What is going down - updates here please

i spoke just a minute ago with a libyan friend..he said tripoli is very quite..

mzsmartypants wrote:

MOE, any updates?

From what I hear and read, everyone is now busy reloading their rifle magazines or unloading them, and it'll end either of two ways:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwGcpWJDZwg

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkytWjUZ5Q4

There is also a crowd in green square waving green flags and chanting. You may want to find an online livestream of Libyan TV. Nothing can be so comical.

estimates of protesters have swelled now to 50,000 strong with units of Libyan army joining them on their way to green square from 3aradah (east of Tripoli)

Gaddafi is on Libyan TV. This man is .... exceptional

Hallucinogenic Nestle ?

I'm up for some of that sh*t man!

MoEl wrote:

Gaddafi is on Libyan TV. This man is .... exceptional

Exceptionally delusional?

He wants to die a martyrs death, but will probably die a lamp post subjective justice death. Too bad.

The era of the African despot finally seems to be in it's twilight...

<> Ceausescu <>

Hi Lybia expats
Please take care of you and your family ! all my thoughts go to those who have to leave their lives, friends and others stuffs they enjoyed in Lybia
cyber from Nouméa

I am a producer for NPR in Washington, D.C. We are looking for people in Libya, especially Tripoli, to speak with us on air (in English) about what's going on. If you can help us connect with anyone who you definitely know is in the country, we would really appreciate it.

We are also looking for any of the expats who may have left on the ferries to Malta or Turkey, and are willing to talk to us about their experiences.

You can e-mail me at kadamsnpr.org

Seems all ther  newspapers and journalists want a story,   asking for contacts  for the  ten minutes in the son. 

Personally my opinion is why not send your people on the ground and then report.

scots Lad wrote:

Seems all ther  newspapers and journalists want a story,   asking for contacts  for the  ten minutes in the son. 

Personally my opinion is why not send your people on the ground and then report.

mr. scots lad
do you even begin to understand how difficult things are in Tripoli?
we are out of there and we are dead worried about our friends. Airport is a hell hole, borders are a mess. Food prices are soaring..Journalists are risking their lives to inform the rest of the world and for days now ...whatever, what is the use...?!
some people will personally remain insensitive.
sorry, I shut up.
fk

tipoli is calm heavy securities around, my husband was out yesterday afternoon he was stopped and thoroughly question checked his papers and told to go home and stay put that things will be fine from today.
hoping that all will wear out soon by the special grace of God.

a question pls when protesting, does one protest with guns and cutlas? and if yes  what do we expect in return?

There were some info about clashes in East Janzour yesterday, supposedly 5 people died. Any news on that?

Take care.

thanks,

as for the clash in Janzour i dont think it is true for am close to Janzour and i have someone there ask him and he told me things are calm only that movement is restricted for safety sake.

it is true that there are violent and death but the new are exaggerating all that is happening especially al-jesera

Hello, do you know anybody in Tripoli who speaks Dutch?

Sincerely,

Ruurd Edens
NOS Radio Netherlands
00 31 35 677 80 22

Mail address for Dutch radio is [email protected]

Ruurd Edens

Hi, guys!

Hope that everything is OK and more of you are safely out of the country.

A question for those who are still there: does any courrier service, e.g. DHL or TNT, work these days in Tripoli?

Palachakh wrote:

A question for those who are still there: does any courrier service, e.g. DHL or TNT, work these days in Tripoli?

I can confirm that Aramex is down.

http://www.america.gov/st/democracyhr-e … P.rss=true

http://www.america.gov/st/texttrans-eng … P.rss=true

Aramex:

No great loss there from a customer viewpoint.  We just had $2,000 of repairs finished for the furniture that was damaged.  That doesn't include the stuff we wrote off as too badly damaged and not valuable enough to repair. Also doesn't include the broken ceramics and smashed lamp shades.....

