Young Indian woman on PR considering moving to Sydney alone ..

Hi 

I am a young indian woman from India. I am considering to move to Sydney by May-June' 11.. Looking for some suggestions on job front. I have Australian PR.

I have worked for over 9 years in with some reputed MNC's like.
For last 5-6 years i have been into middle management roles, managing teams.
Would need some advice on job front? Would it be challenging to procure a job or would local experience be a mandate ? How long can it take before i land a job?
Is their a way of gettin a job while in India or is that next to impossible kind of scenario ?

Any suggestions,advice would be helpful.

thx
Riya

Hi Riya,

Welcome to Expat.com.

You could take a look at the Life in Australia guide. You'll find articles on the page about visas and work.

Hope this helps :)

Take care

Thanks Haf..

I'll check it out ..

I do have Australian PR? I was wondering if it's easy to find a job on PR & how long can it take before one can get a job?

If anyone give any update .. wud be nice

Thx
Riya

Hi Riya,

To answer your question if it's possible to get a job while you are in India.. the answer could be a yes. I think it all depends on your work experience and if a company thinks you have the work experience that they are looking for.  I've read on some of the forum posts that people have been offered positions before they are even in Australia.

I also have a PR but haven't made the move yet. Most of the jobs in my industry are located in a different city that I want to live in. Therefore, just waiting for the potential opportunity to come. But I did make a visit to Australia and had spoken to several recruiting companies.

What I have been told was that companies prefer that you are in Australia when applying for these jobs. But if you have an expertise in a specific area, the company is willing to interview you on the phone, skype,etc. 

Try visiting seek.com.au , mycareer.com.au , careerone.com.au  which are some online job websites from Australia.  When you apply for a job, make sure you have a cover letter stating that you are planning to move to Australia on that specific time frame.  Also, maybe a month before you plan to move to Australia, start networking with some of the recruiting companies that advertise positions for the online job websites. Each of those companies should have a rep assigned to a specific industry such as healthcare, IT, engineering,etc. Each job posting should have a contact person. Those are usually the reps assigned to that industry. Some of the reps are willing to assist if they feel you have the skills and work experience that the companies they are working for are looking for.  Set up to have an appointment with these recruiter(s) when you arrive so you can start looking for jobs right away.

I have read posts from the internet and other locations that state some people have difficulty finding a job because that specific company said they are looking for them to have experience in Australia. It doesn't make sense since how is a person going to get experience in the country when they just arrived?  I know of someone that this has happened to before and that was years ago. But with persistence, that person was able to find a job. However, considering you've worked with well known global companies, you might have a slight advantage?  I just say that because some of these Australian companies might not recognize some of the companies that an applicant worked for because they are not well known. At least if they are more well known, they can at least gage if the applicant would have the experience or skills that they need. This is all subjective but I'm sure it's hard for the recruiter to be familiar with companies that are not global.

Lastly, it would probably be a good idea if you have enough money to able to stay in Australia 1-2 months in case it is taking you longer to find a job. In addition, depending what type of living accommodation you plan to use, I've read that some of those require some type of advance deposit on top of regular monthly rental. You might want to research this before you arrive because I've been reading that it's becoming competitive finding a nice place to live. Do you know of any friends or friends of relatives that might be living in the Sydney area?  Maybe they can provide some recommendations even for living accommodations?

Good luck.

Hello jb09

Thanks for all the information you provided. It's helpful.
I have been doing some job hunt on seek.com.au & applied for quite a few jobs. However ve not heard from anyone yet. So gettin a job here while in India, seems like an impossible task... :(
I also made my initial entry in Australia earlier & then came back. You are right that companies prefer to interview the candidate face to face. Sure i have my cover letter along with resume all set up.
Yes i have also heard same stuff that recruiters tell that you need to have local experience, so specifically Oz work experience.
Yes so both job & accomodation are big concern. So how to find our that if you need to pay some advance deposit in rent & if payin advance as security deposit is also mandatory ? How much money shd be sufficient to last 2-3 mths without a job ? What is the best source of doing money transfer to get best conversion amt like in my case from INR to $ .. any idea on that ??   

Thx for all info u provided in earlier mail.

Since you stated below that you have visited Australia to get your visa validated, you were able to notice how much things were more/less expensive than where you are from?  You can probably do some type of estimation of costs you pay where you live and adjust it to what it would cost in Australia. For example, a 20 fl oz pepsi bottle cost me around AU$3 while in the USA it normally costs around US$1.40 (depending where it's sold).  I just approximate my monthly expenses and adjust it to what I think it would cost in Australia.

