Naturalisation and citizenship in Brazil

Maybe where you are in Manaus it's like that, but in São Paulo state the PF are extremely friendly , relaxed and helpful.

Yeah, our attendant tried to tell me I was missing three pages of my passport although I counted them four times before leaving the house that morning and three times to night before, plus twice the day we took them to the cartorio to be "authenticated." I just bit my tongue and said "Here are the ones you're not seeing."

I didn't say the Police are that way, I said the attendants at the front desks which are contracted help, act like they are the DPF and make the decisions that really they aren't supposed to make. They are the ones who give you access to the real officers.  However, they base it on their on their own whims and perceptions that they are the ones who have the authority. Some make up rules as they go along. Not what is published officially on the DPF website.  It's like they have their little fifedoms of power and it goes to their heads

John,
Thanks for the reponse to my permanente residense renewal.

I do recognize that it would have been far easier to renew however we were living and working in the States at that time and it wasn't possible. I have kept up with my returning "home" to Brazil every two years and my passport has stayed current. I would like to have the indeterminada stamp instead of an expired date and mainly because so many are unaware of the "post 60" clause. It's just too hard to explain, no one wants to hear anyway. Hoping that they'll honor my RNE # and the hoop jumping is less. I think at this point I may just commence with full citizenship. I'll be back in Bahia in July. I've been retired since 2014 and just accepted a very good position with good beny's in CA. so we will be yet another few years up here! Tragic since we own our home in BA and it sits idle.

If you are single the first chance you can get married and the second things you can find someone to support you that person must be Brazilian and you need to spend 1500$ dollars to you become citizen in Brazil this is the second way because you will go to police federal office and you could change your document you can be citizens of Brazil but first you must go by Tourist visa after 3 months you could change the your document this is only way to you want be permanently to the Brazil my friend and everyone have to work even you being student in one week you have 20 hours for working.

M Milan

I don't know where you are getting your information but you are not accurate in your post.

Jim

Hi Jim

I believe Mr. Milan is going on talking about things which he hasn't experienced himself and is giving information based on hearsay.

I might not have read through this thread carefully but I fail to see or understand whose post is he even replying to or giving this information for.

Am feeling a bit blind here :)

Regards

JohnC wrote:

Welcome to Brasil the land of a thousand different standards for the same thing.  It probably even differs by the attendant at the DPF, after all, they are not The ones who make the decisions but they act as if they are. This is the way a lot of the public service employees act in Brazil, How dare you question their authority. Even if they treat you wrong they are unlikely to ever be fired.  Don't give into the temptation to snap back you'll only make them upset and get treated worse the next time you have to deal with them

That is just so true. I have come across so many situations where the circumstances are exactly the same but the way they are dealt with differ so much that it makes me so amazed.  Whether or not your work will get done that day depends on one/all of the  the following factor (s) :
The weather
The kind of sandwich the employee had that day
The black cat who crossed the road
The rainbow which was blocked by the black cloud.

Mike in São Paulo wrote:

By "card" are you guys talking about the ID card?

I just left the PF a couple hours ago. When I left, they gave me a small sheet of paper with my picture on that they embossed and my RNE at the bottom.

"Tipo de PedidO: REGISTRO PERMANENTE POR CASAMENTO"

She also put a stamp somewhat similar to the extension of my tourist visa on the next via page in my passport with "Registrado: Permanente."

She said I don't have to come back until I come back in 9 years to renew it.

That is not your ID card but just a request for it. You need to go again and check in a few weeks if they have received it yet. It will allow you entry into Brazil for sure but it might not be recognizable in places where you need  a visa. If you have a proper ID card that is what they need in terms of visas. For general travelling in S.America ,etc the pedido paper will work.

soie5 wrote:
Mike in São Paulo wrote:

By "card" are you guys talking about the ID card?

I just left the PF a couple hours ago. When I left, they gave me a small sheet of paper with my picture on that they embossed and my RNE at the bottom.

"Tipo de PedidO: REGISTRO PERMANENTE POR CASAMENTO"

She also put a stamp somewhat similar to the extension of my tourist visa on the next via page in my passport with "Registrado: Permanente."

She said I don't have to come back until I come back in 9 years to renew it.

That is not your ID card but just a request for it. You need to go again and check in a few weeks if they have received it yet. It will allow you entry into Brazil for sure but it might not be recognizable in places where you need  a visa. If you have a proper ID card that is what they need in terms of visas. For general travelling in S.America ,etc the pedido paper will work.

For now, just coming back home from the US will be enough. We don't have any plans or desires to travel to other South American countries, just visiting family in the US.

"Go again in a few weeks." You mean back to the PF in Santos where we did the paperwork?

Bhavna, If you acquire Brazilian citizenship, you can apply for several public jobs, such as myself, retired as Tax Inspector.

