How to make friends in Bangkok

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in Bangkok :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Bangkok??

Thanks in advance for your participation

Bangkok is just too big with too many expatriates who do need each other. You won't make friends here more easily than you will in New York, Paris or other capital city. Probably more difficult actually.

I think the workplace would be the starting point for most, and in my experience it is work colleagues who first become friends.

As elsewhere that circle of friends can expand to associates of colleagues as newcomers stay longer. But I think Bangkok has more than its fair share of 'unusual' characters in its expatriate ranks, so be on your guard.

ThaiThanic wrote:

But I think Bangkok has more than its fair share of 'unusual' characters in its expatriate ranks, so be on your guard.

Most expatriates in Thailand are no different than expatriates in the rest of the word.
They just do not care about the locals.

Farangrakthai wrote:

Most expatriates in Thailand are no different than expatriates in the rest of the word.
They just do not care about the locals.

don't generalize Farangrakthai ;)

By the way, how can anybody discover a country and its culture without trying to make local friends?

(I met people "closed minded expatriates" like that a while ago in Mauritius and these guys were not interesting people)

Julien wrote:

don't generalize Farangrakthai ;)

I said "most expatriates", I'm one of them and know many of them. Believe me when I say most... ;)

It's easy to make friends here but it hard to find Thai that can speak real good English. 

I'm living in Bangkok now may be we can be friend.

feel free to write me @ [email protected]

Oh, farangrakthai I think we need to change your sign-in name to farangmaichopfarang! :)

Going on my own experience, BKK was the easiest place I've lived to make friends - farang or Thai. Like everywhere you get out what you put in although I would avoid the aul fellas hanging out in certain bars.

If you're into sports or any sort of outdoor activity, you'll make friends through things like the Hash / going on tours/ yoga classses. It's the same in the most places I guess; the first time you move countries it takes forever to make friends but then you learn the routine.

The only thing in BKK about making mostly expat friends is there's a very high turnover. Read Urban Pilgrim's blog for more on this.

You're right, there is a high turnover and it may be the reason why after some time, for long term expats, you're just not interested to meet the short term ones.
But well, I went to British Club, American Club, Embassies parties, whatever place you think about where you find the expats with an expat package. Do not ask them to comment about the Thais... These are the farangs I do not like. And there is another category that comes here for sex and cheap life. I don't like them either. But well, I have quite a few farang friends, from other categories :cool:

Yeah, I never got that - people who move to live in a place and then do nothing but moan. I admit I was like that in places for short times but usually either started to like the place or moved on. In Bkk, you can meet people who've lived there for twenty years and all they do is moan and bang on about problems. Very hard to listen to.
Anyone reading this who is moving to Thaiand - bring a bucket of positivity with you!!

Hi all farangs up there!

I am a local Thai and will be more than happy to be "friend" with you as a good host.

Don't worry I am not a kind of "hunter" or love farang type. write me if you'd like to know anything about Thai ways without bias.

:):)

Oh by the way,

I love exercise,aerobics dance,running and gym workout.

Is there anyone living near Ramkamhaeng/Huamark/ Lad Prao or the Mall Bangkapi, let me know I have a nice group of friends who are in the same interest.

you are welcome to join US!:D

i am new in bangkok, need to have new friend too

i am malaysian chinese, designer, now in bangkok

happy to see any email reply

cheers
simon

Hi everyone,
My wife and I moved to Bangkok in Feb 09, and so far we have not met anyone. Sometimes I think it is easier to meet people if you are single. Just to find a few other couples who we could meet up with now and again for an odd beer and a laugh would be great.
Any ideas from anyone
Malcolm

I think the best way is to realise what you like doing and then meet people in places where what you like doing happens :) Often you meet people with things in common.

So if you love sports...sports club membership
If you like drinking and partying get out to some of the expats bars.
If you like writing and reading join a writing group or go to the FCC.

If you like sailing join a sailing club and so on. Golf can be a great way for meeting people.

Also be willing to make the first introduction and be friendly.

You'll soon start making friends.

niamhg wrote:

Oh, farangrakthai I think we need to change your sign-in name to farangmaichopfarang! :)

Going on my own experience, BKK was the easiest place I've lived to make friends - farang or Thai. Like everywhere you get out what you put in although I would avoid the aul fellas hanging out in certain bars.

If you're into sports or any sort of outdoor activity, you'll make friends through things like the Hash / going on tours/ yoga classses. It's the same in the most places I guess; the first time you move countries it takes forever to make friends but then you learn the routine.

The only thing in BKK about making mostly expat friends is there's a very high turnover. Read Urban Pilgrim's blog for more on this.

Yes I found the same. Real easy to make friends in Bangkok. You just have to get out there and start mingling. Sports clubs, bars, gyms, golf course,...whatever your into...you'll soon meet people. Some bad, some good and eventually you will have friends.

I don't think so, it is very easy to make friend in any part of the world u just need a sweet smile on ur face and brightness in your eyes.
I had been in thailand for several times on business tour and surprisingly I had no professional friends there but had several others and we are in contact with each other and use to meet when i use to visit thailand.
Comeon guys thailand is the best country I had ever seen as I use to travel several countries and I found thailand very excellant.
Take out sometime and in evenig while roaming on street talk to strangers u vl make new friends.

cheers and gudluck

I have been here almost three months, although I have some thai friends here, everyone has their own life, we are busy, I believe sometimes it's so hard to make a free day to go out.

