How to bring your car to Uganda

Hello everybody,

If you exported your car to Uganda, were there any formalities that needed to be completed beforehand? What were they?

What is the best way to export your car? Is there a limit on the number of vehicles, or perhaps the age of the vehicle? Are there limits on emissions or emission controls in Uganda?

What are the expected costs of exporting a car? In your opinion, is it worth it?

Once you arrived in Uganda, what were the applicable taxes? What was the customs process like?

How do you go about registering an imported car in Uganda?

Is it best to buy a car once you have arrived or to bring your car with you, in your opinion?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Bhavna

Hi Bhavna

You might find more relevant important info on the URA website https://www.ura.go.ug/, the Uganda Revenue Authority, so it's better if you have all the papers to do with your vehicle, as it will be subjected to a mandatory inspection to see it it's road-worthy. Expect to be charged some minimal street parking fees on selected few areas. If it's a luxury posh car, you might pay a relatively higher than usual import duty

Dear Bavna,
In 2014, I imported and rare antique vehicle from Canada. The process at that time was rather painless. My car has RED license plate ( duty exempt) as I was an expat that had valid working permit that allowed one duty free importation.

The vehicle was checked in Canada to ensure it was not stolen.

The vehicile will need to be inspected in the county of origin by Veritas, SGS etc before you can import. This is a new requirement.

Was it worth it - yes. This is no ordinary vehicle so it is well worth it. For a normal utility vehicle, it may be best to buy one here - my opinion.

Caveat, I am no experts so information provided should be checked with local authorities.

~K

Hi kgyem47 and klalani,

thank you very much for your precious feedbacks  :)

Bhavna