How to bring your car to Montenegro

Hello everybody,

If you exported your car to Montenegro, were there any formalities that needed to be completed beforehand? What were they?

What is the best way to export your car? Is there a limit on the number of vehicles, or perhaps the age of the vehicle? Are there limits on emissions or emission controls in Montenegro?

What are the expected costs of exporting a car? In your opinion, is it worth it?

Once you arrived in Montenegro, what were the applicable taxes? What was the customs process like?

How do you go about registering an imported car in Montenegro?

Is it best to buy a car once you have arrived or to bring your car with you, in your opinion?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Bhavna

Hello, Bhavna! Have you been answered? I have the same questions today.

Best, Alex

Hi I bought a second hand car 4 or 5 years ago there are a lot of people selling second hand cars just before you enter the town of cetinje.
The quality of cars has improved in the last 4 or 5 years as most of them are being imported from Italy Germany and France .
The reason I bought my car in Montenegro was because I didn't want to go through all the hassle of importing one from Ireland and also we don't drive on the same side of road.You can find out import taxes on the Montenegro goverment web site or else someone else might know .
Regarding registration of the vehicle this can be done in the nearest  MUP office. If you are insuring your car in Montenegro you will have to get a MOT and there are lots of test centres that do this.
The test is not to difficult to pass but make sure all your lights are working and you also must have first aid kit and hi vis vest in case of breakdown.
Car insurance is quite resonable in Montenegro and you can also take extra breakdown assistance cover .
I have my car put in my friends name because at the time it was not easy to put it in my name due to restrictions but I think it is much easier to do this now .Maybe someone else on the expat site might have more information .

Hi,

I am soon moving to Montenegro and have exactly the same questions!
I am also wondering about the procedure to exchange your driving license to a Montenegrin one.

Carole

Hi this is an update to my post on the 6th of April about registration of a car in Montenegro. Previously I had my car in my friends name and I was using his registration card for the car to drive it and while this did not cause any major problems I would often be asked when crossing the border with the car about ownership of the car .
I had made an agreement in a notaries office with my friend to allow me take the car across the border.
I decided to put the car in my own name so I would be longer asked about ownership when crossing the border.
To do this I needed to have temporary residentancy .
I have my car currently registered in April and my temporary residence permit comes up for renewal every year in August so I had to take out insurance  cover from April to august and then I must renew insurance when my temporary residence card comes due for renewal in August again.
I would recommend that anyone who is taking out temporary residence  and also were also thinking of buying a car in Montenegro would this at the same time of the year.

Hi Kumbor. I am moving to Montenegro from the UK soon and will have residency. Do insurance companies insure cars on a comprehensive basis or is it all third party?

Do you know of anyone who has had problems with claims?

Hi Michael ,
I have just third party insurance on my car so I am not in a position to able to give you a price for comprehensive insurance.
  I am sure comprehensive insurance is available with some of the companies.I can give you a contact number for my insurance company if you PM me .
I am not sure about claims in Montenegro .Regards.

I did not understand anything. I am searching over 3 days how I can come with my car, and then to register it.  (after I have the residence card). I cant find even the authority that issue the plates. Can you tell me even the name of the authority in order to contact them?

"You can find out import taxes on the Montenegro goverment web site" ---> haha okeyyy, there are not! If you can post the link I will be grateful

"Regarding registration of the vehicle this can be done in the nearest  MUP office. If you are insuring your car in Montenegro you will have to get a MOT "   ---> What is MUP and what is MOT?

I live in dubai and i got married to montonegain girl and im planing to ship my car from dubai to montonegro ,, will i be able to regster car in Montenegro and will the they custom the car or accept this car from dubia ?????

And i got my resident card but the problem is not the card the problem they told me that i cant bring the car here as its not Europe car or something like that but how when i see everyday cars in montonegro of same brand as its passat cc 2012

You need to contact the  customs department for information on this. The car probably does not comply with the latest European rules regarding importation of cars into the country.
The cost of shipping is very expensive as are import duties, having the vehicle checked for compliance with European emission standards. These standards are very high and if your vehicle does not comply then is will be very expensive to fix.
Shipping costs will be around US$2000 or more.

Try emailing to [email protected]  Also do a Google search for detailed information.

You should consider selling the car then buying a vehicle in Montenegro. Lot less hassle.

Thanks alot for your help and for ur answer 🤗🤗🤗

Does anyone know what the yearly costs for car ownership are in Montenegro? Inspection, yearly registration / tax etc.

Also, is the transfer tax based on the price paid for a second hand car or is there another system that the gov uses?

Many thanks

What is the best way to own and drive a car in Montenegro without having residency….?  Is this even possible..? 

I own an apartment in Becici but the developer is taking forever to annex my (our) names for deed and title…” could take another year.”  So applying for temporary residency is futile until this happens….looks like shipping a car is the only option…any thoughts…? 

Hi never exchange numbers, you will have costs each years and more problems.

you need to drive vehicules normaly to the country and they stay here, there is no obligation to re register