How to bring your car to Malta

Hello everybody,

If you exported your car to Malta, were there any formalities that needed to be completed beforehand? What were they?

What is the best way to export your car? Is there a limit on the number of vehicles, or perhaps the age of the vehicle? Are there limits on emissions or emission controls in Malta?

What are the expected costs of exporting a car? In your opinion, is it worth it?

Once you arrived in Malta, what were the applicable taxes? What was the customs process like?

How do you go about registering an imported car in Malta?

Is it best to buy a car once you have arrived or to bring your car with you, in your opinion?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Bhavna

See here: http://www.transport.gov.mt/land-transp … individual

The topic has been discussed thoroughly on this forum anyway...

Thanks Bernie for sharing link

Hi Bhavna

For How long are you going to be there ?
Where are you now

Kevin

Kevin, Bhavna is one of the moderators on this forum...

Don't is the answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its the worse and dis-organised and biased process that is meant to prevent import of cars by the Maltese motor industry but ends up discriminating against foreigners - Malta is being consistently fined by the EU but revenue on exorbitant registration fees - (Import tax bu any other name) exceeds fines.

Lothianba wrote:

Don't is the answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .

Under the right circumstances it's worth it.

Like for like importing mine was 6k cheaper than buying once I get here. Use your own brain and do the math to decide for yourself and your own circumstances

I brought a 2.5yr old car and it was totally worth it.  Because I owned the car for over 2 yrs and it was the first car I brought here I didn't have to pay the registration tax. If you want to know how much registration tax your car would incur you can use this link to find out http://www.vehicleregistration.gov.mt/
Total cost for me to register my Mini was €333.75, that was €70 for the plates, €100 for the Finance Ministry Exemption, €55 for the Inspection, €15 administration fee and the rest was road licence for 9 months (up to when my insurance was due, you pay insurance and road tax together here).

Yes, it can all be a bit disorganised, but if you have a little patience and you talk reasonably to the staff, for the most part they are very helpful.

A quick summary of the process is as follows:-

1. You have 30 days from the day the car arrives in Malta to register your car. Be sure to keep the import or ferry documents for the car coming into the country.
1a. If its your first car and you have owned it for 2 yrs or more you can apply for Tax Registration Exemption. Download the VEH07 form, complete it carefully and collect as much of the documentation they require as you can to accompany the form, more is better. Do this sooner rather than later, the process is not a quick one. Take it to Transport Malta and hand it in (ask at main desk they will tell you where) They will give you a receipt for it.

You then wait to hear from the transport Ministry. They will acknowledge receipt of your paperwork and eventually send you a temporary permit for you to use the vehicle until your case is decided, be sure to have organised your Maltese car insurance (they will allow you third party until you get your new plates).
I received my exemption within a month of the temporary permit arriving.

2. While you wait, download the VEH01 and VEH02 forms, complete carefully (if there is anything you are unsure of leave blank and ask, the terminology is a little different), collect all the documentation they require.

3. Apply for your odometer verification certificate by applying to your country of origin, UK is applied for through www.jevic.co.uk, cost just shy of £35.

4. When you have all the documentation you need take  it all and a screwdriver to Transport Malta, you need the screwdriver if you are driving the said vehicle, you will need to take the plates in with you. The main office closes at 12.30, I advise you get there by at the latest 11 to ensure you get all processed in one hit.

5. When you arrive at the Transport Malta park the car in one of the bays near the steps, the car needs to be checked by their inspector, he is usually hanging about outside. If not go into the office accessed on ground level and let them know you are waiting to be checked. this takes about 30 mins or so. This office will issue you with a form to take upstairs to the main office.

6. Go up to the main office and ask for a ticket, be sure to tell them its to register a foreign car, usually a ticket no for desk G. Then wait your turn....

Patience and preparation is KEY ........ If you are not sure about something then call their helpline.....they are very helpful

Hi,  I drove my car to Malta from the uk in February, moving here permanently, did what Grumpy movers did and now its sorted, just make sure you have all the paperwork, the exemption tax can take awhile, I went to the VAT offices in person  to sort it out but you get there in the end ,( everyone says "its the Malta way ").,

Yes everything here is almost correct but if you are not Maltese you can bring your car here for 6 months not 30 days provided you insure it after 30 days with a Maltese company.

