving license transferred to an Italian one. How? Where? And is there any way I can transfer my 60% no claims discount from the UK or is it a case of starting from scratch in Italy?

Thanks a million in advance. I know there will be may other questions coming and have tried to search the forum but maybe didnt phrase the search properly.

Cheers.

Kev.

Hi Kev,

Me and the family got a "D4 Mission" type visa. Without that my baby was not allowed to join the local school.

RE:license, I still have not done that.  Would really like to know how your accomplished that.

Cheers

Hi Kev - driving first.
Bad news, I'm afraid.  They don't recognise your 60% no claims.  You'll be starting from scratch.  It's called a Bonus Malus here and you'll start on 13 (not the highest but nearly).
Why do you want to get an Italian Driving Licence?  As long as you have an address in the UK you can use your UK driving licence here without any problem.  It's an EU rule, apparently.  To get it changed you will have to be able to speak and write Italian (so I have heard).
With regards to your Wife.  She ought to get her documentation based on her passport - otherwise it will make everything so much more difficult here.  Until she gets an identity card (if she gets one), she will have to use her passport for many, many things and having a different name to the passport will be a nightmare.  Because it's all so difficult to change things later, most married women keep their maiden name when they get married anyway, so she'll fit right in.
With regard to the Codice Fiscale - it is the equivalent of our NI - except that it is used for a million and one other things - virtually every time you make a reasonably sized financial transaction (like signing a lease on a flat, getting a mobile phone, a car, etc.).  I wouldn't bother with trying to get them to change it - just get a brand new one.  Even better is to do it yourself, here.  It takes about an hour to get the piece of paper - but you have to have an address in Italy for them to send the plastic card to.

Good luck.
Andy

Hi Andy,

Sorry for the late reply - and thanks for all the info.

Shame about the NCB but I was kind of expecting it. I only hoped that somone like directline might be able to handle it but thats life.

Looks like motoring is going to be much more expensive in Italy. Even finding the same car that I sold in the UK for £15k (2006 X5) is going to cost me about £24k in Italy (or Germany).

Would be lovely if I could indefinately use my UK license and avoid any potential points from their wonderful Tutor system (till the EU start to collaborate), but I've got a feeling that the boys in Blue might be wise to this if it turns out the car is registered to me in Italy. Do you reckon?

For he wifes Codice fiscale we've decided to get her passport changed rather than mess around later changing the cf. This way I can easily calculate it with 100% certainty as She has a Polish/English combination of names which should already be rare even without the DOB making it more unique.

But I'm confused about what I need to do to become a Citizen. There's a kind of autocertification that I can do but will this be good enough to buy a car in Italy? Can you rmember what documents exactly I need to buy a motor? Its driving me mad (and broke) hiring a car for £300 a week when I'm there.

Thanks again for the advice so far.

Cheers,

Kev.

Well, the boys in blue should know it's OK and I've never had any problems here ..... so far.  I always use my very best English when talking to policemen :-P

I bought my car from a garage - for the very reason you're talking about.  They did all the paperwork and got it all approved by the Notaio (spelling?).  I had a 'residence letter' but for the wrong address.  The garage did the autocertification document as well which said something like 'I live at the Via xxxx'.  I needed the codice fiscale, of course, but that was it.  If I remember well, it took a couple of weeks to sort out.  I certainly didn't have to have a Carta d'Identita'.  My advice would be to go to a garage.  they are quite keen to help when they know you will be buying from them :-).  You may not even need to have a residence document.  Maybe a lease would be enough.

BTW, I went to a garage because I had read, some years back, about a guy who bought a car here on 'the promise' to the garage that he would get his residency sorted out later!  Really, I think it's your best bet.  And be stubborn if they start telling you you can't do it.  It's one of the reasons I love it here.  the rules are a pain but they are also somewhat 'fluid'.