Football (soccer) in Vietnam

I've looked through the forum but not seen anything that answers what I'm looking for.

My understanding is that football is the national sport of Vietnam, what I would like to know is what is the quality like? I've watched snippets here and there on YouTube but not enough to give me a clear inclination of the standard.

Really, what I would like is a comparison to the English Leagues, so is it as good as League 1, the National League (conference) or is it not even close to that?

It seems it's not that well received now since the match fixing scandals which seems completely farcical, however, I'm only going off what I've found online, so would just like a better idea, if anyone could assist.

Thanks in advance.

Bump - anyone?

Well, I am not a real authority on Vietnamese football although I have been creating websites for them here: http://thethao247vn.com/ and http://nhandinhbongda360.com/ although the latter one is not yet updated (but I will get there soon).

Try to read up on this, maybe it would help.

Its a good start but as you say, its not up to date and the first link is all about English football!

Enthusiasm for football is high in Vietnam but talent still seems to be lacking.  Vietnam's ranking is the SE Asian circuit seem to be improving but I don't think the national team has ever qualified for the first round World Cup.  Perhaps things will improve with time.  For now most fan interest seems to remain with the English Premier League as that's what's on the TV.

Is there much interest in the Vietnamese Premier league?

My impression comes from what I have been told by teens that I have taught.  They seemed to have a patriotic enthusiasm but low expectations for the national team.  If you asked them their favorite team it was always United (seldom City,) Chelsea, or Arsenal.

Ah right, makes sense. Might go and watch Ho Chi Minh play on Saturday and see what its like. Any idea on like admission to get in or any info like that? I don't think they've even got their own website.

Vietnamese football is simply high enthusiasm, low skill. We blame the shit out of our national team but still gather to see them play every time and the cycles repeat.

We do watch our National League but we are also willing to stay late at night to see football games from all Major League: EPL, La Liga, Serie A, .etc.

Houstonrepresents wrote:

high enthusiasm, low skill.

I like that description as it could apply to a lot of our experiences in life.  I'll have to remember it.

Still yet to find anything for the expat market regarding the V League so I've done it myself, I think there is defo a market there for it- link here for latest article which features on an Indian website which generates more traffic than the majority of English papers: https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/5- … he-world/4

Think its a real travesty that more people aren't interested, I mean FIVE teams can win the league with two games left, unbelievable.

Once some years ago I talked about it with a colleague who had previously played football at good level here in Vietnam.
He was quite hopeless about improvement of football level in Vietnam.. He told me that the best player in the country just they are not called in the national team, cause this calling works in different way than in other countries.. technical qualities of the players don't really matter that much.

Well I stopped to watch a couple of football matches of an international championship for South-East Asian countries.. their level is just not enough to be spectacular or compelling :( But vietnamese rely the maximum hope for some victory only on this championship and they follow it on TV in large numbers..

AntonioR wrote:

He told me that the best player in the country just they are not called in the national team, cause this calling works in different way than in other countries.. technical qualities of the players don't really matter that much.

Did you get the feeling that he was alluding to party loyalty?

Hopes for the future?  :/
Ryan Giggs to take director of football job at Vietnamese academy

Well,  they are definitely spending money on the future of football in VN but ....  are they really willing to learn new skills in-depth ... or is it just another "high enthusiasm - high spending" drama? :unsure
Only time will tell....
PVF Football Academy