Moved to Mauritius

Hi everyone! Myself and my husband with our 2 daughters (aged 17 and 14) recently moved to Mauritius and staying in temporary accommodation in Moint Choisy until we have found a permanent house in area we prefer. My youngest daughter is in Northfields School as West Coast International did not have space for her in her age group...which makes it difficult as we really wanted to stay in Black River or Moka but is too far from Northfields. Does anyone know of any safe transport from Moka and Black River to Northfields? Or should we stick it out closer to the School area...? Grande Bay very busy, noisy and touristy!
Also discovered rental agents expect 2 months rental, 1 month deposit and 1 month agency fees??? Quite hectic!!! Looking for modern fully furnished 3/4 beds accommodation long term rental....where I don't have to put 3/4 months rental down at once!! Seems Moka is the obvious choice for Expats...
If there are any other Expats with teenage children from SA please make contact!!!

Hello,

Hope you are doing well. Saw your post, do you have a number where i can contact you please.

Thanks,
Reshma

Hi...inco with ?

Watch out for posters with single digits postings. All they want is to promote their business instead of responding to the questions you asked.

Since you are in Mont Choisy, ask people around you about rentals by owners. Also check this site for rentals by owners :
http://www.lexpressclassifieds.mu/en/ma … individual

Mind you, there are not that many since it seems that those agencies, which are mushrooming as weeks go by, seem to have the upper hand .

Other solution: Put a wanted ad in the l'Express newspaper and see how many non-agency owners respond ( you may even put that note : no agency needs to reply ) ;)
May be worth it.

Hi there

I have a 15 year old daughter we have been on the island for 9 months. We live in Flic en Flac which is not to far from you. I homeschool my daughter.

Yes housing can be expensive but if you find a holiday place they will give you a good price as some of these place stay empty for ages.

Regards
Patricia

Thank you for the reply and info!! x

Dear Brigette,

Welcome to Mauritius. If you don't like noisy and busy areas, I suggest you visit Grand Gaube which is on the north coast but less 'touristy' than Grand Bay.

Cheers
Gawesh

We really like Tamarin/Black River/La Preneuse.
Being living here for 1 year.
Not many tourists, mostly expats and french-mauritians, really peaceful place.
But transportation might be a problem for your kid.

Also normally you should look for long term apartments. Usually 1 year contract.
Normally you pay agency fee (= 1 month rental), deposit (= 1 month rental), and then rental for the first month.

Hi
I live Calodyne, by the sea, its very peaceful and short drive into Grand Baie. I am from UK and have a friend with a fabulous modern house in Bain Boeuf who has had to go back to UK to look after her parents long term. I have forwarded your post to her in case she's interested. I think her house has four bedrooms and built around a pool, really lovely.

WE FOUND A GREAT AGENT IN THE NORTH CALLED CATHERINE. ***
She askes for the first months rent, and a deposit paid to herself for the commission, so its not so expensive.
It's by far the nicest place to live, and if you don't want to be on the beach there are some lovely houses here.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please recommend in the business directory + contact details should be exchanged through the private messaging system.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
jill4949 wrote:

WE FOUND A GREAT AGENT IN THE NORTH CALLED CATHERINE. ***.
She askes for the first months rent, and a deposit paid to herself for the commission, so its not so expensive.
It's by far the nicest place to live, and if you don't want to be on the beach there are some lovely houses here.

Yes I'd recommend Catherine, she helped couple of friends I know last time.

Hello,

I'd like to draw your attention on a particular detail. Very few Owners/ Agents ask for 4-month advanced payment at one-go in Mauritius. It's a rare case. It all depends on the Landlord's conditions but normally in Mauritius, 3-month payments shall be made on the date of signature and they are classified as follows:

1-month - Advanced payment to the Owner for the rental.
1-month - Deposit to the Owner (this amount is reimbursable at the end of the contract if you keep the property in a good condition when you check-out, which makes sense.
1-month - Real Estate Agency Fee / Commission, for the service brought to the client.

I felt the need to write this down because many Mauritians/ Expatriates have too many wrong impressions on Real Estate Agents. I admit that some might be crooks but all of them are not like this. Registered ones with a permit should be given priority.

Moka is indeed a very nice area. Ebène is not bad too. But the fact that Northfields is in Mapou, it's better to rent a property in the surroundings: Piton/ Belle Vue/ Pereybère/ Grand Bay (near Vingt-pieds road where it's less noisy), Bain Boeuf (less noisy), Calodyne (very peaceful) or even Roches Noires.

Hope I'm not promoting my business.

Wahid Domun

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : please post in the housing section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct