Mood stabilizers / antidepressants

I been asked this question by a few members over the last year and some have posted but I have not yet seen a good answer.

Do regular general practitioners are able to prescribe antidepressants and mood stabilizers or do people need to make appointment with a psychiatrist ?

Given that some statistics I seen say that 15 percent or more of the population takes them in PR, I am assuming the general practitioners can prescribe it.

Help me out here or send me a PM if you feel uncomfortable posting here.
Thanks
Rey

General practitioners can prescribe them, but some of the rules are different here.

Anti anxiety meds like Xanax, for example: you need a very specific prescription and if the dr leaves out 1 little piece of the puzzle it cannot be filled. You can also not refill a prescription for it here from the mainland (even though you can for other drugs).

The run-of-the-mill antidepressants are basically the same as the rest of the US.

Hope that helps!

suzanne12345 wrote:

General practitioners can prescribe them, but some of the rules are different here.

Anti anxiety meds like Xanax, for example: you need a very specific prescription and if the dr leaves out 1 little piece of the puzzle it cannot be filled. You can also not refill a prescription for it here from the mainland (even though you can for other drugs).

The run-of-the-mill antidepressants are basically the same as the rest of the US.

Hope that helps!

Anxiety is VERY COMMON in PR or at least people use it as an excuse to not being able to work and be in government assistance. They say "tengo problems con los nervios" - translation: I have problems with my nerves. I know personally a lot of people with this problem.

So it could depend on the specific drug as to be able to easily fill them or not based on how I read that.

Exactly!

Hello,

Good question..

As a licensed Psychotherapist working on this Island for 20 years... I can give you the following answers:

A GP can give you prescriptions ... any Doctor can.  Problem with that is that there is no other mental health professional following the person that the med is given to. 

For example:  If you are given an antidepressant by a Doctor or even a Psychiatrist, you should be seen by a mental health Professional for follow-up like a Psychologist or Psychotherapist, that can assure you are changing your cognitive and behavioral issues as well as being medicated.  Most Doctors don't tell you this and keep you on meds for years...which eventually harms the liver, kidneys and does not solve the problem.

I personally work with people on a holistic basis... treating the mind, body, soul through various techniques, that don't require drugs.  The drugs are only supposed to balance the serotonin... not a cure all and you should not really be on them more than a year.  Hope that helps.. be happy to private message any further concerns or questions... Lynn

Very good point, JourneyandBeyond.  Bless you in your work!