Naturalisation and citizenship in Nepal

Hello everyone,

What are the requirements for acquiring citizenship in Nepal? For example, length of residence, language requirements, employment etc..

What formalities are involved in the process?

What is the policy on dual-citizenship in Nepal? Do you have to give up your former nationality?

What are the advantages and benefits of acquiring Nepalese citizenship, in your opinion?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

There is no duel citizenship option yet. They are talking about it, and have been for years, but not yet. If a person gets married to a Nepali and the Nepali dies the surviving spouse has 5 years to get citizenship or figure out another visa option.

Who would get Nepali citizenship without dual? Nepali have to pay large sums of money and wait in line for days to get a visa to leave Nepal. I would not want to have to do that if I needed to go back for some reason, so getting citizenship doesn't seem to have a large upside.

However, when they provide the dual citizenship option I would love to get Nepali citizenship. I think a lot of Nepali from abroad could come home, too. I hope they make this change soon.

In respect to Bhavna's question about whether I have acquired and/or ever thought about acquiring citizenship in Nepal, my clear and unequivocal reply is "no", to which I hasten to add that the thought never once crossed my mind.
In turn, I ask why would a foreigner/expat who enjoys benefits and advantages derived from holding a foreign passport(s) be willing to consider giving up those benefits/advantages to become Nepalese?
The Constitution of Nepal regulates provisions for Nepalese nationality in Articles 8, 9 and 10. And under that Constitution as it stands, the law places a total prohibition on dual nationality in Nepal. The Constitution and Nepalese laws until and unless amended, do not permit anybody dual or multiple citizenships.
So, what is the process like for those expats who wish to do so....? I don't know is my honest answer.
What are the benefits of Nepalese citizenship, I pass.
Let me just point out that dual citizenship is not a new concept. Many countries in the world have this provision, notably the USA, UK, Australia, Switzerland, and over 20 countries in Africa. Some countries make no distinction between regular and/or dual citizenships.
But if Nepal is not on the list, how many foreigners/expats would be prepared to run the risk of having their foreign passport revoked and/or lose all benefits/advantages in the process?  I can't imagine there would be too many!
On the question of allowing or not allowing people of nepalese origin to have dual/multiple citizenship, the large number of so-called Non-Residents or "NRN", that is a totally different matter. I abstain to comment here. Too many "pros" and "cons" and let's be honest, the subject is too sensitive in Nepal. As a foreigner and friend of Nepal, I must pass on this one too!
Let me conclude with this general comment: over a 20 year period, I cannot start to count the number of my nepalese friends or acquaintances who told me they wanted to go the other way, namely ready and most willing to leave Nepal, go abroad (not just to work in the Gulf or middle east type of work, or to study) but sincere in their desire to "get a foreign passport" and live overseas to the extent that they can find a host foreign  country which will let them in, find work there, etc.

Been in Nepal for over two months now and intend to complete my more permanent move to this country in near future. I love the people I've met to date.
Heard about those NRN non-residents. Hard time though believing what I just read about them in the HT newspaper article, just published.  According to them, "the Nepal government made a shocking revelation that 17 nepali migrant workers are facing capital punishment in foreign countries...43 nepalis have been handed life imprisonment and more than 239 nepalis have been serving a term from one month to 50 years in prison....serving jail sentences...accused of various crimes ranging from murder to drug trafficking, human trafficking, rape, fraud..etc." all according to this same report and as detailed in that highly respected newspaper.
Not for me to judge really but yes, I too am shocked. And to read "languishing in jail of at least 32 countries"