Naturalisation and citizenship in Saudi Arabia

Hello everyone,

What are the requirements for acquiring citizenship in Saudi Arabia? For example, length of residence, language requirements, employment etc..

What formalities are involved in the process?

What is the policy on dual-citizenship in Saudi Arabia? Do you have to give up your former nationality?

What are the advantages and benefits of acquiring Saudi citizenship, in your opinion?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

It's almost impossible unless you got a Ph.D and have lived in Saudi for 10 years (13+10) = 23 Points .

Sadly the govt has placed a harsh point system to get nationality .

There's no difference between me , born and living in Saudi from 23 years & a foreigner who just came to work yesterday :D

Welcome to Saudi Arabia .

Total How Many Points Require For Getting Nationality ?
& Whats The Procedure ?

Let Suppose . I Have a PHD Degree and I Am About To Live 11 Years In Kingdom. I Have A Daughter Born Here.

Then Whats The Procedure To Get a Nationality.

Its rare you see someone takes a citizenship in Saudi Arabia.
Yes there are few people who have dual citizenships.But they should be highly qualified for example a doctorate or something.Also at the same time if Saudi Arabia wants you to stay here and if there is a benifit for the country from you, Then only you can get a citizenship. In short if the country wants you there are chances of getting  a citizenship.
Very rare......

You cannot acquire citizenship in Saudi Arabia, you work on an iqama until the time comes when you are no longer needed. Then you final exit.

Well, it is mission impassible!

For example, I'm an Arabic Sunny Muslim living in KSA close to 1/2 century (About 47 years never been in my original country since then) and highly qualified and experienced person on high tech field [B. Sc. degree on double majors with different certifications - Consultant with 37 years of different typed of high tech experiences], with 4 doctors kids and highly qualified wife on science field, and extremely loyal to KSA, but were never able to get the Saudi citizenship. I married in KSA from a lady of my original country and ALL my kids borne and educated in KSA.

Actually, it is not who you are, but it is whom do you know, and not anyone!

The approval for Saudi Citizen is on the hand of the King only.

By the way, I'm from the same Arabic Tribe of the Saudi Royal family (E'aniza)!

But, even though, I and my family love and loyal to KSA. It is the only country we know! My elder sister and my father in law are buried there.

Regards,

That's very interesting N, thank you for that honest insight . It just confirms my comment initially. We are expats from UK working here for almost 8 years and have seen many people come and go :-)

Hi,

It is quite difficult to get/apply for Saudi Nationality
they are planning to start it but it will be for very high professionals and professors ... etc.

It is the toughest process to become a saudi national

Regards
Yousaf

Hi,
Adding to what people said up there, even sons and daughters born from Saudi mother don't get nationality by birth.

I am the wife of a Saudi, lived here almost 11 years. They stopped giving wives of Saudis citizenship a couple of years ago. Instead, they gave us permanent residency  (like a green card in America). My sister-in-law has 3 daughters but they can't have Saudi citizenship because their father is a non-Saudi.

I'm an American citizen married to a Saudi. Should I choose to have dual citizenship, I would lose the right to walk through immigration without my husband's permission to leave the country. That's the reason I do not want a Saudi passport.

Who in their right mind would like to be the citizen of KSA ?
... unless of-course you belong to a third world country.

as Martin said in his original post:

"You cannot acquire citizenship in Saudi Arabia, you work on an iqama until the time comes when you are no longer needed. Then you final exit. "

true but a harsh reality !

As I know you can not get the saudi passport even if you are marry with a saudi, is it #SoTakehara-Bawarith??

There is no such thing as acquiring citizenship in Saudi Arabia as I was born there and lived there all my life. There is not even any kind of special status for people born in Saudi Arabia, you get treated exactly the same as any other foreigner or expat that has just entered the company. Now that I left Saudi Arabia, I can never come back as if I never lived there unless I find a job that sends for me and brings me to Saudi Arabia.
Living now in Canada, I'm in the process of becoming a permanent resident after only being here under a year so WOW, what a difference!

If you are an expat you cannot become a Saudi citizen

Don't worry...So Takehara Bawarith...they don't give Saudi wives the citizenship anymore  :lol:

Alright ,

Let me make it clear .
Who said citizenship is impossible in Saudi ?

It is possible , you need to gain 23 points to apply for nationality .

I know handful number of professionals who got it , rule is simple , get 23 points , you can apply for nationality .

A doctor I know , Indian , got the nationality as he had a Ph.d

My dad worked in the Royal Saudi Air Defense for 30+ years , when he applied they didn't even take the application as he had just a Bachelors Degree , even though he played a part in the 91 Gulf War :)

For a complete info , Saudi Nationality System

P.S

If anyone is interested to read my article on Saudi Gazette regarding this issue  :D

Co-Written .
An expat's optimism for the Kingdom

If I got citizenship  in saudiarabia I will be Lucy. I desparetly  want saudi citizenship. First of all I bring my family here and start my won business.Than I will buy properry here.But I think it is only a dream never come true.

Hi, I recently moved with my parents and siblings to Saudi Arabia, and its amazing though you cant be a full citizen unless you are a Saudi Arabian and you cant buy property unless your a citizen so that makes two down. But if you know anyone down here in Saudi Arabia you can negotiate with them and see if they can put it under their name.

