How to make friends in Shenzhen

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in Shenzhen :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Shenzhen??

Thanks in advance for your participation

seems it is easier to make business friends in Shenzhen.

It is easy. pls contact with me. my email is

Learn mandarin in a language school, you'll meet loads of friends there.

Nice 2 meet u! Shenzhen is an open city, she welcomes the friends all over the world, just take it easy and have fun.

Expat.com wrote:

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in Shenzhen :top:

that's a very good question...I have been here for almost 2 years now and sure it is not easy to make friends here

We can be friend, I am from abroad too.

Hi,
Email me, if you hope to make friend with me.
I have lived here for 5 years, and can help you everything here.
[email protected]

I am a local cantonese living in Nanshan ,Shenzhen.I also feel not easy to make friends.any one who like to make friends or any help in business site? we can have a talk.
my skpye:francy20058305

Hello, i am a chinese girl live in Shenzhen, welcome to China, every expat! I think make friends is not hard as long as we find the right person. I like the saying " Birds of a feather flock together". I like climb mountain, reading, travel, and shopping, chatting online...If you live in Shenzhen, let's meet and enjoy life together!  Cheers!

Tiffany915 wrote:
DorisLee wrote:

Hello, i am a chinese girl live in Shenzhen, welcome to China, every expat! I think make friends is not hard as long as we find the right person. I like the saying " Birds of a feather flock together". I like climb mountain, reading, travel, and shopping, chatting online...If you live in Shenzhen, let's meet and enjoy life together!  Cheers!

Hey... you sound really cool.. would love to hear from you and perhaps hang out sometime? I love out-door activities too!

Hi, My skype is: doris.lee1020, would like to know you. Cheers!

jameslowe wrote:
Expat.com wrote:

that's a very good question...I have been here for almost 2 years now and sure it is not easy to make friends here

yep, i feel so too

Hi guys, I'm from Italy, my name is Matteo 马修 and I live in Shekou.
I'll be staying here in Shenzhen at least until September and would like to make some friends. I can speak Italian, English and Mandarin, so I should have no problem wherever you come from :D
My email address is [email protected]

HI MY NAME IS FEDERICO AND I ALSO COME FROM ITALY BUT WAS BORN IN USA SO SPEAK FLUENTLY ENGLISH. IM STAYING IN SHANGHAI AND ALSO TRAVEL TO SHENZEN FOR WORK AND WOULD LIKE TO MEET NEW PEOPLE TO SHOW ME AROUND AND LEARN MAYBE CHINESE.
MY EMAIL IS [email protected]
TALK SOON!

Hi and welcome on board Federico :)

Please avoid using caps lock when posting on the forum!

Thanks and regards
Armand

hi armand thanks! can you help me and tell me why when i try to send messages it tells me to write on forum like :
Your message hasn't been sent. In order to prevent spam issues, the private message system is not fully activated for new users. Have you presented yourself on the forum ? Please exchange a few messages with us on the forum, and we will fully activate the private message system. Thank you !
what should i do?

Everything is explained here : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23238

Armand

Hi,I am a Chinese,male,want to make friends with the poeple from abroad,if you want,feel free to contact me,my E-mail is [email protected]. I worked in a multinational company in Nanshan District ,thanks.

How about having some gathering? We can make friends then...

Let's see how enthusiastic are we(Chinese).

hey,

my name is Tom (21yrs)
i m french

I just sign in For 6 month internship in shenzhen

I look forward to meet some foreigners, because I'm the only one in my company.

Hi,

I am Guillaume(or william, as people here call me, since they can't pronounce my french name).

I just started a 5 months internship and would love to meet other expats!

I live in futian district, very close to the Qiaoxiang metro station.

maya.l wrote:

Nice 2 meet u! Shenzhen is an open city, she welcomes the friends all over the world, just take it easy and have fun.

Same as ur situation when was in London

Hello Lymdee and welcome to Expat.com! :)

Maybe you can introduce yourself and tell us how you manage to make friends in Shenzhen.

Thank you,
Aurélie

One thing's for sure: people in Shenzhen are not easy to make friends with. They're strictly here to make money, nothing more. I've tried socializing with 100's of people here. Ultimately, they just want to know what they can gain from you. Through it all, I've only been able to accumulate a few "real" friends.

Therefore, if your definition of friends is texting each other sometimes, meeting once every 2 months with a group of other people, then that may be enough for you. Personally, I consider a friend someone I am fond of, enjoy being around, I can talk to OPENLY, and I can rely on them in the event I have an emergency or major problem. Someone who makes time and can share it with you often. That doesn't mean everyday or even once a week. But it also doesn't mean once every 2 or 3 months with little or no communication in between. So far, only a few fall into my "friends" category in China.

I have no problem meeting people. The problem lies in their sincerity and interest to make friends. Honestly, I've met more hospitable people in 3rd world countries who live in small shacks..even offering me dinner. In China, not ever had such an offer...and I've been here a long time.

This society in China has been raised to focus exclusively on money. When you are raised this way, you can't expect anyone to enjoy your company, listen to your complaints about money, working all the time because you don't have hobbies or can't do anything else such as volunteer ( a term that does not exist here). All and all, I've learned to be passive here.

Yes, they "claim" to want to make friends with foreigners. But this is a guise to save face. Actions do speak louder than words. And, excuses don't cut it for me.

My best tip for making friends here: BE PASSIVE.

Tip 2: If you want to make real friends: Don't get caught up in their texting or chatting schemes. Demand face to face meetings or delete them. They WILL waste your time if you allow them. After all, if they just want text or chat mates, they don't really want genuine friends. Watch out, it's a trap you should avoid here.