Check out domain.com.au which is a website for housing accommodations (renting, buying, etc.). Just browse around and see how much it would cost to rent an apartment in the area you are interested into living while you look for a job. Some of the postings might indicate if they require a deposit,etc.  If not, and there is a place you are interested in, contact the rep shown.

I'm not sure if anyone can really tell you how much you need for the 3 months. Just because it all depends on what area of Sydney you are interested in living. Also, what type of living standard you are accustomed to. 

In regards to your question getting the best conversion??  When I have traveled to other countries abroad such as Australia, I usually just use my ATM to get the local cash. My bank will charge me a fee for using an external fee and the standard fix percentage for the conversion. I have been told this might be a better conversion compared to exchanging the US dollar to the local currency such as the AUS dollar in those money changing places.  However, since I'm coming from the states, I don't know what other countries use to bring to other countries such as Australia to exchange to the local currency? 

If you are planning to move in May.. After you find a place and have your address available, I would open a bank account in Australia and make the required the deposit. Then do a wire transfer from your bank in India in order to get money converted to the AUS. This is probably the safest thing to do rather than bringing all that cash with you.  Check out some of the Australian bank websites to find out what requirements are needed when opening a bank account.

Everyone's situation is different. You might be lucky and find a job within a month. My comment about you having money to last 2-3 months is just worse case scenario.  Are you looking for permanent jobs or contractual jobs?  In some industries, contractual jobs might be faster to get compared to direct positions.

There are different ways to approach of what I stated above. Just do what you feel comfortable doing. I hope things work out for you!

thanks much for this information .... it's helpful

Hi
I am a PR from India and landed in Australia during May-10.

I was in the middle management level in a reputed Engineering company India.

I have never heard of people getting jobs in Oz while in India.It is a waste of time to try to do this and in the process,make our cv visible.

Come to Australia,check in seek.com and keep on applying.I got a job in the same field in 2 months but not in the middle management level.

Everything is handson and you sometimes feel you have made a wrong decision.But if you endure,I am sure you would emerge confident and sucessful in your career.

I paid 6 months rent in advance,that is AUD 9000 for a very decent house.If you rent an unit,which would be ok for singles and small families,it would cost 1000 dollars.Living cost 1000 dollars for single.

Carry atleast 20000 dollars so that you are not scared at any point of time.

You can open an account in India at CBAwhich has a branch there,carry traveller's cheque and activate the account once you are in Oz.Opening bank account takes 5 minutes in Oz.Just take your passport and your local mobile number.

Pl feel free to ask any questions and I would be glad to share my first hand knowledge.

Hi

Thanks a lot for sharing this information. I am moving to Australia mid Aug 11. Is it possible to chat with you on yahoo or skype id sometime soon ?

Do let me know ...

Thx

Hi Riya,

My experiences and qtns are quit similar to tht of yours. So I dont knw if I shld be happy or sad that we share the similar experiences in the Job application front ;)

Infact when I had been to Melbourne this June, I did meet the regular consultants(Hudson/Hays & the likes) and it was absurd to hear them say; that I had to quit my job and come there and look for a job. I mean, in this day and age of technology they still insist that we have to be present for a face to face interview. I can understand for a final round, but insist for initial rounds as well ??? seems a bit ridiculous.
Nways, jus wanted to knw if u hav taken the plunge and moved ?? and wat r u experiences so far ?

I am plannin for nxt yr ! So would be gud to learn from others experiences and share common ground ( there only lil tht i knw from my trip of 2 weeks to MEL).

Cheers,
aRUN

Hi Arun

Good to hear from you ... yes i finally took the plunge and m here in Sydney since Aug 11... ve'nt got the role that i was lookin for ... m still lookin for my kind of role ... however i ve taken a step down and have joined in a lower level cos once u r here u can't survive without a job as u know ... :)

So still hunt is on for other roles ... let's see how it goes ...

When u r plannin to come next year ... Syd or Mel...

Good luck and stay in touch ... :)

Dear Arun/Riya,

Like Arun, when I visited Sydney and Melbourne before actually moving, I tried to meet with the recruitment agents. Some of them were helpful, they spoke to me and tried to set up meetings. But many of them said that I really need to be in the country before they proceed. Which is why they want us to leave our jobs and come over first.