Cant complain too much though, at least we got out with our stuff a few months ago.  Most friends did not.  And, all things considered if I were in the shoes of those anxious to get their things out,  I'd accept any of it - damaged by Aramex packers or not.

Hi Guys,
Is it confirmed that Benghazi Airport is opened and International Flights has been started?

Hello to all. I am new here. May I know please all your latest situation in Libya? I am praying for your peace. As you know I am about to go there to work.

You can email me at [email protected]
Please i am asking for the true events. God bless you all!

Guy's,
Be careful about PMing or mailing info, news hounds will stoop that low.
Any of the regulars, PM me for an update, I am still here and helping to Evac people.
Heads down, tin hats on people.
OB

Dear guys, thanks God I succeed to exit Sunday afternoon, extracted by an Italian C130 crew, ordered by some Irish fellows (a joint action, you can ask but I don't how much precise I can be) and all I can say, it was a nightmare the 500-600 m walk from the last bridge until the VIP bldg in the airport. Mountains of broken baggage, improvised tents from blankets, peoples laying down every where, goonies and gorillas pushing you or shouting on you, anyway almost Dante's inferno... In the airport building maybe more a thousand of people (a security guy, who guard our 19 people group told me they are Egyptians)ready to fly away, kept laying down by the police force and army. One Italian Hercules await us on tarmac with all crew gear up and after take off they took off their equipment, guns, helmets and stuff... We landed on a military airport, close to Rome.
You know what's really strange ? After everybody became relaxed because I succeed to be back home safe, I understood that my job is there and if not this week or next one, in the very next future I'll have to be back there. The only question is, when the situation will be normal enough to have a communication with ODAC, contractors, suppliers, anyone we are linked...?

BTW, Mudman, we had the luck, 21 years ago, with a whole Europe to jump to help us (and from time to time to oblige us) to do the right things, and even so, we didn't succeed entirely, we still have some holes in our panties, but there the situation is dramatically different, here we have to communicate with EU Parliament and we owe them with some obedience regarding the rules, there the rules are abolished since they think the oil give them the divine right to do anything. (sorry for here and there, seems to be confusing, I'm back home in Bucharest from yesterday, so stop coughing when you remember Ceausescu, your lungs don't deserve this, and he deserve less, even if you're a smoker ;) )
Anyway, hope anybody who's still there to be safe, stay put, and write from time to time, even nonsense, to know you are... active
...and God bless you all.

Hello All,

I also did the Evac via the Airport. Unfortunately there were no more USD or EUR currency to exchange my LYD. I have 4000 LYD with me in the Netherlands and would like to exchange at a good rate to ERUO. Anybody in the Netherlands that is palling to fly back to TIP and would like to exchange money?

please mail me at [email protected] or send me a private mail via this blog.

Cheers,
Fieldhouse123

Welcome on board Fieldhouse123 ;)

We already have a discussion regarding this issue:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=68483

However, for more visibility, I will suggest you to post your message on that discussion or start a new discussion on the Libya forum!

Regards

HI

How are things in Libya ?

Tell me, if you will, what is the opinion of the Libyan people ?
It is to my understanding that there are at least two sides of the conflict, and a third outside.

Perhaps a two part parlimant is a solution to the conflict, with a figure of leader of the House. Since there are at least two parts with different opinions.

M Gadaffi has showed signs of beeeig willing to step down as long as his position is passed to one of his sons. If the position is passed on so on the requirements that a free election will be held in the future, with a fixed date, where representatives of both parties are allowed to join. Then further bloodsheed can be saved, and voices of all Libya be heard, all paties met, and a path for a better Libya be taken.

The two part parliment could be created at once, if complete sease fire would maintaine on both sides, where Gadaffies son could be the leader of the Libyan governmential house untill upcomming elections.  During this time voices and diskussions can be made between the two parties were they together try to organize the election, if wanted with outside observes and or help and meet the needs that has ceated the upisings in the fist place.  If intenationally accpted observers should observe the election, consideing the recent events. But reading both sides opinion of the conflict, that should not be a problem.

