Moving from Santa Fe, NM to Puerto Vallarta

I'm looking for the best way to get our stuff down to PV. We are taking a sofa, a couple of living room chairs, 2 end tables, a coffee table, some lamps, some art, clothes, a few kitchen items. That's it. It's certainly not 1,000 lbs. required by Moreno and other big companies.
We are driving down and crossing the border at Santa Teresa. I'm getting Mexican insurance for the car before we leave Santa Fe. Our dog will be with us. I have gotten paperwork from AAA and online for the dog.
I have to admit, I'm a little nervous about having everything I need for the car,the dog and my son and I.
We have our Mexican visas and US Passports. We are staying at least a year in PV and need to move down around the end of June.
Any suggestions as to a company to move us or how to make the move would be greatly appreciated. Some friends are very nervous that we are driving down, but I'm not. The roads look good. We are a big road trip family and drive to California and Texas often. But if anyone has any thoughts on this drive, I'd appreciate hearing those, too.
Thanks,
Randy

Sorry to say Andy, but I would seriously  think about making major changes in your plans. Very few of us have moved  just about everything as you plan to do. It's not a trip for the faint of heart, and not all of the roads are  good.
Few are anything like Texas or California roads. I have driven down the tiny winding road into PV and was amazed that cars were able to pass each other at all. When a larger vehicle came by it stopped everything for a while, and caused some maneuvering back and forth. Last I saw there were no guard rails.

What would I do ? bring only what you can put in the car, Ship what is treasured family stuff you can't live without and can't get in your car. all we brought was electronics and Items not readily available in Mexico. Furniture like couches etc. can be purchased here, sometimes for much less than in the U.S. I recently bought a king sized posturapedic bed that was just like one in the U.S. only it was on sale for less. There is nothing I am sorry I left behind.  If you bring all of your things you can look forward to a trip that might include an extra thorough examination at the border

You can also buy things from Amazon Mx. and have them deliver the items to your door.

And You would have to pay me a lot of money to use a border crossing that had heavy traffic to Cd. Juarez, Cd. Chihuahua, Especially with a family and a loaded car.
I would drive to Arizona in Nogales and cross where I would not potentially be crossing into cartel territory, or encounter them after crossing. Also you have to go (west) that way to travel to PV anyway. It's a pretty straight shot down to PV from there and there are a number of toll roads. You definitely are better off on toll roads.

What sort of visa do you have ? you can only stay 180 days on a visitor visa.

I know this shoots holes in your plans, but it would be much safer.

Hi "hellorandy1". I am not an expert but few questions first.

Are you moving permanently? If yes,
Under what VISA? If permanent, you can't bring a foreign plated car. If temporary, yes, you can.
Personal goods list, with permanent or temporary visas you need a list if you bring more than 3000$ not sure if it you need a brockerage but the certified list by the consulate of Mexico.

One thing, you will be check by the Aduana at the crossing specialy if you come in Mexico under a FMM tourist visa for a maximum of 180 days.

Finally, if I may suggest go to the Mexican consulate in your area or call them.

My wife and I are moving permanently in Mexico (next October), we are selling everything in Canada  (including our 2013 vehicule). We came down last October 2016 with 3 suitcases, we will come back next October with a maximum of 3 suitcases. We think that what we will need is available in Mexico  (La Peñita de Jaltemba).

Buena suerte, GyC.