Dear
i want to national in Brazil what is the right procedure of application and how you can help me in this way.

regards

Adnan naqvi

Naturalization as a Brazilian citizen - Reference Brazil Embassy for specific details, however, a synopsis is given below of that information

Foreigners may apply for Brazilian nationality if they meet the following criteria:

Normal Circumstances usually are:  By marriage to a Brazillian ( see point 2 reduced requirements )  or by Starting a Business which requires a sizeable investment of money to start a business in Brazil or invest in one here ( 5 million reals ) R$ 5,000,000 or  USD $1,600,000

1. Permanent residence in Brazil - four years of uninterrupted residence in Brazil
2. Ability to speak and write Portuguese
3. Provable - Sufficient personal or family resources to support themselves
4. No criminal conviction or indictments in your home country or in Brazil

The residence requirement may be reduced in certain circumstances:

1. Only 30 days of residence are required for those married to a Brazilian diplomat for more than five years, or for those who worked for more than 10 years in a Brazilian diplomatic mission.
2 Only one year of residence is required for those who have a Brazilian spouse, parent or child, for nationals of Portuguese-speaking countries, or for those who provide "relevant services" to the country.
3. Those with "professional, scientific, or artistic ability" may apply after two years
4. Persons of higher net worth may apply after three years.
5.  Those who have lived in Brazil for more than 15 years and have no criminal conviction do not have to satisfy any other condition for naturalization.
       a) There are also lower requirements for those who moved to Brazil as minors.

Since 10 May 2016, Brazil does not require naturalized citizens to renounce their previous nationality.

One other method is to go to the Brazil embassy in your country and request asylum, you would have to prove that your life would be in danger if you remain in your home country. Upon their consideration, they may grant asylum in Brazil based on the facts you provide. There may be special consideration given to citizenship based on asylum but I don't have information on that.

Your best resource for your questions would be the Brazil Embassy in your country, they could answer all the particulars for you directly or via their website do a google search to find them online

Simonh342 wrote:

3. You must vote in Brazilian elections. Failure to do so is pretty serious, by all accounts.

Sure, an R$ 3,50 fine. Very serious!

Simonh342 wrote:

4. There is no real advantage to having Brazilian citizenship compared to permanent residency status.

Depends on your point of view. As a citizen you can pass a concurso and work for the government.

JohnC wrote:

Normal Circumstances usually are:  By marriage to a Brazillian ( see point 2 reduced requirements )  or by Starting a Business which requires a sizeable investment of money to start a business in Brazil or invest in one here ( 5 million reals ) R$ 5,000,000 or  USD $1,600,000

That's one zero too much. It's R$ 500.000,00.

Heyyy Sven

Welcome back :)

It's been very long since I have seen you post on this board. 

Regards

Stanza

Got conflicting information, one website says 1.5 million another says $200,000 and yet another says $150, 000 the one for $200,000 says that a Brazilian company can apply for your visa as an investor as long as you maintain your investment in the Corporation. The one for $150,000 states you can pay this amount but you must have a business plan to employ at least 10  Brazilians. What do you think it would cost to employ them that cost must be figured in, and also and the cost of creating a business in Brazil, Attorneys fees, legal requirements and bureaucracy you are probably looking at $1.5 million minimum.

My advice marry a Brazilian and obtain permanency through marriage. It's the least expensive way

"Is it true that the elderly permanent foreigner does not need to renew his or her permanent resident identity card?"
Yes...true!
This article is from the Policia Federal website.

By Luiz Geraldo Silva Braz - published 7/1/2016 02h34, last modified 07/07/2016 02h34
In accordance with Law 8988/1995 and Law 9,505 / 97, foreigners registered as PERMANENTS who have participated in previous registrations are exempted from the substitution of the CIE - Foreign Resident Identity Card, which:

Have completed sixty (60) years of age, up to the date of expiration of the CIE or;
They are disabled (Decree-Law 2,236 / 85).

If you opt for EXCHANGE OF IDENTITY OF FOREIGN EXCHANGE with validity determined by a new one, with INDETERMINED validity, the following documents will be required:

Original Alien Identity Card or protocol - accompanied by authenticated xerox;
2 recent, photos, colored and with white background;
Declaration that he has not left Brazil for more than two (2) uninterrupted years;
CIE emission rate, code 140120, in the amount of R $ 204.77.

Hi,

I read also something about this
I am married to a Brazilian woman for over 9 years living in Europe I got the VIPER from the Brazil embassy in my country in 5 days (US$ 200) ,and in September I will apply for the CIE.
So,because I am over 60 now,they might issue the CIE without an expiration date ?
One question,I see that it takes about 30 days till the PF issues my CIE,but I might go back home in the meantime to solve some things...I read that they stamp the passport and give a protocol number for as registered,so it's ok when I return..of course not in 2 years !
Thanks

Crisgringo

The PF asks that if you are leaving Brazil before delivery of the CIE that you let them know. If it arrives before you return and you don't pick it up in a timely fashion they will send it back to Brasília.