Tip 3: give them 3 chances to attend an event, meeting, dinner etc with you. After the 3rd invite and they can't make any of them, delete them. They're not serious. Be cognizant of lame excuses also. Some get deleted more quickly than others. One person told me "I can't go. I have to go home and chat on my computer with me friends." <
If you enjoy this type of people, you can have 100's of "friends" here. If you believe in more meaningful friendships and wish not to waste your valuable time, take my tips to heart. They will save you much time, money and you won't be disheartened. Superficial or realistic, you decide.

I wish you all good luck in seeking "friends" in China.

lscraffy wrote:

One thing's for sure: people in Shenzhen are not easy to make friends with. They're strictly here to make money, nothing more. I've tried socializing with 100's of people here. Ultimately, they just want to know what they can gain from you. Through it all, I've only been able to accumulate a few "real" friends.

Therefore, if your definition of friends is texting each other sometimes, meeting once every 2 months with a group of other people, then that may be enough for you. Personally, I consider a friend someone I am fond of, enjoy being around, I can talk to OPENLY, and I can rely on them in the event I have an emergency or major problem. Someone who makes time and can share it with you often. That doesn't mean everyday or even once a week. But it also doesn't mean once every 2 or 3 months with little or no communication in between. So far, only a few fall into my "friends" category in China.

I have no problem meeting people. The problem lies in their sincerity and interest to make friends. Honestly, I've met more hospitable people in 3rd world countries who live in small shacks..even offering me dinner. In China, not ever had such an offer...and I've been here a long time.

This society in China has been raised to focus exclusively on money. When you are raised this way, you can't expect anyone to enjoy your company, listen to your complaints about money, working all the time because you don't have hobbies or can't do anything else such as volunteer ( a term that does not exist here). All and all, I've learned to be passive here.

Yes, they "claim" to want to make friends with foreigners. But this is a guise to save face. Actions do speak louder than words. And, excuses don't cut it for me.

My best tip for making friends here: BE PASSIVE.

Tip 2: If you want to make real friends: Don't get caught up in their texting or chatting schemes. Demand face to face meetings or delete them. They WILL waste your time if you allow them. After all, if they just want text or chat mates, they don't really want genuine friends. Watch out, it's a trap you should avoid here.

Tip 3: give them 3 chances to attend an event, meeting, dinner etc with you. After the 3rd invite and they can't make any of them, delete them. They're not serious. Be cognizant of lame excuses also. Some get deleted more quickly than others. One person told me "I can't go. I have to go home and chat on my computer with me friends." <
If you enjoy this type of people, you can have 100's of "friends" here. If you believe in more meaningful friendships and wish not to waste your valuable time, take my tips to heart. They will save you much time, money and you won't be disheartened. Superficial or realistic, you decide.

I agree with some points and tip you just mentioned. However, it's not that bad. I live here with my family for 2 months and I have some family friends who don't care what business I'm running here...

I wish you all good luck in seeking "friends" in China.

give it time...2 months is not getting settled in yet.

Hey guys,
Anybody interested in having a drink or dinner, I will be there the for 6 days starting from this Saturday.

Abdo~

Can you organize gathering? I want to meet new friends too!

need open minded friends in nanshan or shenzen...

:) me base in luohu near KK Mall anyone near there can catch up if anyone interested ...

lscraffy wrote:

I need to agree with you 100%.  My exwife is chinese and learning more of her customs and traditions, "money" is so ingrained in their culture and traditions that it has even been a saying to them for over a thousand years.  "Happy new year, good health and wealth"  and every store as the little cat "bring me money".  I bought a really neat looking coin bank made from bamboo at a garage sale in the US.  She said the chinese on the side said "bring money into my home".

To the original poster, try going to an english class and meet an expat teacher.  You'll be able to gather some information about gatherings for expat outings, like the movies or dinner in a big group.

Take care, good luck

hi everybody my name is Dannoux i am from Paris and i live in futian since one month and i want to meet more poeple to go out and have some friends dont hesite to contact me i am open !
see ya!!

Hey all- My name is Devin and I am teaching in Beijing at the moment... but after visiting Shenzhen for a few days over the weekend... I realized how much more I preferred it over Beijing. I was only in town for a few days, and am wondering if I was just so happy to be out of the pollution and freezing cold that I only saw what I wanted to see. Been seeing a lot of negative things online from the expat community bout Shenzhen... was wondering if the social aspect is as bleak as it seems online! Trying to decide if I want to relocate to Shenzhen!

I've been to Shenzhen several times during different seasons.  The winter days are mild but get really cold night.  The days are pretty hot with a lot of humidity in the summer. 

I'm use to both coming from the Lake Michigan coastline but Shenzhen's weather has extreme swings from one to the next.

Other then that, it is a very beautiful city that's growing fast.  Would love to live there too and I'm sure I would get use to the weather.

Good Luck

i also will be in shenzhen next week and i hope i can meet some friendly people to hang out with and show me the city

Hi all, my name is Cecile and I'll be in Shenzhen for my first time next week for 3 days until saturday and would love to meet some people to talk , have a drink or hang out together, please do not hesitate to contact me if you're available! Cheers

i live very very close to shenzhen but my town is part of dongguan but i am much closer to shenzhen than dongguan city itself. I dont always go out by myself but if i do i hang out at dongmen market.

makings friends is easy especially when you are a foreigner but the SINCERITY is not there. they want to make friends with you because they want you to help them learn English. Lots of Chinese people have visited our place but only came one time.. then they'll never see you again unless you are interested on their business and wants to partners. Some people think foreigners millionaires so they tend to be friendly hoping you will pour out some $$$ for their business to grow. I intend no offense to Chinese people. this is just my observation. I have been here for 4 years now so i know how it works.

like i said... makings friends here is easy... but how deep do you want your friendship to be? just online chatting?