Transport Malta have moved to Poala, get there before 7.00am, its the tallest building you can see by the big roundabout near Marsa.

You will need a drill and a screw driver the plates are aluminium with no holes in them.

MOST IMPORTANTLY , you cannot register the car without your ID residency card, get that first.

john champion wrote:

Yes everything here is almost correct but if you are not Maltese you can bring your car here for 6 months not 30 days provided you insure it after 30 days with a Maltese company.

but once you have a id card, you have to get it done within 30 days.

no you don't if you have applied for the import tax exemption it is 30 days from when you receive the exemption certificate not 30 days from when you get your ID. Assuming you have your ID in place you then apply for the tax exemption. In my case this took 6 months.

john champion wrote:

no you don't if you have applied for the import tax exemption it is 30 days from when you receive the exemption certificate not 30 days from when you get your ID. Assuming you have your ID in place you then apply for the tax exemption. In my case this took 6 months.

you did not mention that what you said is  import tax exemption qualified people only

What I said was this,

MOST IMPORTANTLY , you cannot register the car without your ID residency card, get that first.

I do not know if you are talking about what I said.

I am just giving my experience of bringing a car with me from the UK. It is just what I had to do

john champion wrote:

What I said was this,

I am just giving my experience of bringing a car with me from the UK. It is just what I had to do

you described timings about 30 days from receiving exemption paper work - this might be the case.  In general though, if you hold a maltese ID you are allowed to drive a car here for 30 days only no more.

There might be a tweak to this for tax exempt vehicles, the rule is though - if you hold a ID you have 30 days to register, thats it.  So if you are moving here and get and ID, you have 30 days after.  If you do not have an ID you have 6 or 7 months to drive it here before removing it from the island.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/ve … dex_en.htm

Regarding fitting the number plates,you can buy a plastic holder from any garage  mine cost 8 euros, then you fix the holders on & slide the number plate in, very easy.

OK this is my last post on this.

if you get your ID then apply for exemption from import tax you cannot register the car until you receive the exemption certificate then you have 30 days. I drove here for 6 months with ID and it was not an issue because I was waiting for the certificate which actually came in month 8 and the transport department sent me an extension permit to drive the car AFTER the 6 months expired for a further three months until the certificate arrived.

I think you will find that it is a Maltese Citizen that has only 30 days from import date not an EU residency ID holder

john champion wrote:

OK this is my last post on this.

You seem to be getting all excited as if I am saying you are wrong. I am not. I am saying the process and experience for tax exempt vehicles is not like those who pay registration and your experience thus does not apply to everyone. I am not saying you are wrong!

People reading you overly aggressive messages should just note it applies only to tax exempt people and not for ones who pay registration

volcane wrote:
john champion wrote:

What I said was this,

you described timings about 30 days from receiving exemption paper work - this might be the case.  In general though, if you hold a maltese ID you are allowed to drive a car here for 30 days only no more.

There might be a tweak to this for tax exempt vehicles, the rule is though - if you hold a ID you have 30 days to register, thats it.  So if you are moving here and get and ID, you have 30 days after.  If you do not have an ID you have 6 or 7 months to drive it here before removing it from the island.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/ve … dex_en.htm

I had sorted my ID 2 months before my car came over, so sorry if I didn't mention that part in my experience.
With regards the exemption, once you have submitted your paperwork with the Finance Ministry they will send you a permit to drive the car whilst you wait for their decision. They gave me a 6 month permit, but the exemption actually came through within the first month. Please note it must be insured in Malta....most companies are happy to insure you but on a third party basis until you get your plates.

Please note that you can be fined about €30 a day for every day over the 30 day period if you get caught without a permit.

OK last one as I need to clear this up.

I arrived in February 2016, I got my ID the same month and applied for the exemption tax. I did not need a permit to drive the car from Malta transport as I said before because you can drive it for 6 months as an EU citizen on UK plates. I was in touch with Malta Transport weekly until my exemption certificate came which took 8 months. They sent me a permit at the end of the six months for a further three months.

I insured my car here fully comprehensive including breakdown cover with the UK plates on it, they just changed the paperwork once it had the Maltese plates.