Naturalisation and citizenship in the Philippines

Hello everyone,

What are the requirements for acquiring citizenship in the Philippines? For example, length of residence, language requirements, employment etc..

What formalities are involved in the process?

What is the policy on dual-citizenship in the Philippines? Do you have to give up your former nationality?

What are the advantages and benefits of acquiring Filipino citizenship, in your opinion?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

The process is a broad topic. The requirements depend on your circumstances. Three most important benefits though in acquiring citizenship: (1) You can live in the Philippines without the hassle of applying or renewing your visa, (2) you can run for office and (3) you are not bound to limitations in business.

Hope this helps. :)

Bhavna wrote:

Hello everyone,

What are the requirements for acquiring citizenship in the Philippines? For example, length of residence, language requirements, employment etc..

What formalities are involved in the process?

What is the policy on dual-citizenship in the Philippines? Do you have to give up your former nationality?

What are the advantages and benefits of acquiring Filipino citizenship, in your opinion?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

This is for pure foreigners:

Lenght of Residence- 5 years (married/family) 10 years(unmarried/family)

Application letter to court, Language Test, act of congress

Dual citizenship is possible (Philippines) your former nation you gotta find out yourself.
Note- No country in the world actually do care what happens OUTSIDE of their borders, they also have no jurisdiction (except maybe the USA which believes it has :-) , but hasn't ) ... so- if you have a Filipino PP and still hold your original one, it is none of their business. Or vice versa.
One example valid for German nationals - you acquire Filipino CS, then you have to revoke your German one, which is done at the embassy by a form to be filled out. After having got your pinoy passport you buy some land in the Philippines. Then you walk back into the same embassy and tell them you want to become German again, but can not revoke your Filipino citizenship because then you would loose your land titles. Then you get a dual citizenship. The Germans will not ask you to revoke your Filipino citizenship, nor will they inform any authorities about you becoming a German again,- see before- so you still got your Pinoy Citizenship.   - Afraid that you can not become a citizen of your former country again ? Well, read your rights of repatriation!

Advantages ? Well, you are a Filipino then...

As said before- the topic is extremely complex and there is no fitting answer for everybody.

I been living in the Philippines for 7 years and I am sick of doing the ridiculous process of the yearly report at the immigration office. Even changing the address is a bureaucracy masterpiece. I am married to a Filipina so being here in the Philippines more than 5 years allows me to apply for naturalization. Others can apply after 10 years. There are no tagalog language skills needed. As long as you know english or spanish (!) you can apply for naturalization. The only reason why I did not apply yet is financial. To apply for naturalization you need to naturalization lawyer and file at court. And this is not cheap, as you can imagine. Giving up my German nationality wouldn't be a problem for me.

The only way that naturalization would benefit me would be have my UK gov pensions arrive tax free in the Philippines.  Since the Uk accept dual citizenship I'm not sure whether there tax office would give me the tax-free facilities if went down that road.

Good day.
To be very honest, i didn't knew that foreigners can have Philippines nationality. Only here i read it.
Do anyone here already got his new Philippines passport aside from his original one? Please let me know

Baleze

Yes I have dual citizenship PP and USA PP. I come and go in  out of both countries as I choose. The fact that I can participate in both cultures is a big plus as I move between both frequently. Because my Father is Filipino I was allowed to aquire Philippine citizenship.