And I don`t think it`s about being available immediately either. Certainly, that is an advantage; but most of the other candidates may not be available immediately either, so I don`t think it`s a make or break point.

Riya,

I hope things are working out for you :)

All the best,
Hock Siew

Hi Riya/Hock Siew,

Thanks guys for responding. really appreciate it. The funny thing is that, I thought I am the only smart guy around by gettin to meet the consultants when I was there. I was hoping that I will get a job straight away and can then come back and comfortably quit my job. LOL ... I was such a fool ...  or shld i look @ it +vely and say ... there lot of us who think alike.

On a more serious note, I think, the one thing tht is settled is tht when we move we cant be too picky. I knw its easily said than done .... and i dread it the most as I hav a pretty decent job. So the qtn is, how do u guys find it otherwise. Since both of u seemed to hav moved jus bout the sme time ??? Overall do ya like it better than Delhi/KL ??

Riya, am plannin to move mid of nxt yr say b/w Jun-Aug. Lets see how tht goes ........ And I am mostly thinkin MEL ....I jus feel its a more relaxed place then SYD. But am def open to any place.

wish me luck and wishing u the best ....
Do stay in touch

Cheers.
aRUN

arun007 wrote:

Thanks guys for responding. really appreciate it. The funny thing is that, I thought I am the only smart guy around by gettin to meet the consultants when I was there. I was hoping that I will get a job straight away and can then come back and comfortably quit my job. LOL ... I was such a fool ...  or shld i look @ it +vely and say ... there lot of us who think alike.

There is no harm in trying. I personally know someone who did this and succeeded. During his validation trip, he managed to speak to a consultant who managed to get him an interview. He subsequently got the job. It`s rare but it does happen :)

Hi Guys,

How many of you are in Sydney now? Would be nice if we can all decide and catchup and share our experiences. (Also put a face to our names :) ). Lastly, if you are on yahoo or skype or gtalk and would like to chat, drop me an inbox with your login and i will buzz you back.

Regards,
Sumit

Hi,

We r n states and Just got our PR..need to travel to validate and meet up with few agencies....

Feels like a wrong decision, but still hoping tat things wil change for better..

How do thy expect to leave jobs and come there...ridiculous..really worrisome process...

Good morning annierampa and welcome to Expat.com!

Don't hesitate to browse through the Sydney forum  for more effective networking :)

Thanks,

Francesca

Hi annierampa,

It's a personal decision if you plan to leave your current job. It is only recommended if you have the finances to move to Australia without a job lined up yet. Also, it is difficult to determine if a person will find a job quickly. It probably depends what your profession is and if the city you move in has  job opportunities  specific to your profession.

It looks like you have a plan. But from my experience when I did my validation and met up with some agencies was, when are you planning to move? My answer was when I get a job.. One HR rep was willing to assist me. But at the time, the salary of the job posting was not as higher than my current job. But cost of living is her in Australia.

If you are married and both of you are full time workers, one of you could plan to quit your job in US and see how it goes with the job search in Australia. At least there is one of you with a job to help with finances by one of you staying in the US. It's a backup plan in case it's taking longer to find a job in Australia.

The PR visa (175 or 176) is valid for 5 yrs. once you validate it, you have until the visa expires to move to Australia. If your visa expires while you are in Australia, you are still a PR. It's only when you need to travel outside of Australia and need to enter back. You will need a valid PR visa. You will need to apply for a resident return visa. To get the 5 yr RRV, it states in immi.gov.au you need to have a total of 2 yrs residency out of the 5 yrs to be approved. There are other shorter RRV visas if you don't qualify for the 5 yr RRV visa.

Correction on the 5 yr RRV.. It looks like there has been an update since Feb. 2012 in the immi.gov.au website.

Therefore, from 15 February 2012 if a permanent visa holder has not lived in Australia for at least two years in the five years prior to application, but has eligible substantial ties, an RRV will be granted for one year only. Prior to 15 February, the applicant would have been granted a five year RRV.

Hello Everyone...thanks for sharing valuable info...
I am also considering migrating to Sydney very soon....
I am curious to know about IT job market....How quicky one can secure position???
Please guide

Aspirant

hi nice to know about you people. Living abroad is not an easy thing. The only thing that keeps you going is a cheap way to stay connected back home in india. If you want to call India unlimited at flat-rate, dirt-cheap, try vopium.com/call-india. I tried it, definitely recommended!