Hey, what about my uncle though, hes been living in Saudi Arabia for 30 years and he hasn't acquired any type of citizenship. I'm currently living in Saudi now I'm sure the cause wont change

gunner757 wrote:

Alright ,

Let me make it clear .
Who said citizenship is impossible in Saudi ?

It is possible , you need to gain 23 points to apply for nationality .

I know handful number of professionals who got it , rule is simple , get 23 points , you can apply for nationality .

A doctor I know , Indian , got the nationality as he had a Ph.d

My dad worked in the Royal Saudi Air Defense for 30+ years , when he applied they didn't even take the application as he had just a Bachelors Degree , even though he played a part in the 91 Gulf War :)

For a complete info , Saudi Nationality System

So you are telling thousands that just because you know one success case it is possible.  :o

Well, it is possible for an expat to own a house under his name! But, there are two things you need to know:

1. You need to got a permission from Ministry of Interior after you apply through the Municipality of the province you want to buy the property in. This permission may take up to 2 years, but not guaranteed.

2, You can have the house only if occupy it yourself, you cannot just sell it later on. But, if you decide to sell it at any time, you will be taxed for 20% of the selling value of your house.

Regarding scoring system for getting Saudi citizenship, I don't recall anyone got the citizenship through that system. However, any expat got the Saudi citizenship he MUST got it by the King permission directly or through an extremely big shout person!

I honestly advice those who want to change their citizenship, to save their time, money, and efforts and apply for a non-GCC citizenship. This is the advice I'm providing for my 4 doctors kids.

If you can gain 23 points, where 13 of them for your PHD in Medicine or Engineering, you don't need to have Saudi citizenship, because you will easily can get the citizenship of any western country. Then, you can comeback to KSA to get double or triple of your current pay! This is if your objective is money.

Buy the way, even if you get 23 points, there is no guarantee you will get the Saudi citizenship! You NEED to get the King's approval. However, King's approval doesn't really require any points, just if he get convinced of you!

I lol at this thread...23 points lololololol

Abuwaqqas wrote:

Well, it is mission impassible!

For example, I'm an Arabic Sunny Muslim living in KSA close to 1/2 century (About 47 years never been in my original country since then) and highly qualified and experienced person on high tech field [B. Sc. degree on double majors with different certifications - Consultant with 37 years of different typed of high tech experiences], with 4 doctors kids and highly qualified wife on science field, and extremely loyal to KSA, but were never able to get the Saudi citizenship. I married in KSA from a lady of my original country and ALL my kids borne and educated in KSA.

Actually, it is not who you are, but it is whom do you know, and not anyone!

The approval for Saudi Citizen is on the hand of the King only.

By the way, I'm from the same Arabic Tribe of the Saudi Royal family (E'aniza)!

But, even though, I and my family love and loyal to KSA. It is the only country we know! My elder sister and my father in law are buried there.

Regards,

yea, king is gonna be like "soooo let's see....this guy with 37 years of experience and spelling mistakes like a 2nd grader...should I grant him nationality *sips gahwa*....."

Abuwaqqas wrote:

If you can gain 23 points, where 13 of them for your PHD in Medicine or Engineering, you don't need to have Saudi citizenship, because you will easily can get the citizenship of any western country. Then, you can comeback to KSA to get double or triple of your current pay! This is if your objective is money.

Buy the way, even if you get 23 points, there is no guarantee you will get the Saudi citizenship! You NEED to get the King's approval. However, King's approval doesn't really require any points, just if he get convinced of you!

Exactly , why would anyone stay in Saudi if having these many points .
To be honest the nationality system is like climbing Mount Everest .

Getting nationality in other GCC is impossible , except Oman and beloved Bahrain .

I would say it is not easy subject. You need to see the what benefits you get if are looking for saudi citizenship.

you don't gotta be so cruel. He knows more knowledge than you and you  should consider it. Maybe you will need his dad one day loool....

Need money only

They are planning to send Dr.

I have several American friends who have both passports. You are allowed both. But you do require your husband's permission to leave the country if you have the Saudi passport as you check through immigration with your Saudi.  I'm just too stubborn and old.

@So Takehara-Bawarith...I have American friends that have Saudi nationality given prior to 2015-2016. Those that had pending applications during that time had their process stopped because the government instituted the new rule of giving non-Saudi wives of Saudis permanent residence visas only in lieu of citizenship. Americans can have dual nationality...Saudis can't. That is why Saudi-Americans must be careful when leaving Saudi Arabia; they must show their Saudi passport to leave/return and not the American passport.

Bawarith eh....welcome to the family...

From what i have observed, many post seem to reveal a similar point, that Saudi Arabia is one of those Countries with harshest policies on granting Citizenships, no matter how Highly Qualified an individual may be.
However, i have been in South Africa for more than 14 years and had more than 2 to 3  work permits that never granted me some room to Qualify for applying for a Citizenship.Although i hold a Masters in Architecture Degree and have done massive Projects for the State as part of my contribution towards infrastructure  development, "Citizenship"  has long seized  to become part of my dreams,and it will never come true.
As with Saudi,i am afraid, the path may be similar & the rest of the world too.