Naturalisation and citizenship in Costa Rica

Hello everyone,

What are the requirements for acquiring citizenship in Costa Rica? For example, length of residence, language requirements, employment etc..

What formalities are involved in the process?

What is the policy on dual-citizenship in Costa Rica? Do you have to give up your former nationality?

What are the advantages and benefits of acquiring Costa Rican citizenship, in your opinion?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

Correction in order  :whistle: It is 'Naturalization'.

Hi Kohlerias,

Indeed naturalization or naturalisation. The english standard is automatically set to UK on the website, that is why it has been written with an "s".

All the best,
Bhavna

My apologies... :dumbom:

Bhavna wrote:

The english standard is automatically set to UK on the website.....

Quite right to..... :top::lol:

Copied and pasted from the informative website of Outlier legal services

"Currently, there are two possible ways to obtain citizenship in Costa Rica: Through being a resident in the country for more seven years, or for being married with a Costa Rican for a period of two years.

This is a brief description of the requirements for these two categories.
Marriage with a Costa Rican

Under this category, a foreign national can obtain citizenship if he/she has been married with a Costa Rican citizen for a period of at least two years, and has remained in the country for at least those two years.

Document Requirements

Cover letter
    Background check
    Birth certificate
    Five passport size photographs
    Certified copy of the passport
    Background check from the OIJ
    Immigration Report for entries and exits
    Marriage Certificate

Foreign documents such as the background check and the birth certificate must be authenticated for use in Costa Rica, and must me issued within three months prior to the filing of the application. In addition, the documents must be translated into Spanish.
Residency Category

Under this category, a foreign national can obtain citizenship if he/she has been a resident for at least seven years in Costa Rica.

Document Requirements

Cover letter
    Background check
    Birth certificate
    Five passport size photographs
    Certified copy of the passport
    Background check from the OIJ
    Immigration Report for entries and exits

In addition, it is required to take a history and Spanish language test.

Foreign documents such as the background check and the birth certificate must be authenticated for use in Costa Rica, and must me issued within three months prior to the filing of the application. In addition, the documents must be translated into Spanish."

**Recent changes now make it much easier for those over 65, since they are no longer required to take the history and Spanish language test. :top:

Benefits: you can then vote and you are no longer obligated to be affiliated with CAJA, although I still think it is a good idea to be part of this system.

I have been a permanent resident of Costa Rica for 40+ years and it has not been necessary to apply for citizenship.  I am married to a Costa Rican, retired and have a pension from the Caja and enjoy all the benefits of being a citizen except having the right to vote.  What can you tell me about the background check?  Would my 40+ years of permanent residency allow me to use this time on a background check?
I could always contact my last place of residency but would like to avoid this step if at all possible.    The current political situation in the US is making me think very seriously about taking this step.  Any input would be appreciated.

My wife and I have Residency,but we are not able to get Citizenship at this time.  When we have been here long enough we will look into it.

Orcas06...let me work on it. :/

I think it would be fantastic!!!
I came here almost 7 years ago for a month and fell in love and never left! Going through the usual procedures here lack modernism. I wish would be 10 years with no criminal record or arrest.

Is there any agenda?
If you need a position signed just ask.

Thank you,

Jeff Thomas

From what I can gather, if you are:

65 years old or older.
Central American or Spanish by birth and  must have had legal residency in Costa Rica for 5 years, other nationalities for 7 years. 

Those who have lived in Costa Rica for 20 years or more without being legal residents qualify for this program. (This will have to be proved by your immigration records)
A formal declaration by two witnesses showing that the requirements are met.

You must post your 'request' on La Gaceta, (in person with the required paperwork).

Then wait....