Naturalisation and citizenship in the USA

Hello everyone,

What are the requirements for acquiring citizenship in the USA? For example, length of residence, language requirements, employment etc..

What formalities are involved in the process?

What is the policy on dual-citizenship in the USA? Do you have to give up your former nationality?

What are the advantages and benefits of acquiring American citizenship, in your opinion?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

I became a naturalized citizen many decades ago so the rules may not be the same.

The rules at the time were 5 years of permanent residency (green card), financial sufficiency (steady employment), and fluency in the language to pass a written test and an oral interview. The written test focused on the Constitution, system of government, and American history. In the oral interview, I was asked the names of my state's governor, senator, and representative.

Some people were asked whether they knew the lyrics of the National Anthem. I wasn't, although I was ready to belt out the high F note (it would have been a scary scene if I had to do so.) In addition, I was asked to renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to my former sovereignty, to swear allegiance to the American flag, and to promise to lay down my life for my new country.

My spouse who became a citizen as a youth didn't have to do *any* of that and also never had to give up his native citizenship.

The benefit of acquiring American citizenship? To me, it's a natural process. I've always seen and felt myself as an American so making that feeling a reality was nothing extraordinary, at least not to me. An American passport also made life easier for me since I've always travelled a great deal. A benefit that I didn't pay attention to at the time was the level of security clearance I received with one employer, which wouldn't have happened were I not a citizen.

Hi,
The best way to get into USA is through DV lottery program. Google DV lottery for more info.
Si to lucky to cpv get selected parceki mauritian pas tros au caurant d sa program la. try your luck my dear.

If you are lucky, you might be selected. Mauritians are not well aware of this program.

It is pretty straight forward. Uscis.gov walks you through the process soup to nuts; forms to fees.

Hi Ciambella, Iswar and twostep,

Thank you for your feedbacks, very much appreciated.

:)
Bhavna

The benefits if American Citizenship is that you get to be apart of and have access to the resources to arguably the greatest country in the world. That's the overall benefit.

I've had my indefinite green card 30 years, which means I don't have to change it  every five years. Citizenship no real advantage to me unless I wanted to vote , work for the government or be a cop.
I still get the same rights as everyone else.
However if you are young you might want a government job, work for the FBI etc, and you'll save yourself a lot of money not having to renew your green card every five years .

I became a citizen in 2013. Very happy!

shaunmc01 wrote:

The benefits of American Citizenship is that you get to be apart of and have access to the resources of arguably the greatest country in the world. That's really the overall benefit.

Hello Bhavna ,

I am a naturalized US citizen ( you can keep dual citizenship based on your country of birth). As an  American Citizen , one gets access to Medicare and other Social Benefits which are not easily accessible to green cards holders .
As a US citizen , you can freely travel in and out of United States which you cannot do as a green card holder ( green card holder need to stay in US for a minimum of 6 months yearly in -order  to keep the permanent residence).
Check US Citizenship requirement on google .