Jim

I'm headed over to the PF today. Even they insist the card is no longer needed after 60 however upon using the card anywhere, nobody else knows that! All they see is a big expiration date! I paid the R$204.77 at the Banco do Brasil, bring the printed application/agenda from PF online site, 2 passport style photos and a prayer. No doubt that you and I have to return in person to pick up.

Basically it's a whole new application but because we are already in the system its a little easier than having to proveand legalize everything.

Jim, good tip as that is my case.

Well, we WERE going to Santos today to pick up my CPF, see if my RNE card was ready, and apply for my wife's new passport in her married name. For some dumb damn reason though, we both thought the appointment was for today, the 28th. We both focused on Friday being the day although last night she asked me if I was sure it wasn't the 27th. Of course, that was at 9PM at night when we couldn't do anything about it. But she was right. We woke up and checked, 27-7-2017@11H. I don't know why we both focused on FRIDAY instead of the date, but now we've lost another 10 days. Our new appt is the 8th at 2PM. This time I'm printing the appointment form and putting it right in front of my face at the computer.

Hi,

How should I let them (PF) know that I want to leave Brazil for a while before they issue the CIE?
Shall I go to them with the protocol ?? or it will be registered when I leave the country?
And I suppose that if they send in the meantime my CIE to Brasila ,they would send it back to me when I come to ask for it ....
Thank you

Bummer..sounds like me!

I asked your question today. The answer was they will telefone you in Brazil...friend or relative and HOLD the card until you pick it up..at least in Salvador Pol Fed.

Hey! Success! The CEDULA ESTRANGEIRO card reapplication process was almost streamlined...Im blown away. Went there this morning with app in hand. Was fingerprinted, photo'd and recieved in hand my provosorial ID and card atrives in 30 days. This all took about 20 minutes. Musta been slow.

I did mine a few years ago. We called them and let them know.

Jim

Jim,
Yeah, I did too..called Monday and they said no way...too busy. Come back in August 9th. So ignoring what she said, we arrived today before lunchtime. She remembered the call and expedited us before lunch. The place was near empty and all the two cases before me were over. It was a case of unknown, perfect timing.

Hi,

Thank you for asking. I understood from people here that the issue of the CIE lasts about 30 days ...or less ??? :D Anyway I would be in SP and" visit "them at least 1-2 times per week ....hohohihi
All the best

To me, there are no advantages of becoming a Brazilian citizen. There are no INSS supplemental income like the SS supplemental income in the US . They might even charge taxes from worldwide income since there's no tax agreement between the 2 countries.

Advantages: Being a part of MERCOSUL, Brazilian citizens could live in member states
like in Argentina or Uruguay. European Union member states could do the same in their continent. Any Portuguese ladies who would like to trade mine (US) with theirs? Just kidding!

Also, a naturalized Brazilian could use the Brazilian passport to travel to high risk countries like in the middle east especially if you're american or british.

robal

Hi everyone,
I would be grateful if someone have idea about how to Obtain a  Brazilian Naturalization .I am married to brazilian for 5 years by now.  Can anyone tell me what is the procedure, how long it take and what document are require?

i would like to hear from you all,

Thanks,

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : inappropriate
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi, Chokey,

If you and your spouse have lived in Brazil for at least a year, you can start the naturalization process.  You can find the forms and instructions on the Federal Police website, or just call them and ask them how to proceed.  You'll need to obtain documents from your home country, and the process is reported to be time consuming and onerous, but seems to be pretty straightforward.  Good luck, and please report back on your experiences.

Hey Chokey, first you need to hold a Brazilian Permanent Residence and live in Brazil for 1 year straight. Then you have to go to the federal Police and apply

You will need to pass a basic portuguese test of a few questions about an article from the dailey paper and 1 or two person questions like why you wanna becmome a citizen.

Then submit the usual documents including proof of employment or income, criminal record checks appostilled in country of Origin etc

Basically they to get a citizenship you need to show that you are living in and have a life in Brazil, if you do it's pretty easy to produce the documents, if not forget it

Hope that clears it up

I didn't find it time consuming at all, actually pretty easy
I probably spent a total of two hours getting the documents together and one trip to my consulate

The only hard one is the Police clearance from your own country apostilled nd no older than 3 months
I paid a company about $200 including courier fee to do this for me quickly

that was the only cost apart from the fee's

The citizenship process is only difficult if you not ready for it, but if you are genuinley intergrated into society in Brazil it's a breeze as thats all they want to see.

Hi stevefunk.

Yes I am holding permanent  document for more than 4 years.

Thank you for your information.

Hi Abthree,

Thank you.

Hi!!! I am also a South African citizen, and I am married to a Brazilian. I did apply for my South African passport September last year, and until now I haven't received my new passport, the reason?  I still don't know...I have heard from others South Africans that have been waiting for more than 10 months to get their passport. This is the reason that I am thinking applying for my Brazilian Citizenship, I had my permanent resident permit in  Brazil for more than 5 years, and now, I am more than qualify, however, my soul tears me apart thinking that I might lose my South African citizenship, my family still in South Africa and I would like to go back someday.

Erick Bowen