Folks,

I found this to be the most useful forum in all the recent Internet search that I have been doing on migration to Oz in the last 3 weeks. I'd like a similar, informed opinion from you guys, on my case, just as you ave provided for each other.

My case:
1. Indian, married, age, 34.5 years '; wife is still below 30!
2. I have an Indian MBA, a US PMP, and have a graduation in commerce from India. My wife is a post graduate/ masters' in computer science from a tier-1 institute.
3. I have 11 years' work experience in India. (only international exposure is short project-based visits to the US on work. I have been in market intelligence/market research/business consulting, in tier 1firms(all global brands).
3. My wife is an IT professional with 8 years' experience in technology.(last 2 years', as a business analyst).
4. We intend to move to Oz first least 5 years.
5. Both of us have steady, well-paying jobs here in India. But, need growth, learning and a whole new experience. Kind of saturating in our respective streams.

Options (need your feedback on this):
Option 1. I get admission unto good universities in either Melbourne or Sydney. Open to take up Masters' courses.

So,in this case, I get to work part-time for 40 hours a week, right? What are the usual earnings per month, for this part-time work? Also, if this option is exercised, my wife can work full-time, is what I learn from the immigration website? Question - does she need a pr for that? Or, can she come with me on the student visa, and then work full-time?

Plus, the Oz government now grants a 2year work permit on graduation. Related question - Will it help if I take up a full-time course and be there, to try for pr and jobs, at the end of the course? I may also get some waivers in universities due to my long work ex/ other degrees. Plus, in 2 years' time(by the time I finish my programme), will my wife get a pr before me ( in terms of parallel processing-me study, she works and app,y for pr).

Again, if I study, do these Oz universities have campus placements? And will I be able to shift streams( i am interested in finance and accounting).

Option 2. Directly apply for pr from India.

In this case,I guess the skilled migration programme comes into picture. Unfortunately, my research and consulting work ex is not there in the skilled list. But,my wife's skills of an ICT business analyst is listed. So, can she apply for pr, Andes a full time job sitting in India. Or, does se also have to make trips to Oz for interviews etc? In general, is it slightly easier to get IT jobs in Oz, compared to other categories on the skilled list?

Other questions:

1. I am 34+, and my wife is 29+. Is age a bar to migrate to Oz? Both culturally, and from the government standpoint in terms of promoting younger folks etc. Also, on the skill-based migration, there points for age too. Hence, the question.

Do let me know your thoughts on these questions, I want to get to Oz at the earliest, say, by mid- 2013. Thanks!!

Hi All,

I am planning to relocate to Sydney for marriage purpose . I am currently working in a consulting firm as a Research Analyst. My fiance is a Australian citizen but I am looking to get a job in Sydney from India only.

I do agree with you all that its very difficult to get a job from India. Can someone suggest other than seek.com, my career online websites who can help me to get a job .

If I get a job sooner then I can prepone my wedding as well.

I look forward to your suggestions .

Sue

I think better you move to Melbourne, there lots of works
www.seek.com.au

Is it easier to get a job in consulting in Melbourne ???????????? but my fiance already got a good job in sydney in Accounting ....

Well then he will support you, you will have nothing to worry about
Relax you will be fine.

Thank you .............he will support for sure but i dnt want to be a burden on him and instead enjoy our life ......

So looking for Job opportunities in sydney from India only....

Hi every one..

Rqst your view point on my below mentioned case:

My PR to aussie is under processing & in another 3 months time, it'll be done.

Background:

I've applied for Financial advisor skill which is a state sponsorship i.e. Sub class 190 & have choosed Sydney as a city from other 2 city options available to me.

I've few qstns:

1. As I've heard that u shud have local work experience of australia in order to get ur kind of skill job. Now pls advise,if I am not going to get my Financial advisor job at starting, should i pick up any job to get experience, money & whether that job will add to my local experience? Or my prospective employer would reject my CV as I had worked at a place which had spoil my CV(Macdonals job etc...)????

2. Is it difficult to even get low paid jobs?(working in a mall... or pizza shop.. delivery boy etc..). What wud u say for a person like me who is good in conversing & has a OK plesant personality too????

3. I know racism exist every whr, infact in India too. But pls advise whether Indians are given less preference for jobs in comparison to other nationality.

