Naturalisation and citizenship in Malta

Hello everyone,

What are the requirements for acquiring citizenship in Malta? For example, length of residence, language requirements, employment etc..

What formalities are involved in the process?

What is the policy on dual-citizenship in Malta? Do you have to give up your former nationality?

What are the advantages and benefits of acquiring Maltese citizenship, in your opinion?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

You can buy citizenship. And you can also keep your own.

Don't confuse residence status with Citizenship. Permanent residence status gives you the right to live in the country indefinitely (irrespective of the passport you use). Many foreign nationals have the right to live and work in a foreign country based on having received permanent residence status. 

Citizenship, on the other hand, describes your nationality. Changing your nationality (taking the passport of a country other than your original one) is a much more significant step than just living abroad.  Remember also that every right carries a corresponding responsibility - so if you choose to adopt the nationality of another country, you also must accept the responsibility to abide by its laws, vote in its elections, serve in its armed forces, swear allegiance to its government and take on board all the obligations that native citizens of that country accept as their birthright.

For some people, taking on a new nationality (citizenship) is the only way they can qualify for the right to reside in the country. And yes, sometimes you can do that without losing your original nationality - but not always. That depends on whether the country of your origin will permit it - or whether they will require you to give it up. And if you already have dual nationality then you can't just go around adding more nationalities to your list! There's a limit. At some point you'll have to choose to which country you will be loyal.  That's why, under normal circumstances, a reasonable period of residence in a country is a prerequisite to being granted citizenship. It shouldn't be taken lightly as a simply administrative convenience.

Dual Citizenship is not a problem for UK expats, it is allowed, but the chances of being granted Citizenship in Malta by simply applying, is very unlikely!
A lot of money and also investment in property is usually required!

donalk1981 wrote:

You can buy citizenship. And you can also keep your own.

Yeah if you have €600,000 lying around.....

I'm a brit, and I intend to apply for citizenship as soon as I am able to. Since the brexit fiasco, it will be the only way to be certain of my future rights here (and any other EU country). I certainly no longer rely on the British govt to look after its citizens abroad.

Would you think twice about applying for Maltese citizenship if it meant giving up your UK citizenship?
(I'm not suggesting that will be the case - just wondering which you would choose, IF you had to choose).  Would you give up your automatic right to live in the UK, in favour of the right to live in Malta?

For me, having dual Australian and UK citizenships, applying for Maltese citizenship would mean having to decide which one to give up.  In facing choices like that, you really have to think hard about how you define your nationality.

Auspom wrote:

Would you think twice about applying for Maltese citizenship if it meant giving up your UK citizenship?
(I'm not suggesting that will be the case - just wondering which you would choose, IF you had to choose).  Would you give up your automatic right to live in the UK, in favour of the right to live in Malta?

For me, having dual Australian and UK citizenships, applying for Maltese citizenship would mean having to decide which one to give up.  In facing choices like that, you really have to think hard about how you define your nationality.

It's different for us in the UK. Until brexit we were EU citizens. So we did not have to choose or even do anything else for citizen rights in all 28 EU countries. That will be removed in 2019. We rely on 'goodwill' from our govt and all other 27 countries for rights to property ownership, residence, work, health. It's a very bad situation.

This is the only reason I need to even think about becoming Maltese. If not for brexit, I would not need to consider the need for another passport. I cannot comment about being Australian (and what I would do) as they were never part of the EU ;) so different attitudes apply.

If I had to choose, I'd take German citizenship as am half German. But I am not entitled, as I'm too old to qualify :(

Only the wealthy can afford to become Maltese.

Precisely why I have decided to get a British passport. I already have dual Nationality (Britain and Ireland) but only have an Irish passport which I'm not prepared to relinquish but will I have to get a visa to go home to the UK after Brexit? I don't know but not taking the chance. That's why I won't get Maltese citizenship because you cannot have more than two and I already have EU Nationality with Ireland.

