How to bring your car to Mauritius

Hello everybody,

If you exported your car to Mauritius, were there any formalities that needed to be completed beforehand? What were they?

What is the best way to export your car? Is there a limit on the number of vehicles, or perhaps the age of the vehicle? Are there limits on emissions or emission controls in Mauritius?

What are the expected costs of exporting a car? In your opinion, is it worth it?

Once you arrived in Mauritius, what were the applicable taxes? What was the customs process like?

How do you go about registering an imported car in Mauritius?

Is it best to buy a car once you have arrived or to bring your car with you, in your opinion?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Bhavna

The problems in bringing a car fro say the United Kingdom is that spare parts despite perhaps being a well known make may not be easy to obtain as the appropriate model in Mauritius may have different part numbers etc.  Another problem is the amount of office hopping even if you use a broker, you go to one office to pay import duty , another office for registration duty and another office for the log book etc.  Once your car is released from the customs pound at the docks it can take you at least a full day going round and round Port Louis as you will need a FITNESS TEST first before you can register the car that takes place to the south of the City at Cassis in a side street near the UBS garage then you have to go to the 'FORMS" building in the centre of Port Louis where everyone seems to have to go to get something . Once registered you need to go back to the NTA at Cassis to another building and get your log book and tax disc.   I was lucky with my car being a Diesel as I got a good discount on the import duty because of meeting the very strict EU Co2 emissions rules.  One point to note is that if you get any discount on the revenue figure you are to be aware that if you sell or dispose of the car within 4 years they(NRA) may claim back the discount they gave you.  Would I do it again yes as unless you buy a new car here you never know how the car has been driven in Mauritius as you can see every day cars here never seem to be driven properly i.e braking reasonably or in the right gears etc.

Hi there,

Well for me it was not much difficult to get a car. I am a mauritian by citizenship.

So, it was easy to get here. Struggling to make friends though. lol

Contact me :***

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Lelie Jarrett, that's a very useful amount of information. I would say spot on.
I agree on highlighting caution of buying 2nd hand vehicles as its true it is a gamble buying into a cars history inMauritius that you don't really know. Dealers will be quick to sell but I'm not sure any 'limited warranty' offered by such dealers would stick. I recently got a 2nd hand but decent car ... However It was bought from another family member selling. Buying from someone you know well is perhaps the better solution to buying a 2nd hand vehicle. There are no doubt some good 2nd hand cars out there but no real way to tell which ones. So although it sounds long winded to bring ones own vehicle across from abroad into Mauritius it is probably also a safer bet. (Unless of course buying new)

I bought a second hand car in Mauritius from a French Expat who totally misrepresented the vehicle to me and had a mauritian agent as go between ...to cut a long story short ....the car cost Rs 220 k and it needs a new motor and work and parts that will cost Rs 180 k ....result ....I am scrapping the car and blame the people ....'tazars grands fonds! .....who fooled me hook line and sinker....as I have no recourse for redress.  Be very wary when you buy from Individuals and always have the vehicle checked over by a professional mechanic before paying up...and ask to see the paperwork first ...the vehicle I bought was not registered in the sellers name....my mistake to trust people ...I am furious. ..

Lizzie P, that's a shame but sadly a valid and stern warning which you've rightly highlighted. It is not uncommon for such occurances in Mauritius and the trust item should be "don't trust" until or unless you have really taken a lot of effort to validate things before handing over money. Was sorry to read of your loss.
Hope you've managed to find another vehicle solution.

Hi,

Im Jo, im Mauritian and i work abroad in the Uae for 4years now! Looking to go back in Mauritius. Im looking to ship my car which i bought here in the UAE, a Volkswagen Golf Gti year 2006, 2.0 litres engine with turbo to Mauritius. Was just wondering if it worth it to ship the car back home. Since its true, the prices for used cars are ridiculously very expensive there in Mauritius. I bought the car in UAE  for $4k. What are the procedures to ship my car to Mauritius. The documents that i need to provide to the customs etc... much appreciated

Can I get some help plese. Thanks

Hello Smarto,

Should you have any questions, I would advise you to create a new topic on Mauritius forum,
as this one is quite old.  :)

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.Com Team.