4. I am from middle class family & have alwazs lived in a good standard of living. Pls try to answer my specific question on living expense in sydney for my type of simple guy??? Is that 1500 AUD is enough. pls include all i.e. rent, basic veg food, travelling for attending interviews, No booz or fag.... ( pls say.. "it depnds")

5. How much time u need to spend in australia in order to apply for citizenship?

6. If my parents wants to come & live with me in sydney once I am going to get settle... Who will take care of their medicals? Is medical for dependent parents will be the responsibility of aussie govt? or It will just be limited to me, my spouse & my kid only.....

Apologies for asking many questions..... I've few more questions which requires ur attention at a later date. I'd also like to leave my Delhi number & will be more then happy to talk to any one who wants to share their experince or have some thing important to discuss with me.. My Cell No: 91-9899-061-820 (Rohit)... my email id is [email protected]

Where ever you choose to settle in Australia it will not be cheap to live. 

1. You may have to look at perhaps a part time position in your field of expertise until you get the necessary local experience. So a second job will be needed. No reasonable employer will penalize you for working a second job in McDonald's or as a cleaner. Many Australians work 2 jobs.

2. Work is not easy to get. Lots of unemployment here, but for those who are willing to work there is always something but expect the pay to be low and tax high.

3. Racism exists here in Australia as it does around the world. You are bound to strike it some time or another.

4. Living expenses are high in Australia. For cost of living and other information try this website www.numbeo.com 

5. Check www.immi.gov.au for length of time for citizenship.

6. You will have take care of your own family  medical expenses.
    Also you will be expected to have medical insurance to cover        your parents when they are here.
Australians are now expected to have their own medical insurance cover as the government wants to reduce the costs on medicare cover it has to pay each year. The younger you are and the sooner you get the insurance the cheaper it is. For this do a Google search ' health insurance australia' and you will be able to find out monthly costs.

hello riya, '
hope u doing good.
I have just secured my PR for AUS, would be glad if you could assit me with certain details, do drop a reply pls'
rgds
Anesh bhaskaran

Hi Anesh bhaskaran,

For more replies, it would be best if you could create a new discussion on the Sydney forum as this thread is quite old.

Please specify all your questions to better guide you.

I am sure the members will provide you with some useful information very soon.

Best of luck,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

Hi riya
How n where you found the job in sydney, I came here last month on or, still unable to find any

I am from India..!!i am just 20 years of age but i m working due to some sort of crisis in family..Now i am looking forward to work in Australia,Sydney..as i want to settle out..!but as i told u i m the only support and i dont have a good financial support..!i have tried going on student visa,but no use!!as i atleast need around 10 lakhs in my account (atleast for 1 year course)which i dont have..i want to go there on my skills..!i have completed 10+2 last year (2013)and now i am doin my work..!!tried fpr graduation but the university ditched me by saying that they wont provide degree after taking the fees!so unfortunately i left it..!but ofcourse i have experience and want to go.!some people are telling me if u dont get the work permit then try for tourist visa and take visa on arrival,is it safe??and please acknowledge me with the best of ur knowledge..!!but in any case i have to go australia!!plz help me plz😭

aimen49 wrote:

I am from India..!!i am just 20 years of age but i m working due to some sort of crisis in family..Now i am looking forward to work in Australia,Sydney..as i want to settle out..!but as i told u i m the only support and i dont have a good financial support..!i have tried going on student visa,but no use!!as i atleast need around 10 lakhs in my account (atleast for 1 year course)which i dont have..i want to go there on my skills..!i have completed 10+2 last year (2013)and now i am doin my work..!!tried fpr graduation but the university ditched me by saying that they wont provide degree after taking the fees!so unfortunately i left it..!but ofcourse i have experience and want to go.!some people are telling me if u dont get the work permit then try for tourist visa and take visa on arrival,is it safe??and please acknowledge me with the best of ur knowledge..!!but in any case i have to go australia!!plz help me plz😭

Welcome to the forum

Unless you have a skill that is on the skills list, have qualifications and experience you will not get a visa to work in Australia.
Do not come over on a tourist visa and then work as this is illegal and you will be deported. 
Work is very hard for locals to get as unemployment is rising, so expats will find it near impossible to find a job. 

To be honest, on what you have said in your post you have no chance of getting work or a student visa in Australia.

Hmmm :( thnxx

Hi Riya,

I have moved to Sydney with PR  three weeks before and hunting for job, I'm surprised that not even single call I received till now. Slowly started getting fear :-( as I left my job in India and moved here. Even I'm into middle management level in IT and ready to work as a developer now, do you have any suggestion or help for me :( that would be great.