It is all very well saying you would like Maltese citizenship because of Brexit but your chances of getting it, unless you pay or have a Maltese parent or grandparent, are very,very slim!

Ray

Before the brexit, very few British thought of getting it, but now is something that could be very useful.

For what I have read if you don't speak and read maltese and pass a exhaustive test of knowledge of it's history and culture + prove of residence for several years here, you only can buy it(option only for rich peolpe) or marry a maltese national.

Of course if you have maltese ancesters you can also apply for it , but I suspect that practicly nobody have that possibilty.

In my case I don't see any chance of getting it if I don't marry a pretty maltese girl.

I really hope that our corrupt EU and UK politicians get some sort of agreement that makes life more or less the same that know.

Otherwise I will have to apply for my second nationality by family rights(not maltese of course) and frankly I don't like the idea one bit.

No clue
Are you planning to move there ?

kevin2424 wrote:

No clue
Are you planning to move there ?

Who are you referring to?  Your post does not make sense.

Out of curiosity, why would you have to give one up? Is this a requirement of Maltese citizenship?

I carry both NZ and UK, and as far as I can research I would have no problem adding a third - both countries allow for multiple citizenships to be held.

Re: Do I qualify to apply for naturalisation as a citizen of Malta?

Please see:

https://identitymalta.com/acquisition-o … alisation/

kiwi dan wrote:

Out of curiosity, why would you have to give one up? Is this a requirement of Maltese citizenship?

Not every country offers dual citizenship.

SimCityAT wrote:
kiwi dan wrote:

Not every country offers dual citizenship.

Actually, no country offers dual citizenship.  Some however, recognize or tolerate it. :)

romaniac wrote:

Actually, no country offers dual citizenship.  Some however, recognize or tolerate it. :)

In what way? It's officially approved and allowed by many, down to issuing paper work to individuals giving them that right.  I have such a certificate.

DUAL CITIZENSHIPS ALLOWED:

Australia, Barbados, Belgium, Bangladesh, Canada, Cyprus, United States, United Kingdom, Switzerland, South Korea, South Africa (requires permission) , Egypt(requires prior permission), Greece, France, Finland, Germany (requires prior permission), Iraq, Italy, Israel, Ireland, Hungary, Iceland, Sweden, Slovenia, Syria, Serbia, Armenia, Lebanon, Malta, Spain ( allows only with certain Latin American countries), Tonga, Philippines, Sierra Leone, Sri Lanka (by retention), Pakistan (accepts only with 16 countries), Portugal, Turkey (requires permission)

I applied for dual citizenship on the grounds of a Maltese parent and grandparents almost 2 years ago, and I'm still waiting for it. My Case Worker tells me "it's in the process", then when I ask where about in the "process "
Is it, I don't receive a proper response. "It's in chronological order, and we will let you know"." It's ridiculous!

Haha.  They probably lost your application.  I applied with all documentation which I got from a genealogist and papers from Scotland where my parents were married.  Took a few months, a few hundred euros and it arrived.  I am now a maltese citizen, living in Canada at present because of ongoing family matters but will be returning to malta soon.  If I were you I would ask where your paperwork is.  Good luck, hope it all works out in your favour.

CHKHADD wrote:

Hi! I actually went to see a Maltese lawyer last week on the topic of residence and citizenship etc as my husband and I are thinking of moving soon and we had a few questions.

We asked the attorney whether it's possible to get citizenship after living in Malta for a substantial amount of time and she said that unfortunately unless you buy citizenship or your mother/father/grandparents are Maltese you simply won't get citizenship.

You can apply but they will reject your application.

For someone in my position (British and married to non-EU) it's best just renewing the residence every year.

It was disheartening but helpful nonetheless as now we know not to waste time.

For reference we went to Chetcuti Cauchi advocates for this information.

Hope that helps!

Your eResidence card is valid for 5 years and you can then apply for 'Permanent Resident' status, though it is not really much different!

Ray