Nevetheless, murder and killings of any kind is plain wrong and not accepted.

http://globalciviliansforpeace.com/2011 … el-libyan/

MoEl wrote:

globalciviliansforpeace.com/2011/08/31/george-galloway-challenges-pro-rebel-libyan/

By 'pro-rebel', does he mean pro-freedom?

Category of person that prays at the altar of Gaddafi:

Lying Marxists
Viewers of Russia Today
Serbs
Conspiracy Theorists.
The paid-off and or brainwashed

Muppets.

benghazi  and musrita  is so peace ,  but in tripolie   i do not know

uefastriker wrote:
MoEl wrote:

globalciviliansforpeace.com/2011/08/31/george-galloway-challenges-pro-rebel-libyan/

By 'pro-rebel', does he mean pro-freedom?

Category of person that prays at the altar of Gaddafi:

Lying Marxists
Viewers of Russia Today
Serbs
Conspiracy Theorists.
The paid-off and or brainwashed

Muppets.

Forgot to mention...Daily Mail readers.

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8871825/Libya-dispatch-as-lawlessness-spreads-are-the-rebel-good-guys-turning-bad.html
Is it true about elephant?
I ve visited the zoo two times during my stay in Libya but never saw the elephant there. Looks like I wont see it ever....

dailymail readers....MoEl great to see you back and as feisty as ever.  currently in Tripoli. things are fine. last night there was something going on over by the fish roundabout -- boom boom, but then it was gone. we heard the NTC was on high alert due to another incident in Zawiya but nothing that lasted any time.

During the day, things are fine - and actually this is the first incident I have been aware of in the week that I have been back. People are incredibly upbeat and trying to get back to normal. was at Mehari market on Thursday -- shelves were stocked but not totally - fruit, veg, meat, eggs, milk, bread etc. available. Yesterday at Souk al Talat they were stocking shelves like there was no tomorrow..again, not everything but already more than Mehari. As things improve I suspect shopping will get back as well. Water has not been a problem nor electricity. In the Medina some shops and restaurants still not open, but again I suspect as visa situation improves people who are cooks, etc. will return and business will come back.

uefastriker wrote:

Forgot to mention...Daily Mail readers.

m0j0working wrote:

During the day, things are fine - and actually this is the first incident I have been aware of in the week that I have been back. People are incredibly upbeat and trying to get back to normal. was at Mehari market on Thursday -- shelves were stocked but not totally - fruit, veg, meat, eggs, milk, bread etc. available. Yesterday at Souk al Talat they were stocking shelves like there was no tomorrow..again, not everything but already more than Mehari. As things improve I suspect shopping will get back as well. Water has not been a problem nor electricity. In the Medina some shops and restaurants still not open, but again I suspect as visa situation improves people who are cooks, etc. will return and business will come back.

+1. i think it will probably get much better much faster than many people expect. looking forward to the results of the elections which should happen by mid to late 2012 god willing.

Thanks for the positive information, Mojoworking!!!  :-)  This is very helpful to me, as I will be returning mid-December - and its good to know what its like for people in Tripoli on a daily basis now.  Appreciate it!!  :-)

im libyan and works in oil production libya now is safer than any time befor and most of the expat work with us rturn back

What ports are open for shipping freight? I have some heavy machinery I'd like to ship. Is Misrata port now open for business? Let me know people? I'm in the dark! Thanks.

kpark00 wrote:

What ports are open for shipping freight? I have some heavy machinery I'd like to ship. Is Misrata port now open for business? Let me know people? I'm in the dark! Thanks.

If you are to import something to Libya, that implies that you have contacted with customs broker, why dont you ask him?
I guess at the moment all ports are operating.

Haven't been back in a while and many people are not answering their phone. Anyone else know if Misrata port is active? THanks.