Naturalisation and citizenship in Guatemala

Hello everyone,

What are the requirements for acquiring citizenship in Guatemala? For example, length of residence, language requirements, employment etc..

What formalities are involved in the process?

What is the policy on dual-citizenship in Guatemala? Do you have to give up your former nationality?

What are the advantages and benefits of acquiring Guatemalan citizenship, in your opinion?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

You do not have to give up your former nationality. That I know, even though I have a legal residence, not a naturalization. That is, I am legally allowed to work here, I do not have to travel out of the country to renew a visa, and so on.  As far as I am concerned, the only advantages I would have as a citizen, were I to become one, is that there are a great many European and Asian scholarships available for Guatemalan citizens that go unclaimed every year, for undergrad to post-graduate courses and degrees and all sort of educational opportunities. Also, I would be able to vote in this country --although I think the US discourages people with dual citizenship from voting in other countries-- but I am not really interested in that.  In other words, I never went "all the way" into a Guatemalan citizenship, just remained a legal resident. I would suggest that anybody wanting to become a citizen in Guatemala and hold dual citizenship go to an immigration lawyer.

So Miss Trudy, we are planning on retiring to Guatemala in the next year or so.  I am curious of what the steps are to obtain legal residency since we would be interested in that and like you, not considering full citizenship.  How hard was it?  How long did it take?  Any pointers on the process?