But next week, I should go to work...
I also want to make some new friends...
BTW, I am a Chinese guy..

add me...
[email protected]

I think the best way to make friends is to join a social group - thetr are many groups based on nationality but also based on special interest.(check the ANZWG guide for a list) I've been involved with Bangkok Community Theatre here for over 15 years. Old friends move away to new postings and new people join the group and become friends. We come from all different countries, different backgrounds but we have a great time putting on shows together and the friendships built doing that last long after the show is over.

i will repeat the others.:D
i have been in Thailand (Chonburi) for quite an amount of time... and that's true that friendship grows quite easily in Thailand ( with thai ppl). from the workplace mainly.
-a little bit faster if u dare learn the language.

then for the others, i guess it's "by chance", so u need to have activities which could bring that opportunity.

btw: I'm back in thai' again,( bangkok this time) in feb' could be cool to meet.
if anyone want it :)

I'm Thai. I'm interesting english language. And I can teach about Thai for you.
now, I am in BKK.

I would like to have friend is foreigner. And I want to share experince and culture by contact.

If you want to contact to me,you will add my email:
[sc431137  {AT}  hotmail.com].

hiiiiiiii we make friend

I am new to Bangkok and would like to meet people. I am English but would like to learn Thai. I am living arounde the Ekkamai area. Are there any good places to meet people

If you really want to make friends.

I thinks you should go to an university for doing sports like football tennis that free for everyone and that you will find
many friends.

May be I can be your friend for guide you with welling.

because I want to have foreign friend to exchange culture .

this my email :  [email protected]

Well, im trying to make a bangkok forum meeting for quite sometime. I started a post on which i stated that. Then I got a job and then the red's arrived...anywho, trying to arrange a meeting for this next weekend. Any takers?

Hi,

myself and fiancee Giow are available on the 11th June.   Please forward details.

regards,

Tony

if you have a hobby or a interest like reading books or playing sports then go and find places where people read or play that sport.

Hi...i am new on this site...i am a filipina,i've been living in BKK and Saraburi for almost a year now...bit lonely as i havent met anyone to be my friend,go out with,play some sport,shop,meet different people, learn different cultures & language..if anyone interested,pls just send me a message..tnx.

Is that you with some guy? why dont you do something with him? or the both of you go out and meet other couples? JW

Making Friends
idaybkk.com/main/content/whereandwhen_2010.html
If you are a US expat perhats this event will be a place to meet other US expats.
It is an independence day celebration cut and paste the link. It is for July 3rd a Saturday in BKK.

I'm just looking for a family friendly person who wants to talk and go out for coffee.

it's not difficult to make friend here. Thai people want to be your friend but mostly they quite shy to speak English.
Welcome you all and very happy to hear that you do love Thailand.

I'm an American visiting here in Bangkok for the last week and staying in Thailand until the end of November. 

My intent is to consider living here for a few years.

So far I love the city and it's bustling nature, but the whole experience is very daunting without any local friends, and I'm not really sure how to (or who to) approach that would be friendly...

I have found myself over the last few days going to the typical tourist sites because it's the only place I can understand how to navigate, but I feel like there's so much to Bangkok I'm missing..

The bouts of missing home when settling back into the hotel sucks, too.

Hey,

I am a 27 year old latino male expat who just got transferred for a couple of years to Bangkok. I am looking for some local and international people to hang out with.

Email me! and we can go out for a beer anytime!

[email protected]

Hi everyone!! I'm new here.

I'm studying Thai, there (at the institute) I've find many people from different places who are very kind...

Best regards

Kind? What makes them kind? JW

P.S. My ex was kind at one time

I made many friends there because they want to meet people besides thai language.

Hello,I'm Thai and I think it's not hard to make friends in Bangkok.U know,thai people are too much shy maybe coz mostly can't speak english well so they try to keep away from foreigners.In fact I think Thai people are friendly.U just say "Sa wat dee" and smile.I'm sure u can get new friends.
Oh this is my e-mail [email protected]  U can practise thai language with me before u enter the ground...hahaha joking :P

Have a nice experience in Thailand.

Gift

Hi all of you,

It's not difficult to make friendship in Bkk but not ease to do that for foreigners. Mostly the relationship are short term because Thais aren't comfortable to communicate in English even they graduated degrees from overseas. The another reasons are from expratiates cz they want for sex and lovers not much in relationship as friend. With my experience, I met some of them so they want the kind of romance, sex or etc. which completly oppose my purpose. All I want is friend, especially Foreigners cz it's interesting to know people who are from different country to share some experiences with and be a good friend.
I think It's not only for them to make friend here but also Thais too.

BTW, if you think we can br friend pls add me or send message to me I'm sure we will have a great memory....Hehheheheheh

Nan

i will be there next week and hope that making friends wont be such a tough job!!!! its always good to get to know people and if you feel that you cannot get along then hey....take your call!!!