Naturalisation and citizenship in Lebanon

Hello everyone,

What are the requirements for acquiring citizenship in Lebanon? For example, length of residence, language requirements, employment etc..

What formalities are involved in the process?

What is the policy on dual-citizenship in Lebanon? Do you have to give up your former nationality?

What are the advantages and benefits of acquiring Lebanese citizenship, in your opinion?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

There is no such process (for male), as far as i know

Lebanon policy about citizenship for female who have Lebanese husband not that awful my wife she got her 3 years residencey after one month of paperwork for the government to approve the civil marriage then after 5 years they will give her Lebanese citizenship unless she have a child they would give it to her in short time. (maybe couple of months)  as for Males there are no such process as the other member have mentioned and the reason behind this is a political one.

But Lebanon policy about the foreign labors are so unjust and a little racist, they put nations in classes for example if you want to bring someone for a housemaid position there are certain countries that they accept you can bring someone from Philippine but not from Malaysia or Thailand you cannot choose which nationality can come to work and what kind of work. another example people from India and Bangladesh can come to work only as construction workers. and the resident contract length vary from 1 to 2 year as far as i know also depending on the nationality and work.

I presume it is to stop the predominantly Arab-Muslim immigrants from becoming the majority (in a sectarian sense)... in which case, what about Christian non-Arabs? I've heard of Gulf royalty getting it, can a European businessman get citizenship?

Going back in history Lebanon's religion have 3 major religions Christians, Muslim and Druz before the population was 64% Christians and the rest 36% were Muslims (including very few Druz) now things have changed as most Christians immigrated to rest of the world, if you go to wikipedia they show that 54% are Muslims and the rest are Christians but a chocking Lebanese source shows that only 29% of Lebanese Christians are still living in the country. About political positions they are still divided 50% in the parliament Lebanon is only 10k kilometer a small country with around 4 Millions Population (not including the 2.5 Millions refugee, Palestinians about 5k and Syrian about 2 Millions registered) have 128 Parliament member. But the thing is in Lebanon as long as you are a male and even married or having a resident or own house you will never get citizenship only a yearly resident there are no special treat for the non-Muslim or non-Arab people and the reason is political as i mentioned before but you can still open business as a foreigner with Lebanese partnership owning 49% of the stock business  the Lebanese Partner should not own less than 51%. Also the government have cut the immigration from the Christian-Lebanese because of the large numbers of immigrant over the years and the reason behind this is economical, Lebanon areas re divided between religion and politics but mostly religion in the Muslims area they get low labor wages but still can live an average life, in the Christian areas it is impossible to get that wage and live a decent life so you see in Lebanon many Muslims comes to the Christian areas because they can get a better salary wage (some cities are mixed) so if you planing on getting a job or opening business in Lebanon Beirut (the capital) which host the major number of population and is the most expensive and highly paid is the best choice, as the wages for foreigner (form Eu and US) are highly paid depending on the job. Financial Adviser, Engineers and doctor are highly paid Technical (IT) are average paid but most jobs (outside Beirut) are paid average. in Lebanon you need about 1500 USD to live a decent life but some people here are getting around 700$. 

Sorry to bring the religion topic it's a major topic to explain life in Lebanon. We also have around 18 official holidays (along with your 14 granted labor vacation days) to ensure every religion gets his holiday.

Alcastive wrote:

Going back in history Lebanon's religion have 3 major religions Christians, Muslim and Druz before the population was 64% Christians and the rest 36% were Muslims (including very few Druz) now things have changed as most Christians immigrated to rest of the world, if you go to wikipedia they show that 54% are Muslims and the rest are Christians but a chocking Lebanese source shows that only 29% of Lebanese Christians are still living in the country. About political positions they are still divided 50% in the parliament Lebanon is only 10k kilometer a small country with around 4 Millions Population (not including the 2.5 Millions refugee, Palestinians about 5k and Syrian about 2 Millions registered) have 128 Parliament member. But the thing is in Lebanon as long as you are a male and even married or having a resident or own house you will never get citizenship only a yearly resident

I am aware of the history of the divides, lol. I was wondering if there was a way, with wasta, to get citizenship. Recently, there was a scandal where a lot of Iraqis and Egyptians had received Lebanese citizenship, and this was done illegally, but yet still, they were citizens, had passports, etc.

Can you confirm that a Lebanese citizen must own 51% of a company? Land can be held freehold by foreigners. Why would companies need to be owned partially by a Lebanese citizen? First time I hear this...

Well since you know about Lebanon a strong wasta or bribe can get you anything because of the corruption, i never heard of this news but if it's true it's a first. About the partnership law in Lebanon and owning a business i am not 100% sure of the law that i just posted as i heard it from people talking about this, so it could be an old law or there are some special cases to own the business 100% you can find useful information about company types registration on this website: http://mattarlaw.com/company-registration-lebanon/

There is another law that i am 100% sure of, that the government prohibit companies from any kind of stock trading. but as you know paying VAT and other taxes to the government can be easily manipulated and with a smart IT Audit you can declare fake low profit to the government so you end up making most of your income. Even some companies like the one i used to work before they had yearly income more than 500k so what they did is they split the companies which was owned by 2 brothers in the same building (3 floors) so they declare their profit below 500k on each company the reason behind this (also as i heard from my supervisor and not 100% sure) is that they pay low taxes doing this.

Anyway i think if a major foreign company want to open busines in Lebanon as a branch it doesn't need a partnership. this could apply to individuals or average companies that doesn't have other branches. but if you read in that website the laws are posted there.

Dear
Yes you can have both citizenships
But the rquirments are not easy   if you merry a Lebanese (only paperwork)  you have gone more than half the way