Maybe moving to Alicante? anyone there who can give pros & cons?

Hello all,

My wife may be getting offered a job in ALicante, we are British and live in the UK.
It would be a big move but an opportunity probably would not come along again so would like to consider it. However, we have a few questions if anyone can help?

Her employment would be next to Sant Joan d'Alacant so we would like to rent somewhere within easy bus distance so can anyone recomend a nice please near by? Somewhere ideally that has lots of British Expats/shops and a friendly area.

In terms of renting, where to rent a property from? ie names of any reputable letting agents, what to avoid when renting etc?

Also we wanted to know should we bring our car or not? Its obviously a right hand drive. WOuld that be a problem? WHat is the average cost to bringing it? We would be flying down and not driving.

My wife speaks Spanish but I do not.
Can anyone recomend a good Junior age school for children near that area? no a private school though or any good nurserys?

What are the pros and cons of living in ALicante compared to the UK?

Does Spain have a siesta all year around? and what times are they normally? do all companies have a siesta?

Also what about health insurance? how would we sort that out?

Thank you all in advance.

Depending on how long your wife will be employed in Spain, if it's over a year, I would not bother with the car. You would have to change license plates, import tax. It is too much bother in my eyes. Sell it back in the UK and use the money to buy a car in Spain.

Thanks, which bank would be a good bank to use in Spain to have a UK income paid into and for my wifes salary which will be paid in Euros into?

also direct on the tram line to San Joan also no changes would be great.

Can anyone recomend some good reputable letttings agents that others have used and been happy with please?

We lived in Playa de Sant Juan for 2 years 2010-2012.  We rented a house overlooking the golf course.  It was the same kind of price as a flat closer to the beach but with our own garden, garage, etc.  You could walk to the Hospital in about 15 minutes.  Mostly Spanish but some foreigners too.  Lot's of space and close to the Tram.  Not much around other than houses.  Miriam Blasco has bars & restaurants, also on the Tram line, nice area but you'll get an apartment for the same price as a house on the golf course.  If you want the sea view be prepared to pay.

El Campallo which is the next town up the coast has more Brits and retired people.  Bernies does English food and tends to be the place to meet other Brits.

You can have a look for rental properties on these 2 sites.
https://www.idealista.com/alquiler-viviendas/alicante/www.pisos.com/alquiler/pisos-alicante/